The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Handling Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubberDuckyz

Probationary Member
May 17, 2012
Milaca, Minnesota
I couldn't find this exact issue in the search and it's a bit hard to explain. I have a 1999 Eclipse RS. All stock except an intake. Anyway the problem is that I had those ugly 14inch rims with 195/75 tires on my car and I wanted an upgrade. I just happened upon a buddy that had some 5x114's that he didn't need and I was able to trade him for a set of 5x100's that I didn't need anymore. Now the rims I received in the trade are 17's and currently have some semi-worm 245/40 tires on them. I was a bit skeptical about putting a 245 tire on the car as I've heard other places say most people put 235's or 225's on, BUT I mounted them and they fit perfect with no rubbing.

Here's the problem. After swapping my tires from a 195/75-14 to a 245/40-17 now my car handles WAY different. That doesn't surprise me except for the fact that the car now seems really unstable. It's hard to explain the way it feels. It drives perfect going in a straight line but where it's different is when I make corners or turn the wheel while driving (example- switching lanes going 60mph). The car feels almost like a bit like an old buick, boaty and really almost "tipy" ?? It's hard to explain. The car just feels a lot different and unstable while turning.

Does anyone know what could be going on, or have any experience with this happening? Maybe I'm just not used to it. Maybe struts are wore? Maybe need tighter sway bars? I really have no clue, it's just a really odd experience. Thanks in advance for any input on this matter.

When you go from a tire with a soft and large side wall to a tire that has a stiffer and smaller side wall there are going to be alot of differences in handling.

Have you had the alignment ever checked? The new tires have alot more traction than the old ones, and do not flex like the old ones. So if the alignment is off, it will feel even worse with the new rims.

Also, yes, your original suspension is most liley shot. So getting new/better struts, bushings, endlinks, etc will help. But have your alignment checked first.

Thanks for the input. I'll have the alignment check for sure. Also I know I'll need to get all 4 tires balanced as they were sitting on a car that wasn't being used so I'd like to have them check as far as balance goes.

On a side note, the car looks a hell of a lot better now. Sometimes I find myself not being able to take my eyes off of it.

Shocks could be blown, the larger sidewall would have absorbed more of the shock than the new tires with the smaller sidewall. Usually blown shocks make a vehicle feel "boaty".

Have the alignment checked, but if your going to have to pay for it you should definatley fix what needs to be fixed before doing so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back