The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone use a Comp Turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The dealer say Comp have a very good and fast service.

I'm sure they do, but you'll find that folks here prefer FP, Holset, MHI, Garrett, PTE, ect. for a variety of reasons.

DSM'ers are extremely critical of the turbocharger they run since it's one of the easiest parts of their setup to change and results speak for themselves; check out the 1/4 mile and dyno challenge lists if you haven't already and you'll see a Comp turbo in a sea of the other turbo brands I've mentioned, which is no coincidence :hmm:.

DSM 1/4 Mile Times - 1/4 ET

DSM Dyno Challenge - Highest Horsepower

OP: The Moderator that posted above you knows more about turbos than 90% of us ever will or care to. I would take his word. You have seen nothing but negative stuff about comps. These comps just seem like they arent a good turbo at all for our cars. Buy one if you absolutely have to but there are many other options. PTE has a questionable name(i happen to own one), but their BB units have had zero complaints that im aware of and for the most part their JB turbos havent caught too bad a rep lately either.
If it were me i would go with what Jusmx listed right at the top of the thread: That big ass 4205 JB. You can always get it rebuilt for cheap too, unlike a pte or comp bb unit.

As a good salesman should! That doesn't make it true. In your other thread you told us that you made a hair over 600whp.

You are now trying to make 50% more power and not suffer any lag penalty.. this is silly of course. There will be a higher boost threshold as you need a larger compressor, turbine wheel and turbine housing to make that power.

It's time to accept this, or hold off on more power.

The FP 4205 is on my shortlist if I don't go to an 80mm Borg later on, especially at that price.

The dealer say the rebuild not expensive a little bit more then as non bb turbo.

He use the turbos in toyota supras with good power as pte or garrett.

The price is lower as a garrett or pte and spooling the same or better.

I want run a oilless turbo.

My precision works only a year now its smokes very strong.
Rebuilding is to expensiv!

The dealer say the rebuild not expensive a little bit more then as non bb turbo.

He use the turbos in toyota supras with good power as pte or garrett.

The price is lower as a garrett or pte and spooling the same or better.

I want run a oilless turbo.

The dealer, understandably, wants your money. Claims on theoretical spool are silly.. there are far too many variables to say so over the phone.

Why do you want to run an oil-less turbo?

You should probably figure out why your precision is smoking after a year before you put another expensive turbo on your car, regardless of brand. :thumb:

Yeah the dealer will tell you what ever to get a sale! LOL. justin posted my comments on the comp above and my stand has not changed. I like Justin at comp and joe but liking someone doesn't make a product good. I literally wasted two years and who knows how many dollars trying to get a turbo from them that works with the 4g63 platform. Here are some of the combination I tried all being billet , triple bb units. 6265, 6465, 6467, 6765 none was daily driver friendly and the bad part was that I literally waited a month for each of the options tried above ,4 months of waiting was rediculoust:cry: I spent many hours on the phone with comp and tried to explain what I though was wrong did they listen who knows, maybe they thought I was someone trying to get something for nothing. I stuck with them because I was caught up on this triple ball bearing deal. In the end I ended up moving on and purchased for 1500.00 a pte 6266 cea bb unit. Not only did it out spool the comp but made more power as well I have a dyno sheet comparison of the 6467 triple ball bearing extended tip ct4 .63 ar vs a pte 6266 cea 82ar both around the same boost the pte whipped that you know what! Finally the turbo I was looking for:sneaky:

Last edited:
Oh these are no good experiences with the company comp.
Nevertheless, maybe it is better if I just on ams 950 r change this fits plug and play.

I would have tried out just with pleasure sometimes comp turbos another there I think this this turbos big potential have

I don't know turbos very well but one thing I do know. Everybody runs the same brands because they have a tested track recorded. Sure people do run comp turbos but don't you want your car running at top efficiency? Pick a turbo that has a great support (turbo maps, rebuildable) and a durable dependable racing background.

The DNP is a good budget manifold, but i dont know how it would fair with a big turbo, i mean fhe DNP's are made from 16 gauge pipe, and most others use sch10 which is quite a bit thicker. I'd think the weight of a heavy turbo would make that manifold more crack prone.

Can't say anything for the turbo you choose though. But what results? Lol

How much does your car make at 1 bar boost and over 2k rpm short of redline on it's most aggressive tune? LOL

Next pull after the MBC was installed we saw 38psi, which it made just shy of 6k rpm but we had to get out of it. Torque was near vertical till the tires spun on the rollers.

Fixed the MBC, test pull it made 20psi but we had to shut down due to a coolant leak from my lower rad hose. Expect new numbers this week. Also this is a "stock" short block we're playing with for the next season or two.

So, again what's your car making? :hmm:

I don't know at a bar because it doesn't make sense to me to run a giant turbo at 1/2 it potential. That not fast. Bolting that turbo to a sock motor makes a lot of sense too.

I don't know my power level either, only lbs/min. It's a pretty healthy car running 29ish psi on my new 10:1 motor.

He will probably be happy but wont know what hes missing basically. I dont see why the comp would fall apart or break prematurely. They're used by a lot of different scenes. As stated a million times here, theyre not popular with the dsm scene cause they're apparently not so efficient. Could of bought a nice pte bb or even jb 6266 or 6667 and been waaaaay better off for about the same price if im not mistaken.

Hope you enjoy the new snail, OP. Best of luck to you and make sure you oil it the RIGHT way. Im sure this "dealer" will tell you the restrictor you need and drain specs etc.

As far as DNP, i was under the impression theyre very nice manis.

This thread is sort of amusing.. "hey guys what do you think of these turbos?"

*receives uniform negative response from people with hands on experience*

"I bought one anyway"

LOL

I don't know at a bar because it doesn't make sense to me to run a giant turbo at 1/2 it potential. That not fast. Bolting that turbo to a sock motor makes a lot of sense too.

I don't know my power level either, only lbs/min. It's a pretty healthy car running 29ish psi on my new 10:1 motor.

Way to miss the point guy. ROFL

Anyways, went back made ~600whp on a heartbreaker with a wee bit more boost and put her away till spring. :thumb:

It's a very responsive turbo, and based on drive pressure / egts, very efficient which makes it a great match for making power on a stock shortblock.

Way to miss the point guy. ROFL

Anyways, went back made ~600whp on a heartbreaker with a wee bit more boost and put her away till spring. :thumb:

It's a very responsive turbo, and based on drive pressure / egts, very efficient which makes it a great match for making power on a stock shortblock.

No I got the point. Sorry I don't know how much power my car makes in a non optimal state of tune. I'm glad you do though and are here bragging about it in every other thread.

You're right about the hx52, it does create low eft,a and will operate with favorable pressure ratios. Most large turbos used for performance applications do. And of course it will make some power on a stock motor. But there are a hundred other turbos that will scrap a 6 bolt rod that are much better I.e. faster based on the powe a stock motor can handle. I also can't wait to see how you plans to get a couple years out of you 600hp stock motor works out if you are actually racing and deiving it semi regularly.

No I got the point. Sorry I don't know how much power my car makes in a non optimal state of tune. I'm glad you do though and are here bragging about it in every other thread.

You're right about the hx52, it does create low eft,a and will operate with favorable pressure ratios. Most large turbos used for performance applications do. And of course it will make some power on a stock motor. But there are a hundred other turbos that will scrap a 6 bolt rod that are much better I.e. faster based on the powe a stock motor can handle. I also can't wait to see how you plans to get a couple years out of you 600hp stock motor works out if you are actually racing and deiving it semi regularly.

This motor is over 5 years old. It spent two years at 35+ psi, moving upwards of 67lbs/min and was daily driven for a large portion of that time.

To the point is, when you were talking out your ass earlier, we hadn't even finished the tune and made more power than your HX35 could hope to, even on a "built" motor.

Consider also what this setup is to be used for: 1/2 mile and longer courses. If you can't figure out why more power with less boost would be useful I'd thoroughly enjoy watching you try to keep it together for 3+ miles at WOT with all the excess heat and pressure that comes with a small turbine running out 5th gear.. you are adorably naive. Keep taking sh!t and going slow, my friend. LOL

This motor is over 5 years old. It spent two years at 35+ psi, moving upwards of 67lbs/min and was daily driven for a large portion of that time.

To the point is, when you were talking out your ass earlier, we hadn't even finished the tune and made more power than your HX35 could hope to, even on a "built" motor.

Consider also what this setup is to be used for: 1/2 mile and longer courses. If you can't figure out why more power with less boost would be useful I'd thoroughly enjoy watching you try to keep it together for 3+ miles at WOT with all the excess heat and pressure that comes with a small turbine running out 5th gear.. you are adorably naive. Keep taking sh!t and going slow, my friend. LOL

You must have gotten one of the original 4g63 blocks when quality was top notched. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back