The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Hatch leaking when opened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcomsnow245

10+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2011
chicago, Illinois
Hey guys, every time i open my hatch after it rained for a while at the corner of the plastic cover water drains out and it's really annoying. I tried finding the problem but couldn't. Do any of you guys know what is causing this?

Check for clogged drains. There should be some drains in the channel and after time can get clogged with leaves and such.

I took the plastic cover off and I put sound deadening on all of that so I have no idea how it's still getting there so weird.

The leak is at the base of the rear glass. Put some clear silicone along the bottom of the glass. This will fix it. Have had to do this to 3 different DSM's, worked every time.

I'm going to look it's nice out.

The leak is at the base of the rear glass. Put some clear silicone along the bottom of the glass. This will fix it. Have had to do this to 3 different DSM's, worked every time.

Yea I'll go try that.

The power of water is something we will never figure out. What I have came up with on my own car was one of 3 different problems. Water can be running down channel backing up due to a clogged drain or other opbstruction and running past the seals and into the plastic. It could also be leaking in through the bolt holes for the rear spoiler/wiper mount. Or the window seal could be leaking causing the water to seep in. one way to tell is to pull down the plastic climb inside the hatch with it closed and have someone take a hose a pressure washer and just keep spraying the rear of the car but not to close. Make sure you have a high power drop light or flash light to check around the possible leak areas. If you have a wet or damp hatch carpeting you may also want to check the taillight seals where the taillights meet the body and pull the plastic back on the left and right side and check the inner sheetmetal seam where the quarter panel meets the floorboard and rear bumper. Alot of time water will seep into the seam and make a carpet nasty. Just using silicone will fix the seam and some new weatherstrip tape could help the taillight mounting surface.

Do this from the outside or the inside?

The power of water is something we will never figure out. What I have came up with on my own car was one of 3 different problems. Water can be running down channel backing up due to a clogged drain or other opbstruction and running past the seals and into the plastic. It could also be leaking in through the bolt holes for the rear spoiler/wiper mount. Or the window seal could be leaking causing the water to seep in. one way to tell is to pull down the plastic climb inside the hatch with it closed and have someone take a hose a pressure washer and just keep spraying the rear of the car but not to close. Make sure you have a high power drop light or flash light to check around the possible leak areas. If you have a wet or damp hatch carpeting you may also want to check the taillight seals where the taillights meet the body and pull the plastic back on the left and right side and check the inner sheetmetal seam where the quarter panel meets the floorboard and rear bumper. Alot of time water will seep into the seam and make a carpet nasty. Just using silicone will fix the seam and some new weatherstrip tape could help the taillight mounting surface.

Hmmm sounds so familiar :hmm: ;) http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/401177-heard-splashing-my-hatch-not-happy-what-i-found.html

I did that today I used clear silicone and did the inside and sealed it. I also cleaned all the water passage ways. I looks so clean around the trunk now it is so worth it. :thumb:

I'll let you guys know if it worked. :thumb:

So, did it work? Im having the EXACT same leak, where the glass is sealed to the hatch, at the bottom base of the hatch. Im kicking around the idea of removing the rear glass, cleaning the surface rust off, and calling the glass company over to reseal my glass to my hatch for me. Problem is, it almost looks like the damn hatch was built around the glass and that it would be next to impossible to remove this without breaking the glass. To further complicate things, I JUST had the car painted and every part of the car was removed- bumpers, mirrors, all trim and weather stripping, door handles and hatch were all painted separately. Why the hell my friend who painted the car didnt notice that the hatch needed to be resealed is beyond me, but now, my options are to either reseal the glass, try what you tried if your method worked, or to find another Laser hatch that came with a spoiler that has absolutely NO signs of ever having leaked water at the glass seal and get the damn thing painted and swap hatches :ohdamn:

I had the same problem was leaking from the centre mount of the spoiler, where the wire comes in.

Just a side note, it can leak in from the fuel filler door, especially if you have a dent along the body panel seams, the window, the spoiler the rear tail lights and the wiper motor. have someone run a hose over the car wile your inside with a flashlight...best way to find them.

What is this "corner of the plastic cover"? Could someone please describe this to me?
It's like you guys have your own little group or something, you only know what is being talked about if you're part of the group! ROFL

It is more common to have leaks along the spoiler or the hatch glass?

Had this problem, I would open my hatch and water would flood out from the plastic inside into my back seats. So first I used silicone on my high rise wing,Still would leak. Next I replaced the seal on the window and still would leak. Then I put silicone around the whole window and it would still leak!!! Then one day I realized my gst has a rear wiper and the motor looked rusted and seized(it doesn't work) so I put silicone around the black rubber part on the outside and wouldn't you know it that thats where te water was leaking in from. Try that because I
Haven't had a drop of water since.

Replaceing the drain tubes fixed my "leak" issue. They were kinked halfway down. Bought some thicker walled tubing and some new fasteners and haven't had an issue since. My rear window seal is flakey too, but no leaks.

Replaceing the drain tubes fixed my "leak" issue. They were kinked halfway down. Bought some thicker walled tubing and some new fasteners and haven't had an issue since. My rear window seal is flakey too, but no leaks.

+1 on this, I had the same problem and it was my drain lines in the hatch jamb (one on LH side and one on RH side) that were clogged up with 15 years worth of grime. I just stuck a coat hangar wire down them a few times until they were "clean".

+1 on this, I had the same problem and it was my drain lines in the hatch jamb (one on LH side and one on RH side) that were clogged up with 15 years worth of grime. I just stuck a coat hangar wire down them a few times until they were "clean".

How long since you cleaned them out? Mine were filled too, but if your's didn't have a kink in it, then thats amazing.

My god dude, you just raped this whole sub-forum.

Trying to get out of Probationary Member status... Info is good though right?

Oh, and I'm at work bored out of my mind. Thought I could add my .02.

Trying to get out of Probationary Member status... Info is good though right?

Oh, and I'm at work bored out of my mind. Thought I could add my .02.

Yeah haha, I saw your name on every post thinking you'd spammed some website url or just posted "Nice!" or something on everything haha. I was pleasantly surprised. ;)

What is this "corner of the plastic cover"? Could someone please describe this to me?
It's like you guys have your own little group or something, you only know what is being talked about if you're part of the group! ROFL

It is more common to have leaks along the spoiler or the hatch glass?

under the hatch where the sides meet the back cover there is an overlap and there is a bulge on the back cover for the wiper the water pools in here then when you lift the hatch it runs down and and soaks everything in your back seat.:ohdamn:

Thanks for the response!

After washing the car, if I press on on the trunk lid I can get bit of water seeping out from beneath the window seal. Probably a good idea to lay a small bead down before it leaks.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back