The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

GT42 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years.. What ever happened?

Oh geez! Alrighty. So I'll try and summarize as best I can. I ended up going with a pte 6766. So after I broke the engine in got on the dyno I had fuel pressure issues and we couldn't tune. I found a popped hose on one of the pumps in the tank. Go back on the dyno. The oil pump locked up. I made the mistake of having map build my short block. I was very specific with what I wanted this engine to do and they just ran a stub shaft in it. They didn't even bring up or recommend running a race shaft. So luckily it was almost back to idle when the pump locked up and there was somehow no valve train damage.
After a lot of back and forth with map I finally got some help on new parts and fixed the block myself.
So back to the dyno again. With new lines in tank. Still have fuel pressure issues. Go through everything on the car. I find that the pumps that the previous owner was running in the car were getting really choked out at high fuel pressure. My tuner recommended trying to switch to walbro 255s with the relief valve mod. Did that they flowed a ton more.
Went back to the dyno. Somehow one of my rear axles broke and we couldn't tune. Get that fixed. Back on the dyno still had fuel pressure issues.
So at this point after going through everything that could potentially be causing issues the only thing that made sense is there was a restriction in the feed line somewhere. The previous owner had used steel line instead of an line and we think that was kinked. I was ready to completely rebuild the fuel system with one big pump, an line, bigger injectors, and switch to e98. But with what it would cost to do that couple with the many, many other issues that had happened or was happening with the car I had pretty much had it. To add fuel to the fire the more I found out about the vehicles history the less I wanted to keep putting money into it. The car was built with used parts and with things like the fuel setup that therotically should work. For instance the Shep stage 4 was assembled by a local person here not Shep (I know the guy who built it. He definitely knows what he's doing and I trust his work.). Which it was out of the guys gslant vr4 which makes a ton of power and is raced. So who knows how long that would last. And who knows how many other issues would arise. I threw in the towel and tried to sell the car. I had no real interest in the car as a whole so it has since been parted out. All I have left is the radiator setup and the carbon fiber hood LOL

4 year bump-

I have been running a GT42 on a street car for 2 seasons now. For me, its great. 9k+ rpm is needed to make this thing work really well on the street. I do not have any issues transient response when shifting above 9k using NLTS. Oddly like TPG-I made 875 AWHP at 42 psi. Stock ignition, Fp2 cams. Best pass 9.7@160- rolling out 1.7 60 ft. (all stock drivetrain)

If you want an idea of transient response on the street go to 7min here-I am lifting for all shifts
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back