The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

H22 civic or Spyder GST?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlikethedrink

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2007
ABQ, New_Mexico
ive found a 93 civic coupe... it has a H22 with basic bolt ons. the car itself its alright. just needs a paint and some wheels and pretty much its set. i could get it painted for like -$500
the wheels would depend. ild like some red 16s-17s with a polished lip. i think that car would be a well balanced all around car.

i like my spyder n all. but i could ###### sell my car and have money left over after i bought and painted the civic n all.

it would have to get better MPG than my spyder. + cheaper insurance. + its 5speed. it not like im goin from AWD to FWD either...

i can list the good. but i cant think of the bad.

anybody talk some sense into me?

Have you driven the car???? I would never get a honda for pleasure but they are great daily drivers. Thats me and what i beleive. Just opinion!!!! :thumb:

A '97 Eclipse Spyder GST is a much better automobile than a '93 civic even with an H22. Which one is better for you? Which one will do what you want it to do? Unless your GST has a blown engine and you don't want to fix it I'd stay with your DSM. If you're into modifying sport compacts everything's going to be more difficult with an H22 swapped civic, and almost everything is a bolt-on affair with the DSM. Just my .02 cents :thumb:

the mpg isn't going to be a whole lot different. My GST gets great gas mileage when Im not boosting every 3 seconds. I've owned a few civics, did the swaps, paid outrageous amounts of money for auth. JDM parts, etc and I sure as hell wouldnt trade my GST to do it again.

all true.

i guess i should test drive the car n what not.
maybe consinder doin a few more bolt ons for my Spyder.
like if i were to do a full exhaust IC pipe and say a 14b turbo. maybe a FMIC .n it would be ok. . till i had to do the fuel mods, too- 190 fp and 550's, then something to control it all. plus tune it all to work together. well thats major bucks right there. given i did all that. the civic would still be faster wouldnt it. cant blame it on my driving either, my GST is an Auto.

i just want a completely done worry free car. just start up and go.
as far as it being bad just cause its a honda. well thats just dumb. there are plenty of respectable hondas out there. a NSX is a honda. does that make our cars better?:rolleyes:

you can toss that Honda reliability out the window on a swapped car too. I'd stick with the Spyder.

Hmm, I sold my Eclipse 6 months ago and bought a 91 Si(OEM original). I bought a Talon last week, so the civic is up for sale. It wasnt worth the mpgs. The honda was my second car, and i only put literally 12 miles on it since purchase(including the drive home from purchase). Thats how much I hated it.

Short story...Dont do it, you will regret it.

go from a GST Spyder to a 93 H22 Civic...eh...no, everyone has a civic, id say stay with the DSM...

do you really want to be a "honda guy"...think about it...

Im sure that after you drive the car you will be able to decide on what you want. Also is the civic a hatch or a coupe???? H22 motor is from a prelude correct?? With around 190hp stock??? Let me after you drive it. These r opions from everyone and its what you want!!!!

The H22 is 205hp stock and I believe its the h23 (non vtec) thats 190hp. The 4g63 is 210hp stock.

Im not sure why you think after doing that work the civic would still be faster. The spyder only weighs 500lbs more, but with simple mods will easily overpower that civic. And yes, the reliability odds go down when buying something like this. If it was done right it could last forever, but if not then it'll be nothing but headaches

the civic is a coupe. H22 from the prelude. it has AC and everything...

im too worried about being another honda guy. some of em are stupid yes, but theres people like that in anything. plus im not one of those brand loyal hardheads like a chevy guy or anything. i recognize something for being what it is, not for not being something its not.

my spyder only wieghs 500lbs more than a civic? hmm i figured about the engines had around same HP, i figured it be way lighter. plus its all motor power... no lag, well except vtech. i figure this car has to run atleast a low 14. if a B16'd civic is running times like that, a car with almost 30-40 hp more to the wheels has gotta be quicker(driver, track, traction pending)

realiablity was a major factor in my choice... but in a swap like that what really can go wrong? electrical?

i really like my spyder, tho i never really wanted a convertable... i just got it cause it was such a good deal. i woulda been happy with just a sunroof LOL. it is cool the times i do use it. when the top is up, the car has a horrible blind spot. thats not the reason, its just another little thing that im not happy with.

ive decided to keep my car. im goin to add a boost gauge and controller. up the psi to around14-15. later i want to add hard ic pipes and an exhaust... then, just keep it running good. outside maybe a drop and some light wieght 18s and call it a day. see how long that keeps me happy.

thanks for all your input guys...

*sigh* why would you have any lag with a T25? Having to rev that H22 to a point where it's actually making any power whatsoever will probably be longer than waiting for your T25 to spool :D

alot can go wrong, someone you DONT KNOW took then entire engine and drivetrain out and replaced with something that doesnt belong and needs custom fab'd parts that you dont know where they came from. When I did my first swap I was 17, I didnt know shit. I put a LS motor into a 89 civic hatch. I boght the right mount kit, but didnt torque things to spec. I was flying down the highway at 70 and CLUNK, one of the mount bracket came apart. Now Im not saying the guy selling this ####ed everything up, but you need to know what to look for. As far as weight, the honda guys that want to get them most bang go for the cx hatchback. Its the lightest, then strip everything out and save a few more lbs.

You wont have horrible lag if you set it up correctly. With a 14b you can easily run 14s, and with a little more effort get passed that. Aren't there a few guys on here with 14b's pushing 12s?? Like previously stated it's all up to you man, do what makes you happy, but you did ask to be talked out of it. I'm just going on my own experience and I wouldnt go back to a civic

I agree!!! When perchased my 3rd DSM about 3 years ago it was a 1992 laser 5sp/awd that was the first awd i owned and i could not believe how much fun it was. The other 2 before the laser where fwd 5sp. When got the car in the low 13's i said to mayself this is my dream car, not even a super car could take its place.:beatentodeath:HONDASLOL

I've had a buddy of mine with a 98 prelude (h22) he swapped the tranny over to an F22 tranny and put on an XS Power turbo kit got it tuned, and ran a 13.2 spinning all the way down the track. after watching all this with my turbo civic i relialized he was miserable with that car. He broke just about everything on that motor, alot of shit was ghetto fabbed at the time, and he wasted credit card after credit card for a what ended up to be a high 12 sec turbo prelude with no enjoyment (backseat, a/c, power steering) he hated it, no one would race him ### it was somewhat powerful, it spun through every damn gear. he ended up selling it and buying a Z28 after i sold my turbo si, i bought my 97 GS-T spyder, and i can tell you this as i have everyone else. I will never ever go back to any other import brand ever again. I love my car even though it does gimme shit ### it does need a new map sensor and the tranny has to be rebuilt i still love the practicality of this car. it's red, it's a convertible, has power steering, a/c, turns heads and makes honda owners mad ### i pay 1/4 of the insurance they pay for the 160HP Civic Si (99-00 model).

I <3 DSM

I just traded my Honda Prelude for my buddy's talon, it was a nice car, just not fast at all.

i can list the good. but i cant think of the bad.

anybody talk some sense into me?

THE BAD !!! besides your asking a pro Honda question on a DSM board is, wait until you drive a civic sprung for a SOHC motor then add the 90 odd lbs of an H22, plus the fact that at stock ride height speed bumps are a pain( the pan is that Low) fuel mileage on an H22 is bad because they gear the cars so retarded to make up for lack of torque. We work on all cars mostly mitsu but we do honda hell ford whatever all the long timers hear drive Mitsu and all of us have Multiple ones at that. Consider your choices carefully.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back