The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Has anyone done a custom exhaust for a NA 1994 Eclipse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royal_flush

Probationary Member
Oct 3, 2023
Illinois
So I've got a 1994 Eclipse GS, which is NA and FWD. I can't seem to find anything to redo exhaust in the way of headers or even catbacks. Has anyone done this themselves? I'd like to know if there's any kits I haven't been able to find yet. I'm looking to replace the stock exhaust manifold with new headers, replace the rusted out downpipe, and then work on the entire cat back system (which is also rusted out and toast). Tips, pointers, personal experience, and specific ideas would be awesome.

The last 1g is nearly 30 years old. Any kits available are very likely out of production. Any muffler shop should be able to do what you need with the exception of a header and on an n/a car you wouldn't see much. There simply isn't enough airflow.

You can still find a header if you look deep enough, will be the typical Chinese knock off one but it does the job. I know it’s not as widely available as it was a few years ago but it’s out there. Another option is to snag a factory header off of a 2g nt Spyder (basically the same design as the Chinese ones) but it’s hard to find one that isn’t cracked after 25 years of use.

As far as the exhaust goes when my car was non turbo originally I had a muffler shop build me a 2.5” exhaust from the manifold to a flow master knockoff muffler. Sounded great at idle but needed a resonator added desperately otherwise.

Below is a picture of the typical Chinese header that’s out there on a parts car I gave, and no I’m not interested in selling it but just to show that it’s out there.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can still find a header if you look deep enough, will be the typical Chinese knock off one but it does the job. I know it’s not as widely available as it was a few years ago but it’s out there. Another option is to snag a factory header off of a 2g nt Spyder (basically the same design as the Chinese ones)
So you're saying a 2g NA Spyder has a direct replacement header? I think that'll probably be tons easier to find, since the 2g of Eclipses are so much more popular. (Results for parts on those have a bad habit of burying 1g parts, even with filters and such... :/ )

Do you maybe remember a name or company that sold the aftermarket headers? I spent a chunk of time looking for ones that would work last night and came up dry, so it would very much expedite the process if I had somewhere to start looking.

Thanks!

There was no company name to them, they were made in China and sold here by a bunch of different vendors as Megan, Cx, etc brand. Could always find them back in the day by typing in “94 Eclipse header”.

The 2g nt Eclipse Spyder factory header will work but remember again, you’ll have to source a used one as I’ve never seen new replacements listed. An exhaust shop would likely have to build you the down pipe section to the rest of the exhaust but having that flange at the bare least from one of those cars would help their case. It has to be from a nt 2g Eclipse Spyder with the 4g64, a regular nt 2g has the 420a engine and the cast manifold from one of those would not come remotely close to fitting.

I typed in “92 Eclipse header” on Google and this was the first result, same one I have pictured on a car above.

I typed in “92 Eclipse header” on Google and this was the first result, same one I have pictured on a car above.
Awesome, I was doing some research, found a similar one, but it was on a scam website, 2040-parts.com. (yes, it is absolutely a scam... don't ever buy anything from it, if anyone is wondering about that)

It's a little bit hilarious to me that you found the right part searching for a completely separate part, and yet I couldn't get that even searching for it... But thank you, it seems to be right, I'll look into most likely grabbing that as a header.

When I had na i had my exhaust built by a muffler shop. But it used the stock manifold , back in 95. Its waa nice and simple till I did my turbo swap .

That’s the downfall to a part like that for an older platform that doesn’t have a huge following, I can’t promise this “RNJ performance” is legit either as they have it listed like it’s their product when it’s the same generic Chinese piece that’s been offered by various vendors for the last 20 years, but there’s always ways to protect your purchase and all these vendors over the years (Megan, Pacesetter, OBX, Nopi, XSpower, etc) sold products like this as “theirs” so I wouldn’t say that’s automatic terms for taking your money and running.

I did the same thing as Vic mentioned above initially, before I converted my car the stock cast manifold was cracked as they all do so I ported a Dorman stock replacement manifold and had Buschur send it out for jet coating. I can say if I gained anything from porting it it wasn’t noticeable but looked good coated none the less. You might pick up 5 horsepower or so if that’s what you’re looking for going with this header so don’t expect a difference you can feel, but they do look pretty good if anything and I can almost guarantee your cars original manifold is cracked so this would be a good replacement in that light no matter how you look at it.

OP, do you have a 4g37 or 4g63? Being a non turbo it could be equipped with either. If you are 4g63 equipped then everything in this thread is good advice, but if you are 4g37 equipped it's back to square one as the manifold/header is not interchangeable.
Yep mine is a 4G63. I've actually never heard of the 4G37, so I learned something new today... 😂👍

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back