The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

hard cold starts???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safarijeepjim

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2012
wenatchee, Washington
ive been doing alot of searching already..but i thought id give u guys a description of whats done to my car. im new to this so bear with me. let me know if my set up is good or if it needs changes. all opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated! so heres my description of whats been done then ill tell you my starting issues. 99 gst 145,xxx miles, motor was rebuilt at 100,xxx miles, 3 layer headgasket and ARP head studs, 1000cc PTE injectors, FP exhaust manifold, evo3 16g turbo, 3" megan turbo back exhaust, kn filter, walbro 190 fuel pump, greddy rs bov, ETS front mount intercooler, abs delete, CC delete, stainless brake lines, shep fully rebuilt transmission with wavetrac LSD. megan coilovers, sway bars, ect. @ 130,xxx miles i put new balance shaft pully and belt, feul filter, timing belt, water pump, alternator, ngk plugs, rebuilt throttle body with all new seals and gaskets. i also have eprom ecu installed and esm link.
SO... heres my issues... main one is starting. when its cold it takes about 3 trys to get it to hold idle..otherwise it just dies out. once its running and warm the idle (which normally sits at 1k will ocassionally jump a few hundred rmp and go back to 1k. ive been researching and my best bet at this point is the air idle control valve..i have no check engine lights coming on. also when the car s warm it starts right up. second issue..using the dsm link i changed the stock boost gauge to be the battery gauge. while driving at night the lights will dim for a second like its having a heavy draw on the alternator (and it shows on the gauge) then back to normal..not sure if this is a normal thing or if i should be looking for a short or bad ground anywhere??:hmm:

Idling a little high when cold is completely normal for these cars (and most others). Unless like 2k rpms is not normal but 1200-1400ish would be pretty normal.

As for your starting problem, it sounds like you are having a lack of fuel pressure on cold starts so the pump has to build the pressure back up before it will run smooth. Sometime when you go to start it for the first time of the day go into link and enable the fuel pump on before starting it to make sure pressure is built up. It might just fire right up first time if that is whats going on. If that is your problem you have a fuel leak somewhere in the pressurized area (probably extremely small) and are losing pressure when the car sits long enough. When I installed my AFPR on my old Talon and used thread tape on the gauge instead of thread sealant like I was supposed to it did something like your problem until I switched to thread sealant than stopped.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back