The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hard engine shake and rpms won't go up normally

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big B

10+ Year Contributor
May 5, 2011
atlanta, Georgia
Hey the other day I when I was driving, I could not get any power. I would rev the engine but the rpms would barley go up. It seemed like it was a massive boost leak or a vacuum leak but I checked both and neither were the problem. I can barelyget enough juice to get out of first and the engine is shaking hard so I dont drive it. When in neutral the rpms drop to nearly nothing. Like around 200 rmp and it gets ready to stall. So I'm thinking it may be a fuel related problem. Maybe the fuel pump or fuel regualtor. But I wanted to get some opinions before I go changing things out beause i dont know how to check to see if thats the issue. Please help!

check your timing, it is probably off on one cam gear. how old are your timing belt and tensioner ?

Check your spark.

If you got bad gas (usually cheap gas) run some heet through, you could have a clogged fuel injector.

Timing would be my next guess, you may have skipped a tooth.

Yea I now have a check engine light on. First time it's ever been on. And I had my timing belt changed within the past 4 months. I took it to a shop to get the belt changed

I also only put in premium gas from shell. An the spark plugs were changed at the same time as the t belt. I used ngk ad I gapped them correctly myself. An I have already used the fuel injector cleaner and I use it about every oil change. With castrol gtx synthetic blend

It is possible you are only running on three cylinders. Might try removing the spark plug wires on at a time until you find one where the engines runs no worse with it removed.

I checked the t belt And that's fine. No skipped tooth or anything. The battery is fine. An now it won't start. It try's so hard and u hear it crank up an it's right there getting ready to start an it won't. Fuel problems maybe? Fuel injector or pump or something? I'm not the greatest when it come to dealing with cars, but I have gotten better messing with this Dsm LOL, but I don't want to take it to the shop. I feel like its a simple problem.

sounds exactly like what my car was doing when one of the plugs at the coil pack was loose... maybe check all of those connections and make sure they're tight?

Check for fuel at the rail. Pop off either side and see if a substantial amount of fuel comes out. Otherwise, check for fuel pressure (if you have the tools necessary).

Make sure everything is plugged in. MAF, Coil packs and Power transistor to name a few.

You're obviously misfiring. Check for spark on every spark plug and fuel at every injector, this could be numerous things.
-Spark plug wires
-Coil pack
-ECU
-CAS
-CPS
-MAF
-Fuel pump
-Injectors
-Injector resistor pack
-Possibly CTS

If it's only when warmed up, the o2 sensor would be a good place to check too. See if it's going into closed loop.

First things first, get that CEL read!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back