1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Has anyone tried making the coil-on-plug plate in acrylic

Posted by cano86, Oct 15, 2008

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. cano86

cano86 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Hartford, Connecticut
    I want to know if anyone has tried making their plate out of acrylic ### I was going to make one in steel but in the basement all I found was a thick sheet of acrylic around .5" and thought it'll look nice since am painting the valve cover dark green if anyone has pictures of one done in acrylic and wouldn't mind posting some thanks. I'll post pick after am done if I could do it thanks a lot

I also wanted to thank everyone for their support in our car needs and for always being there thanks to all our DSM community.:thumb::dsm::talon::laser:

Street Build 1K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 965  3

manual · 2G DSM
  2. DSM007

DSM007 Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2003
    When I was at piper aircraft and they used to make their own windshields they had to pin them down to the mold before they stuck the acrylic in the oven,reason why was because the material would shrink and curl under heat.....so I would say try it but ya might run a risk of it maybe deforming from the engine heat....if it dont work use Plexiglas.

3. cano86

cano86 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Hartford, Connecticut
    Thanks for your advise

Street Build 1K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 965  3

manual · 2G DSM
  4. r1991_4g63t

r1991_4g63t Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2008
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    dont the coils ground through the metal in the plate?

5. cano86

cano86 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Hartford, Connecticut
    The coil is no problem I could run a small plate from the coils to the screws

Street Build 1K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 965  3

manual · 2G DSM
  6. dazzellerr

dazzellerr Proven Member

Joined Dec 15, 2007
    boise, Idaho
    polycarbonate would be a better choice. some offer a heat resistant grade. acryllic aka plexiglass is hard, absorbs heat, and does curl, bubble, crack, ect. if you do decide this, remember that when working with plastics, you can use the same tools as woodworking, router with same bits, table saw, skill saw, ect. be sure and at least chamfer the outside edges of whatever material you will be using, but like i said, poly would be best. (lexan product name, but you get the idea) you may experiment with both poly and acryllic with a lighter to see what each does, but i know that even .5" acryllic will bubble up and melt under a 60w normal house bulb 4 inches away. also, whatever material, make sure to get smoked as any plastic will discolor with heat, especially in a dirty engine bay.

7. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Yeah, Lexan will hold up to it. See if you have a TAP Plastics shop in your town, they'll be able to steer you.

You could engrave it with a sandblaster and stencils, too.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  8. cano86

cano86 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Hartford, Connecticut
    Thanks a lot for all your help I will be considering the LEXAN since I dont want to have to pull out a burnt acrylic cover.I knew you guys would help me thank you.

Street Build 1K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 965  3

manual · 2G DSM
  9. dazzellerr

dazzellerr Proven Member

Joined Dec 15, 2007
    boise, Idaho
    just remember, lexan is a company that makes polycarbonate. be sure to ask for poly, not lexan, you will be buying the name, not the product. ;)

10. cano86

cano86 Proven Member

Joined Jun 30, 2008
    Hartford, Connecticut
    Thanks

Street Build 1K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 965  3

manual · 2G DSM