The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hating on other cars. Hyundai at the moment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Sooo....i have a 2004 hyundai santa fe 2.4 its a teenager car and I figured I could maintain it easily as it has similar attributes as a mitsu. Well screw that. I did a timing belt today. What a screwed up departure to how mitsu does it. Ive lost count how many belts ive done but this one kicked my ass at every corner. Im still not 100% sure I got the cam marks right. 99% yes. I haven't driven it yet. Started fine and sounded fine. I'm just so pissed about it at the moment. And these motors are supposed to be very similar to evo. Anybody wanna chime in on hyundai or kia similarity?

I feel your pain. I got a 2013 Kia Forte coupe with the same 2.4 (minus the GDi part). I had to replace the engine back in June. Tore the old blown engine apart and holy sh!t I got a nice dose of nothing like a DSM engine. I can honestly say there where some things about the way my Kia was assembled that I wish DSMs had, but over all, I'd rather work on a DSM.

As for similarities, the 2.0/2.4 Theta II engines and the 4B11 are in the same family of engines. They were built under contract between Hyundai/Kia, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and one of the French car makers, and dubbed the "world engine". I ended up doing a lot of research on this back when my engine blew. In time, I will be swapping a 4B11T into my Kia, for more reasons than just the boost. These engines are so similar that I can straight up drop a 4B11 into my car with my Kia auto trans and it will all work as long as I swap the engine harness and ECU as well.

Car ran ok but im chasing another intermittent problem. Misfires. Was on 2 and 3 so I swapped coils to 4 and 1. Problem did not follow. Cleared up for a few days and tonight it flagged all 4 cylinders Car ran fine for me for several miles. Later on in the evening with the 16 yr old it didnt. Figured it has to be ignition module, ecu or fuel pump/pressure related in order to flag all 4. Plug and wires are new as are coil boots.

Ive never liked Hyundai, did an engine in a accent for a guy and honestly that was the easiest engine swap ive ever done out and back in running in 2 hours. But I still hate Hyundai, so many design flaws.
Ive started digging into vdubs and Audi's, they're another thing to just shake your head at....dreading having to do the timing job on my mk7 gti in a few thousand miles. But i absolutely love euro diesels my mk6 golf tdi was the best car i ever owned for sure.

I don't have enough info to fix this stupid thing. I'm down to throwing parts at it. 2004 santa fe 2.4 manual trans.
Multiple misfire code p0300 and codes for all 4 cylinders. We put plugs, wires and coil boots on it a few months back.
misfire is intermittent. Sometimes it will misfire at idle but it's mostly under load. Thinking fuel pump but I can't put a gauge on it easily. Regulator looks ok. No fuel leaking out of it. I pulled the fuel hoses and it is delivering fuel but I don't know how well.
No other codes at all. Anybody got any thoughts?

Fixed a 2020 hyundai this week at the body shop. Brand new $1,395 headlight within 4 days already with moisture in it.. Little off putting when oem parts are not good out of the box.

A buddy of mine got a Tiburon v6 6spd in the early 2000's. It blew MAF's like crazy and other electronics. After a little over a year he successfully got the lemon law passed on it. It scared me away from ever taking a chance on their cars.

A buddy of mine got a Tiburon v6 6spd in the early 2000's. It blew MAF's like crazy and other electronics. After a little over a year he successfully got the lemon law passed on it. It scared me away from ever taking a chance on their cars.

How can I go about doing the lemon law thing? Even though I replaced my engine, I still believe it will fail one day and then I'll be back to needing to replace it again.

Given
How can I go about doing the lemon law thing? Even though I replaced my engine, I still believe it will fail one day and then I'll be back to needing to replace it again.
Given that your car is a 2013 I think you're long past being able to do anything.

I believe pauleyman is correct. My friends car was purchased at the dealership brand new no owner. It was under warranty and from what i understood from my friend was the dealership pushed the issue to have that motion passed from having to constantly repair the vehicle on their dollar. Once a vehicle gets a few years under it and a couple of owners they tend to give you the run around about owner error maintenance or operator mistreatment while driving, basically blaming you. Which sucks for people who take great care of their cars and they break due to defects from manufacturing and bad design.

I believe pauleyman is correct. My friends car was purchased at the dealership brand new no owner. It was under warranty and from what i understood from my friend was the dealership pushed the issue to have that motion passed from having to constantly repair the vehicle on their dollar. Once a vehicle gets a few years under it and a couple of owners they tend to give you the run around about owner error maintenance or operator mistreatment while driving, basically blaming you. Which sucks for people who take great care of their cars and they break due to defects from manufacturing and bad design.

Given

Given that your car is a 2013 I think you're long past being able to do anything.
Well that f@&king blows. I did buy it used from a Nissan dealer. When I talked to Kia, they wanted no part of it, then my powertrain warranty through Nissan, didn't actually cover anything powertrain related. It was a mess, and in the end I got shafted. Never again.

I
Well that f@&king blows. I did buy it used from a Nissan dealer. When I talked to Kia, they wanted no part of it, then my powertrain warranty through Nissan, didn't actually cover anything powertrain related. It was a mess, and in the end I got shafted. Never again.
got my wife a 2010 chevy traverse because she had to have one . Right as i paid it off the transfer case broke 3k, then the power steering system broke internally in the gearing which parts were like 1500 to 2k. At that point I gave up. I would steer clear of those vehicles too. I feel your pain.

I’d like to hate on Chevy for the 4l60. Everyone has heard the memes and makes jokes but until you rebuild one after a failure you have no idea how unrewarding it is to invest 10’s of hours to achieve mediocrity.

I have a coworker who's Sante Fe just seized the engine; Apparently it is covered by a class-action settlement. I really like the new Veloster N, and have mused at unloading my 90 gsx in favor of a nice new hot car, but then I remember that it’s no guaranty, and its better to have a car with far less computers and sensors (in everything!).

A little update. It's still misfiring occasionally. and lacking some better scan equipment I threw some parts at it. new fuel pump assembly (gauge was wonky anyway) and new coils. I haven't driven it much but I drove it a little tonight and it blinked check engine light a few time and set a pending code for 1 and 4. At this point I'm thinking ignition transistor module or possibly ECU. It hasn't flagged any other codes to suspect anything else. O2 sensor is a few months old as it had failed. It goes closed loop. Coolant temp is good. Fuel trims are good. Revs fine, idles fine. I took out plugs again to make sure the teenager gapped them properly and didn't drop one of something. No issues. I can't see the problem being mechanical with more than one cylinder misfiring but I may go ahead and do a compression and leak down test.
Getting to my wits end here. I've torn down many engines like this and diagnosed literally hundreds of issues and never had one defeat me this bad before.

Another update. To date I've replaced coils, plugs and wires. New fuel pump assembly and I've looked at the pressure regulator. No fuel comes out of the vacuum nipple so i am assuming the regulator is fine. I thought i had found the problem when i discovered the cam sensor connector was badly damaged and hidden under some electrical tape. I have clipped the harness and replaced everything about 6 inches back. It uses the same connector as a 2gb dsm. Without some better scan equipment i think I've reached the end if what i can diagnose. Its currently intermittently flagging all 4 cylinder misfire and a multiple cylinder misfire codes.
Its a 2004 hyundai santa fe 2.4.
Suggestions?

Before anybody asks i wouldn't normallythrow parts at it but they were so cheap and easy to do versus diagnostic fees. I didn't have the correct fuel pressure adapter. It was flagging all 4 then just 1 and 4 after fuel pump so i thought I'd found it with coils. Nope. Now its back to all 4 again. I need some better equipment but its beyond the scope of my home garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling when you figure it out its going to be something very easy to overlook. Are you going to take it to get a diagnosis. Personally ive had so many issues with shops when i don't have the means to do at home. Even alignment and tire shops make me nervous.

You might actually be able to run evoscan on it for codes and what not. I think ive got the program I dont think ive ever attempted to connect it to the car or i would tell you for sure sorry.

EvoScan is a great diagnostic tool that works well with the factory ecu’s. You can read real time values and do logging to help watch for changing conditions.

Poked around on their website, and there was a brief mention of Hyundai, but it’s probably best to email them and describe the application you’re looking for to see if it’s compatible with your ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back