The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Has anyone else seen engines like this before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
I was talking to a guy at the track today about racing and he mentioned to me guys running motors upwards of 900ci so I went home and checked it out and just absolutely amazed by this I think it's incredible the size of the motor and the power these bad boys can put down naturally aspirated I figured I would share for anyone else who didn't know motors this big existed Anyone need a 1005 cubic inch engine? - AR15.Com Archive

Marine & giant off-road truck engine; two-stroke diesel. 24 cylinders, 71 cubic inches per for a total of 1,704 cubic inches. Four turbos.

Wonder how much fuel this baby consumes at cruising speed on the open water? LOL

detroit diesel 24v71 start up - YouTube

....and for the radial engine fans, we have the Pratt & Whitney R-4360. This WWII-era monster is...you guessed it....4360 cubic inches rated at 3000-4000hp depending on the production run. Four-row radial, 7 cylinders on each row for a total of 28 cylinders on this beast....and you thought setting the base timing on a 1G was hard. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBMsdXGOm5A

Prototype aircraft the Hughes H-4 Hercules has EIGHT of those engines; four mounted to each wing. The Hercules is made entirely of wood (WTF) and has the largest wingspan of any plane ever produced.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

32,000hp I think it'll manage just fine ROFL Marine and aircraft engines are insane, gigantic displacement gigantic turbos and the low speed diesels burn what is basically road tar! WTF

Holy crap those motors are huge!! That's rediculous I cannot imagine the work it would take to get them running correctly! WTF and that plane is enormous LOL I don't get how things that big can fly

When I was working in power plants back in the day, we had 8x 7042 ci V-12's that were hooked up to generators. Max RPM was 1200. Working on those things was a cast iron bi***.. but I sure did learn an awful lot about engines, motors, boilers, chillers, pumps etc.

Each cylinder had it's own individual head (weighing 210 pounds) and the pistons were about 32 pounds of solid aluminum.

Even those are considered 'small'. Check out some shipboard engines or real massive stuff like Wartsila / whomever.

Here's a cylinder liner from one, a valve head broke off the stem and proceeded to destroy it, the head and the piston.

Attachments

• wreckedliner.jpg
    wreckedliner.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 31
Yeah, it's kinda shitty about that whole situation....using Government funds to build a plane that was never put into service- but it's just so damn cool. I mean a 320ft wingspan- the wings are the width of a football field. Ridiculous!

.I work on 16cyl cat engines that we use for generators. We burn methane through them and produce about 820kw per engine. Its neat stuff with a free fuel source.(landfill gas)
So far we have a 6 engine generation plant with room for 2 more generators for future expansion.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0519.jpg
    IMAG0519.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20120711_011111.jpg
    IMG_20120711_011111.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 34
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back