The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

had mech flush tranny fluid and now gears dont like me

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaN-

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2004
New Baltimore, Michigan
title basically says it all i went and got some normal maintiance done to the car and while i was there i got the tranny fluid flushed, i've heard that it can help 2nd gear grinding sometimes.

so after its all done i start driving and 2nd gear does seem better but all the other gears are being subborn to get into gear, sometimes 1st wont go in unless i really have to play with it. any ideas

P.S i had them put synthedic in, if that helps at all

what synthetic gear oil are you using? I would use bg syncroshift or gm syncromesh. Also better hope they put the right type of gear oil in there.

i'm not sure what oil's they used but i will find out today

update: went outside to try and move the car out of the street it wouldnt even go into 1st gear i had to go into 2nd and back to first a few times just to get it into gear competely

i'm goin to call the guys up but i'm just wondering if anyone can explain what could be goin on

Synthetic is more slippery than cheap stuff. Get it out of there. Not enough friction for those old worn out synchros. Use Pennsoil synchromesh.

You should be fine with just straight synchomesh. I put a little bit of the lucas stuff in there to make it a little thicker. Whether it really helps or not, who knows but I think it helps out a bit.

i've also heard that since my trans is not flushed on a normal basis or it might not of ever been done that i shouldnt of done it at all. Is there any truth to this

There are two holes on a manual tranny. Fill and drain. Take off the drain hole, and let it drain then flush new tranny fluid through the fill hole.

LaN- said:
i've also heard that since my trans is not flushed on a normal basis or it might not of ever been done that i shouldnt of done it at all. Is there any truth to this

Yes this is actually true. If your car is higher mileage and the tranny oil was never changed on a regular basis or at all, putting new fluid whether it be regular gear oil or synthetic can do more harm than good.

...... great well its only got 55k on it and only reason i got it flushed was to help with my 2nd gear.

also since whoever had it before me never drove it and it basically just sat around for a few years so i thought 14 year old fluid might not be to good for the car.

how much "harm" are we talking here

LaN- said:

As said already, this statement is actually true. The particles in the old fluid produce friction and actually help rather than harm. Changing out the old fluid doesn't really harm the transmisson if it hasn't been changed regularly, but it is deterimental to shift quality, as you can attest to.

I don't know if Mitsubishi still sells it, but they have what they call friction modifier. It's an additive to the transmission fluid/gear oil that is designed to eliminate grinding. Maybe adding some of that will help. And make sure you have the proper fluid type/gear oil in your transmission. I would go with Pennzoil Sychromesh.

That is for Auto trannys when the fuild is black. Manual trans they don't have the clutches like an auto trans. Changing the fluid in Manual trnas is fine no matter how many miles are on it.

ChicksDigBoost said:
That is for Auto trannys when the fuild is black. Manual trans they don't have the clutches like an auto trans. Changing the fluid in Manual trnas is fine no matter how many miles are on it.

Fluid in Auto's turn brown when too old not black. :rolleyes:

ChicksDigBoost said:
No it goes to light brown, brown, and then black.
What if you use Royal Purple? :D

Do NOT put Lucas anything into your car. It is a seal sweller by nature (ever wonder how it magically stops leaks?).

Buy 3 qts of Syncromesh at Autozone and replace the fluid. You'll need a 17mm and 24mm socket to do so, the 17mm plug can often be a PAIN to get out. Do this with the car not jacked up, you need to also be on a level surface.

ChicksDigBoost said:
No it goes to light brown, brown, and then black.

I hope to god I never see an auto with black tranny fluid. That's almost as scary as Richard Simons writing a "How to pick up Chicks" book.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back