The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GT42 in a 92 TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsikohl

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2012
watertown, New_York
so heres the thing, I have 4k and a 92 tsi. I can buy a motor for 1500 with the following:
eagle/weisco 9:1 comp
BC 280 cams
BS Springs and Retainers
OBX Cam Gears
Fresh Head work
ARPS
all new gaskets, timing belt, ect.

If im wanting to run a Gt42 type turbo with high boost could that motor hold it? also how would I go about installing a turbo of this size in a 92 , any recommendations on fuel setup as well?

so heres the thing, I have 4k and a 92 tsi. I can buy a motor for 1500 with the following:
eagle/weisco 9:1 comp
BC 280 cams
BS Springs and Retainers
OBX Cam Gears
Fresh Head work
ARPS
all new gaskets, timing belt, ect.

If im wanting to run a Gt42 type turbo with high boost could that motor hold it? also how would I go about installing a turbo of this size in a 92 , any recommendations on fuel setup as well?

If you need to ask these questions then this turbo is way to much for you. You are talking 90lbs/min and full spool over 5000rpm.

Follow up that response - If you don't know why 90lbs/min is relevant, and you are worried about that spool.. this is not the turbo for you.

I'm inclined to agree that if you have to ask "How do I fit a GT42 in the bay" or "Will this motor hold it" ... You should not be trying to modify the car just yet. Seriously, get aquainted with maintainence and the stock turbo and supporting mods to play with boost on a 14B or a 16G first.

High Boost and any sort of significant cam/high rpm combo, which is required by this turbo and you need to be looking at a Kiggly or GSC beehives.

You should ditch the BC stuff ASAP.

I noticed that none of you answered my question..... so anyone care to explain?

I noticed you didn't search, care to try that first?

You aren't going to build a car that will use the potential a GT42 has with $4k.

Why not start with what your goals are for the car, then go from there.

If you have to ask, let alone have it spoon fed to you.. you are going to fail.

$4k aint gonna cut it either. $2500 after the motor and you will have an expensive paperweight till you have more money to finish buying, fabbing, tuning and installing everything else you would need to support it.

This is neglecting all the research that needs to be done on your end before starting such a project.

Good Luck

okay, so does anyone have a link to a forum that explains this? I did search earlier today and I found a couple of forums that are helpful but nothing that will completely help me.... I didn't post this to have people insult me or tell me what im ready or not ready for I don't care about your opinion im trying to find out this information and as I recall I didn't say I was going to throw all this on in one week its a project over time.... So is anyone gonna help me or continue to give yourself bad repuations by being rude to people trying to get help off a site that was made for people needing help.

okay, so does anyone have a link to a forum that explains this? I did search earlier today and I found a couple of forums that are helpful but nothing that will completely help me.... I didn't post this to have people insult me or tell me what im ready or not ready for I don't care about your opinion im trying to find out this information and as I recall I didn't say I was going to throw all this on in one week its a project over time.... So is anyone gonna help me or continue to give yourself bad repuations by being rude to people trying to get help off a site that was made for people needing help.

Well by the time your ready to put the turbo on during this "project over time" you will have learned how, and we wont spoon feed you either.

Exactly what everyone else is telling you. Plus, are you going to be able to handle the horsepower or things breaking all the time?

Please look for more of a reliable and better goal such as 400hp.
You will thank yourself later.

How to run 10's when you haven't run 12's seems to suit this thread well.

Simply put, you don't.

No one here wants to spend their time spoon feeding you information. Sorry. This forum is filled to the brim with more information than you will probably ever need.

Why are you choosing a GT42 anyways?

What kind of experience do you have with big turbo cars?

You will probably grenade the stock center diff at anything over 350whp, so start saving up for a built trans and a good quality clutch that will hold power.

How to run 10's when you haven't run 12's seems to suit this thread well.

Simply put, you don't.

No one here wants to spend their time spoon feeding you information. Sorry. This forum is filled to the brim with more information than you will probably ever need.

Why are you choosing a GT42 anyways?

What kind of experience do you have with big turbo cars?

You will probably grenade the stock center diff at anything over 400whp, so start saving up for a built trans, and a good quality clutch that will hold power.

I think its more of a How to run 9's when you haven't run 13's yet deal. LOL

If you actually listen to what we are telling you it would make more sense. You came here looking for help from experienced DSMers, and you are just ignoring the information given. If you think you can do this then tell us your back ground, experience, and goal and if it seems you have the knowhow and funding then people on here will be more than willing to help. But asking how to put a GT42 on an engine with BC springs and cams is not a good start. If you are new to tuning scene then start out slow and set a lower goal so that you can learn and develop the car, and after a few years you will have the knowledge to build a GT42 Monster

I was mostly looking for forums links since I am having no luck with finding any....

okay then I appreciate the concern for my knowledge and my funding is absolutely no ones business? im asking for any links that can point me in the right directions of setting up a motor to push a turbo of that size im sick of arguing with everyone about what I do and don't know if you don't have any links on a thread that could help me with this setup then don't comment on here...

ok guys, i guess they only way for him to learn is the hard way. you'll need different springs and retainers, those will float by 9-9200. if u plan on running higgh boost, dont waste your money on arps, get h11s from maperformance or l19s. arps are only good to 30-35 lbs from what ive read, it depends on what fuel youll be running, e85, e98, race gas ect.. the off the shelf wisecos(hd) are could to 700 or so. my buddy put down 707 hp with them. next is are you wanting a street car or drag car? or a street/drag car. my car is street/ drag car. im over 650 and ran a 6.6@109 in 1/8 full interior too. it just depends on what you want to do, but take these guys advise man.

As someone who has a GT4202 sized turbo in the car right now, which took more money than I care to admit.. do not listen to the poster above me. (hollywoodknight)

He is only avoiding complete failure by being as vague as possible and dealing in generalities.

A mark IV Supra pump will not support 850-900+ awhp on race gas, let alone E85/98 either of which you will need.

You will need 2150cc injectors, especially on E85/98, and likely a secondary set on a separate fuel rail welded to your intake manifold.

DSMLink uses the stock ECU

2.5" charge piping is going to be a waste of money and restriction at this stage... you need volume on your side.

BC280s with BC springs are pants on head retarded for a GT42

You will indeed need tool steel head studs, O-ringing would be a wise investment as well.

Teeth will be taken off gears, t-cases will break, axles will snap. You need a clutch set that can deal with the torque or you'll be going nowhere in a cloud of sickly sweet smoke

The list goes on. This is an undertaking that requires years of experience to start with.

I started designing my build in 2008, and I am just now finishing. I have had multiple vehicles between now and then, including several DSMs and a TurboDiesel Ram.

All of which were modified, multiple setups tried on each for the most part.

Probably have had over two dozen turbo configuration across the lot of them.

That distinct lack of knowledge and experience is why the guy above me doesn't have any specifics what so ever, and most of the folks who do will be reluctant to give the OP any.

I've already shared more than I intended to because my BS-o-meter damn near broke when I read what hollywoodknight put up here.

If you do not have the skill and understanding to max out a small frame turbo like a 14B or T25, forget a midframe (HX35/40 - S200sx - GT35R) you have no business using running a turbo that'll move nearly 1000whp worth of air.

It's bad enough that most folks will tell you the GT42 is the turbo that will make you hate your car.. but to not even know enough to understand what they are getting at is asinine.

I think the above was better than simply posting this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And calling it a day. I suppose thats up to the Mods though, we shall see haha

I absolutely must help with this situation. guys, please everyone bear with me.
ok this is a simple short list of parts needed to perform the task you are requesting info on.
first i highly recommend going on ebay and purchasing an intercooler pipe kit that contains 2.5 inch tubing. it is a cost effective and necessary part.
next you will need to upgrade your fuel system. this mean the largest dsm injectors you can get your hands on, also a much larger fuel pump, possibly a toyota supra mark 4 pump or larger. there are many options available. you are also going to need better tuning software to compensate for the larger turbo upgrade. the factory ecu is inadequate. i recommend DSM link. it is the most cost effective route to take. also you need to think about how you want your exhaust. if you know how to weld this is going to save you allot. also there are many more options for aftermarket exhaust but it gets expensive. it is a personal choice. your entire exhaust will have to be redone. we can talk more on that later. find a local electrician that does wiring for automobiles and keep his number on file. you will need him later down the road.
ok agin everyone bear with me: watch what i am doing here.
next big part that is going to save you allot in the short run. for the time being, do not be concerned with upgrading drivetrain components. i noticed someone recommended head studs of sorts. most of the ones listed are very expensive. i would hold off on that until later. if you already have all the cam upgrades that is one step closer. fitting a gt42 in there is going to be a very tight squeeze.
if you look at your engine bay and hold the turbo up in front of the engine you get an idea of where you want to place it. this helps figure how your exhaust might look and how you want to route the piping. also if you do not have one already, an intercooler core will be needed.
ok obviously i could talk forever on fabrication for now i`ll leave you to do some more research. ask any questions and i will answer them.
again everyone bear with me and please pay attention to what i am saying.

WTFWTF

No wonder defiant never came back

ok this is a simple short list of parts needed to perform the task you are requesting info on.
first i highly recommend going on ebay and purchasing an intercooler pipe kit that contains 2.5 inch tubing. it is a cost effective and necessary part.
next you will need to upgrade your fuel system. this mean the largest dsm injectors you can get your hands on, also a much larger fuel pump, possibly a toyota supra mark 4 pump or larger. there are many options available. you are also going to need better tuning software to compensate for the larger turbo upgrade. the factory ecu is inadequate. i recommend DSM link. it is the most cost effective route to take. also you need to think about how you want your exhaust. if you know how to weld this is going to save you allot. also there are many more options for aftermarket exhaust but it gets expensive. it is a personal choice. your entire exhaust will have to be redone. we can talk more on that later. find a local electrician that does wiring for automobiles and keep his number on file. you will need him later down the road.
next big part that is going to save you allot in the short run. for the time being, do not be concerned with upgrading drivetrain components. i noticed someone recommended head studs of sorts. most of the ones listed are very expensive. i would hold off on that until later. if you already have all the cam upgrades that is one step closer. fitting a gt42 in there is going to be a very tight squeeze.
if you look at your engine bay and hold the turbo up in front of the engine you get an idea of where you want to place it. this helps figure how your exhaust might look and how you want to route the piping. also if you do not have one already, an intercooler core will be needed.
ok obviously i could talk forever on fabrication for now i`ll leave you to do some more research. ask any questions and i will answer them.
Lol WTF!

EDIT: Posted a response assuming OP was the one throwing all those false facts around.

As long as you don't listen to this guy you'll be in the clear.
Hold the turbo up to see how its going to fit... Really dude?!

okay, so does anyone have a link to a forum that explains this? I did search earlier today and I found a couple of forums that are helpful but nothing that will completely help me....

You've gotten plenty of help and questions that you refuse to listen to and answer.

I didn't post this to have people insult me or tell me what im ready or not ready for I don't care about your opinion im trying to find out this information and as I recall I didn't say I was going to throw all this on in one week its a project over time.... So is anyone gonna help me or continue to give yourself bad repuations by being rude to people trying to get help off a site that was made for people needing help.

You are insulting some very intelligent and experienced dsm'ers with your responses. Step back and take a look at your own posts and decide if you really want help, because if not, keep posting like you are and get yourself banned.

I was mostly looking for forums links since I am having no luck with finding any....

okay then I appreciate the concern for my knowledge and my funding is absolutely no ones business? im asking for any links that can point me in the right directions of setting up a motor to push a turbo of that size im sick of arguing with everyone about what I do and don't know if you don't have any links on a thread that could help me with this setup then don't comment on here...

It's not an argument, because its pretty obvious to most what you dont know.

There is no one thread, or even a couple of quick threads, or DIY for what you are proposing to do.

See below for a start.

As someone who has a GT4202 sized turbo in the car right now, which took more money than I care to admit.. do not listen to the poster above me. (hollywoodknight)

He is only avoiding complete failure by being as vague as possible and dealing in generalities.

A mark IV Supra pump will not support 850-900+ awhp on race gas, let alone E85/98 either of which you will need.

You will need 2150cc injectors, especially on E85/98, and likely a secondary set on a separate fuel rail welded to your intake manifold.

DSMLink uses the stock ECU

2.5" charge piping is going to be a waste of money and restriction at this stage... you need volume on your side.

BC280s with BC springs are pants on head retarded for a GT42

You will indeed need tool steel head studs, O-ringing would be a wise investment as well.

Teeth will be taken off gears, t-cases will break, axles will snap. You need a clutch set that can deal with the torque or you'll be going nowhere in a cloud of sickly sweet smoke

The list goes on. This is an undertaking that requires years of experience to start with.

I started designing my build in 2008, and I am just now finishing. I have had multiple vehicles between now and then, including several DSMs and a TurboDiesel Ram.

All of which were modified, multiple setups tried on each for the most part.

Probably have had over two dozen turbo configuration across the lot of them.

That distinct lack of knowledge and experience is why the guy above me doesn't have any specifics what so ever, and most of the folks who do will be reluctant to give the OP any.

I've already shared more than I intended to because my BS-o-meter damn near broke when I read what hollywoodknight put up here.

If you do not have the skill and understanding to max out a small frame turbo like a 14B or T25, forget a midframe (HX35/40 - S200sx - GT35R) you have no business using running a turbo that'll move nearly 1000whp worth of air.

It's bad enough that most folks will tell you the GT42 is the turbo that will make you hate your car.. but to not even know enough to understand what they are getting at is asinine.

okay then I appreciate the concern for my knowledge and my funding is absolutely no ones business?

Your budget is very important information people need to best answer your question. If that offends you, im sorry, but thats just stupid.

im asking for any links that can point me in the right directions of setting up a motor to push a turbo of that size im sick of arguing with everyone about what I do and don't know if you don't have any links on a thread that could help me with this setup then don't comment on here...

Its been answered, your motor wont handle it, your head build isnt up to par, your fuel system is inadequate, you havent even mentioned tuning which is scary, and your drivetrain will explode before you even get her spooled up.

The honest truth is, people able to run a turbo that massive have the experience and skills to do so and wouldnt need to ask such basic questions.

Now please stop insulting everyone and work with the knowledge you've been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back