The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Has Anyone Ever Bought Itm Pistons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanley talon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 10, 2005
Spencer, Indiana
I was searching diffrent places to buy factory spec turbo pistons the cheapest set i found was at Northen auto parts . There pistons were 138.00 shipping included . So i asked where do you get them from and they said they come from ITM . Has anyone ever used these? Are they good or bad?

chanley talon said:
I was searching diffrent places to buy factory spec turbo pistons the cheapest set i found was at Northen auto parts . There pistons were 138.00 shipping included . So i asked where do you get them from and they said they come from ITM . Has anyone ever used these? Are they good or bad?

I have ITM pistons in my stock rebuil shortblock and they have held up fine for over 5k miles. Most of these miles were at 25+ psi and some were even at 30+psi with no issues what so ever. They are an exact copy of the oem pistons and the tops are coated just like oem.

I didn't the know that OEM pistons were ITM. LOL. I heard they were pretty good.

-Hardin

You can buy Nippon pistons through an ebay seller for less than $100 shipped with rings. They are identical to what you will receive if you buy "OEM" pistons through Slowboy or ExtremePsi but you will save about $120.

When I bought my first set of 2g pistons from Slowboy they sent me a set of Nippon pistons. I called and threw a fit since they were listed under OEM parts on their site and not listed in the same section as the Toplines. They swore up and down that Nippon made the OEM pistons for Mitsu originally.

I will say that after running a set in my 7 bolt and in a 6 bolt I am very happy with them as they have stood up to quite a beating while I was learning to tune.

I would try Nippon pistons. Here's the deal i pulled three out that had cracked piston ring lands due to the material just falling apart or maybe some detonation had occurred but the one piston that was original was fine . I have never had a o.e.m. piston do this out of several builds. I find it strange that 3 i.t.m. failed and the o.em. was fine. I'm not saying don't buy them i am just letting you know my experience with them.

From what I have been able to find, the NPR pistons are made in Japan and the ITM ones are made in Tiawan. So, it may be the same casting (because they do look identical) but maybe the alloy they make the pistons out of is different... I dunno. But, I would like to know where 1timehondalover got his pistons from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back