The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Hard to get into gear when engine running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjd6795

Proven Member
May 14, 2014
Wilsonville, Oregon
So just recently I have started having issues with my transmission. When the car is off shifting is smooth, when the car is idling it's very hard to get it into any gear, once you get it into gear you can hear some chatter/metal rotating on metal noise, this goes away once you start driving. When driving it's very hard to shift into any gear however sometimes it's fine. Nothing is leaking and adjustments are fine, I am leaning towards throw out bearing but also wondering if a failing pressure plate will cause this?

So just recently I have started having issues with my transmission. When the car is off shifting is smooth, when the car is idling it's very hard to get it into any gear, once you get it into gear you can hear some chatter/metal rotating on metal noise, this goes away once you start driving. When driving it's very hard to shift into any gear however sometimes it's fine. Nothing is leaking and adjustments are fine, I am leaning towards throw out bearing but also wondering if a failing pressure plate will cause this?
Which car is this?
Have you tested for clutch drag?
Moving through gears while not running isn't shifting. You're simply moving the sleeves. The synchro dont have to do anything. It stands to reason any trans would "shift" even one that isn't installed. Basically unless something is physically broken this really doeant tell you anything.
How old and what clutch is it?

I had the Same Problem on one of my cars.
After several clutch bleedings I removed the transmission.
On the clutch disc, the clutch springs were worn out and blocked the clutch disc.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Before you pull anything out or open up the trans, check the clutch pedal and measure values A through D in the FSM, especially disengagement. If there's slop in the pedal and the clutch doesn't fully disengage, you won't be able to shift well under load, if at all. And even if there is pedal slop and you can fix it, there's a good chance that by now it's caused trans problems. Poor disengagement burns out synchros. That's probably what happened to my trans so I have to take everything off to see what's up.

Which car is this?
Have you tested for clutch drag?
Moving through gears while not running isn't shifting. You're simply moving the sleeves. The synchro dont have to do anything. It stands to reason any trans would "shift" even one that isn't installed. Basically unless something is physically broken this really doeant tell you anything.
How old and what clutch is it?
No idea on the clutch it's not stock is all I know. Clutch adjustment is perfect, it has no leaks fluid is full. It was more of a sudden change nothing really lead up to it happening, at first it started with first gear being hard to get into then minutes later it was all of the gears and proceeded with swirling metal noises inside the transmission. The noises weren't really loud sounds like light contact. I have actually decided to sell the Eclipse and get another daily.

The swirling noise sounds like the throwout bearing.
How much miles does your car have?
I guess that it's still the first clutch you are driving and it's usual wear for that age.
I wouldn't continue to drive the car, because if you force the gears I'm without properly clutch engagement, you will likely destroy your whole transmission.

The swirling noise sounds like the throwout bearing.
How much miles does your car have?
I guess that it's still the first clutch you are driving and it's usual wear for that age.
I wouldn't continue to drive the car, because if you force the gears I'm without properly clutch engagement, you will likely destroy your whole transmission.
It's not the first clutch. The car has around 330whp and the clutch hasn't slipped a single time in a whole year that I've owned the car. 147k chassis, 60k on block and transmission, and 3k on the head. The car has been parked in my garage once It was refusing to go into gear I parked it, I've already purchased another daily though. The GSX is going up for sale after debating what's the best decision at the moment for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back