The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G hard to start when cold and surging. timing issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfield102j

Proven Member
May 12, 2015
Spring Creek, Pennsylvania
Timing issue?

My car is hard to start when cold. It has a choppy idle going from 1000 rpm to 1400rpm. Ive checked TPS and all other sensors. It has a CEL after running for a couple min. I checked the codes and it says everything is fine no codes.

I tried to set ignition timing. With plug on fire wall grounded timing set to 5 degree BTDC. Still slightly rough idle. Unground plug and check timing and it retards it another 15 degrees or so.

lil lost and confused any input would be great. Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like maybe a spark issue. Have you checked the wires to make sure they are producing a good spark. While your there,I would double check the spark plug gap as well.

It has bran new ngk blue wires and bran new plugs. Was running good then it spit altornator belt and started to over heat. Parked it put new belt on and was gonna set ignition timing and that is when problem started. I will check all the plugs when i get home.

Did you ever unhook your CAS? Apparently they can be installed 180 degrees out which will cause some issues obviously. Just a thought but if you never removed it after the car was running strong you can cross that off the list of possible problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back