The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Gt35R with 0.82 A/R

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VtecRex

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Davidsonville, Maryland
My car is going to be a track car, driven on the street, but not my dd. So, I have pretty much all but decided to go with the 35R but, I was wondering with turbine A/R I should get. I did alot of research, but couldn't find much about what A/R's people were running. So, I wanted to know what a .82 a/r would spool at on a 2.3 or 2.0. I am pretty sure I am going with a 2.3.

also, does piston cr affect spool, this is about the last thing that I havent researched yet, and I have no idea what cr pistions I am getting.

And I have hks 264/272 combo cams, will the 264 be to small for a 35R setup? My goal is single digits.

ps: I know my mods arent going to support a 35R, I am still in the planning stage.

If you realistickly want single digits, a 35r is too small unless you are willing to spary it. You could obvliosly get mote out of bigger cams, but I'm sure you could out flow the turbo on the with the big turbine housing. Spool up will be right around 5k on a 2.0 and closer to 4k ont he stroker.

VtecRex said:
also, does piston cr affect spool, this is about the last thing that I havent researched yet, and I have no idea what cr pistions I am getting.

And I have hks 264/272 combo cams, will the 264 be to small for a 35R setup? My goal is single digits.

Piston compression does effect spool. The higher the compression, the faster you'll spool...And the less boost you'll be able to run on pump without knock.

If you're going to run a 35R or maybe something larger, get some larger cams. 264s are a waste of time especially if you don't spool till 5K rpm. Since your goals are very low 1/4 times, go with some BIG cams.

If you go stroker, check out FP3x cams
If you stick with 2.0l check out FP3 or FP2x cams. Or you could just get one more 272 cam...

nanokpsi said:
If you realistickly want single digits, a 35r is too small unless you are willing to spary it. You could obvliosly get mote out of bigger cams, but I'm sure you could out flow the turbo on the with the big turbine housing. Spool up will be right around 5k on a 2.0 and closer to 4k ont he stroker.
There are 2 or 3 dsm's in the single digits that are running GT35 turbo's without nitrous. Check out dsmtimes.org

why not a GT30R with an .82 that will support 500 whp

Dark_Horse said:
Piston compression does effect spool. The higher the compression, the faster you'll spool...And the less boost you'll be able to run on pump without knock.

If you're going to run a 35R or maybe something larger, get some larger cams. 264s are a waste of time especially if you don't spool till 5K rpm. Since your goals are very low 1/4 times, go with some BIG cams.

If you stick with 2.0l check out FP3 or FP2x cams. Or you could just get one more 272 cam...

Compression has almost no effect on turbo lag, it does have an effect on off boost torque, which some people mistake for a quicker spooling turbo.

Dark_Horse said:

QUOTE]

I will definatly be on race gas, 24/7 I dont care about the $11 a gallon price tag. I have a nice job.

If you stick with 2.0l check out FP3 or FP2x cams. Or you could just get one more 272 cam...[/

Since I already have the cams... I will just get another 272, I havent opened them yet, so maybe sbr would exchange it for me.

Also, I would like a second opinion on the spool, Does anyone have this turbo? 4000 just seems unrealistic. to good to be true.

Realistically...I would say closer to 5k with the .82a/r on the 2.0. AMS's GT35R kit with the .63 a/r gets 20 psi boost at 4k in third or fourth gear on a 2.0 and supports 650whp

The 2.3 and the .82 housing would be a perfect match for a track car. Spool would be around the 4500 to 4600 range. Check out the video of Evil Eagels dyno hes running the 35R on a 2.0 im not exactly sure of the a/r of it but it was hitting full boost at 4800 on a 2.0L.

By the way the Fp3's are massive.... My buddy was running a 60-1 on a 2.4 with the Fp3's and they were over kill for his set up. I'm running a 35R .63 a/r with 272's and AEM should be good for I'm hoping 600whp on race gas. Good luck!

PSI NRG said:
Realistically...I would say closer to 5k with the .82a/r on the 2.0. AMS's GT35R kit with the .63 a/r gets 20 psi boost at 4k in third or fourth gear on a 2.0 and supports 650whp

The 2.3 and the .82 housing would be a perfect match for a track car. Spool would be around the 4500 to 4600 range. Check out the video of Evil Eagels dyno hes running the 35R on a 2.0 im not exactly sure of the a/r of it but it was hitting full boost at 4800 on a 2.0L.

By the way the Fp3's are massive.... My buddy was running a 60-1 on a 2.4 with the Fp3's and they were over kill for his set up. I'm running a 35R .63 a/r with 272's and AEM should be good for I'm hoping 600whp on race gas. Good luck!
Evil Eagle aka. Jake Montgomery is running an FP3575;)

GVR4592 said:
Compression has almost no effect on turbo lag, it does have an effect on off boost torque, which some people mistake for a quicker spooling turbo.
A higher compression forces exhaust gases out at a higher pressure, so the exhaust gases have a higher velocity as they leave the cylinders. How does this not increase spool?

If your gonna spray at the track i might look into the 1.06 a/r ex. side. Since nitrous is gonna make the turbo spool up quicker and net your more horsepower. Obviously the .82 a/r isnt gonna hold you back any. I just figured i would throw that out there for you to think about.

Also, i am about to stick a 35r with a .82a/r with no real thoughts of nitrous as of yet. But im sure a 50-75 shot is in the near future.

You are shooting for sub 10's. I would look to a bigger turbo. The 35R can get you thier but high 9's are about all you might see. It just doesn't flow enough. Both the GT40R and T-66 can get you into 700 HP range flowing around 72lbs/min. That is reaching max flow on both those turbos. The 35R can only flow about 62lbs/min. And the T-70 flowing 84lbs/min. IMO the T-66 or 40R would treat you right. As for what A/R you should run all depends on what turbine wheel you run with. The larger the wheel the smaller the A/R you might want to run.

So to answer your question I don't think the 35R is going to be what you are looking for. It will get you into 9's but that is going to be with very good driving on top of a spot on tune. Also your elevation is gong to play a factor as well. If you are above 4000 ft. you are going to need to go larger to hit 9's or run some nitrous. As far as the .82 A/R TH. I wouldn't go to much larger than that for the 35R on the 2.0.

27psi @4400 RPMs 2.0l. Just getting into lower 10s is hard with a full-weight no nitrous car and I'm talkin about having a 9k redline too. Single digits is definitly do-able but it will cost you and trust me, it ain't easy. EVO II ran consistent high nines with a 35R but that's an EVO II.

Maglin said:
You are shooting for sub 10's. I would look to a bigger turbo. The 35R can get you thier but high 9's are about all you might see. It just doesn't flow enough. Both the GT40R and T-66 can get you into 700 HP range flowing around 72lbs/min. That is reaching max flow on both those turbos. The 35R can only flow about 62lbs/min. And the T-70 flowing 84lbs/min. IMO the T-66 or 40R would treat you right. As for what A/R you should run all depends on what turbine wheel you run with. The larger the wheel the smaller the A/R you might want to run.

So to answer your question I don't think the 35R is going to be what you are looking for. It will get you into 9's but that is going to be with very good driving on top of a spot on tune. Also your elevation is gong to play a factor as well. If you are above 4000 ft. you are going to need to go larger to hit 9's or run some nitrous. As far as the .82 A/R TH. I wouldn't go to much larger than that for the 35R on the 2.0.

just to give everyone what is possible saying the driver is good.. So this could be considered the baseline. Curt brown in his 90 AWD talon never made more than 600hp but ran a 9.4 @145mph. This was on a built 2.0, lightweight car, stock ecu with a VPC and an AFC. A gt -14 sized turbo (or fp3065) which is smaller than a GT35r. Same comp wheel, smaller turbine wheel. Now, how is a gt35r not capable of mid nines? unless you are admitting you cant drive good and just want to blame the turbo?

Mark
SBR

1990greenGSX said:
just to give everyone what is possible saying the driver is good.. So this could be considered the baseline. Curt brown in his 90 AWD talon never made more than 600hp but ran a 9.4 @145mph. This was on a built 2.0, lightweight car, stock ecu with a VPC and an AFC. A gt -14 sized turbo (or fp3065) which is smaller than a GT35r. Same comp wheel, smaller turbine wheel. Now, how is a gt35r not capable of mid nines? unless you are admitting you cant drive good and just want to blame the turbo?

Mark
SBR

I believe weight was stipulated above, Mark. Most DSMs weigh 1000 more lbs than Curts race car, hence why 600-630whp isn't enough. For a 3000+lb car, its going to take more than the 62 lb/min wheel can dish out.

I'm sure someone could strap a 50 trim on a drag busa and cut some rediculous time. Doesn't that prove the 50 trim to be a good 7-8 second turbo? Moron......

nanokpsi said:
I believe weight was stipulated above, Mark. Most DSMs weigh 1000 more lbs than Curts race car, hence why 600-630whp isn't enough. For a 3000+lb car, its going to take more than the 62 lb/min wheel can dish out.

I'm sure someone could strap a 50 trim on a drag busa and cut some rediculous time. Doesn't that prove the 50 trim to be a good 7-8 second turbo? Moron......

This is so typical of Internet tough guys resorting to name calling. Now how did we get to 600- 630whp, when i said curt never made more than 600 meaning he was in the mid to 575whp range. Now a 35r has made 635 on our 1g. we never ran it with that set up to give a time. But so many dsmers resort to bigger turbo simply b/c they cannot drive. Screw weight, his car was under 400 lbs lighter than most cars out there running at the track.. but making 150hp less than what you say it takes to run 9s. look at the 60ft times. If you could cut a 1.3 60ft instead of a 1.7 or 1.8 what does that do to your ET times smart ass? My point is that was on a smaller turbo than the thread creator was asking for. Without all the excuse of why your car isnt fast, a 35r can support 9s without Nitrous, and definatley with it.

Mark
SBR

My car is pretty light, nitrous is not a option, and I CAN drive. I pulled a 1.59 60ft on a 16G with all season tires.

More about these 72lb/min turbos... I was looking a the fullrace t67, which they say is 75lb/min... but i dont think it is ball bearing. Does anyone know where a larger ball bearing turbo would be?

1990greenGSX said:
This is so typical of Internet tough guys resorting to name calling. Now how did we get to 600- 630whp, when i said curt never made more than 600 meaning he was in the mid to 575whp range. Now a 35r has made 635 on our 1g. we never ran it with that set up to give a time. But so many dsmers resort to bigger turbo simply b/c they cannot drive. Screw weight, his car was under 400 lbs lighter than most cars out there running at the track.. but making 150hp less than what you say it takes to run 9s. look at the 60ft times. If you could cut a 1.3 60ft instead of a 1.7 or 1.8 what does that do to your ET times smart ass? My point is that was on a smaller turbo than the thread creator was asking for. Without all the excuse of why your car isnt fast, a 35r can support 9s without Nitrous, and definatley with it.

Mark
SBR

I see the moron comment got to you :)

My point is Curt is the exception rather than the norm, just as running ino the 9s w/o nitrous in a real weight 35r powered car. I've always heard Curt's car was around 2400-2500lbs. The 1000lb remark was meant to be a little sarcastic. I'be be willing to be the average race weight in more than 400lbs more than that ;) If someone comes asking you for a legitimate 9 second no nitrous turbo (or any shop worth a shit) he won't be sold a gt35r, especially since he is not concerned with lag.

Also, please keep you snow covered dyna-crap numbers out of the equation.

The the thread starter, you can get a t67 in BB configuration if you opt for the P trim turbine. They typically run 11-1200 bucks. David Buschur also ran into the 7s on a t67, so I guess it is a 7 second turbo. Right Mark???

I do agree with DSMers throwing a big turbo on thinking that is the key to crazy times, but a lot more goes into it than that.

4800 rpm spool was on the fp3575. now remember, the dyno doesn't put the full load of the road-going car. you will more-than-likely see a loss of 500rpm of spool going to the street/track, opposed to the dyno. for reference, AMS's shop car with the 42r was getting full boost by 5500 rpm on the dyno. on the street, it went to 5000rpm. it was posted on NABR, if anyone is wondering.

Shawn

4800 rpm spool was on the fp3575. now remember, the dyno doesn't put the full load of the road-going car. you will more-than-likely see a loss of 500rpm of spool going to the street/track, opposed to the dyno. for reference, AMS's shop car with the 42r was getting full boost by 5500 rpm on the dyno. on the street, it went to 5000rpm. it was posted on NABR, if anyone is wondering.

So since there is a larger load on the engine, the turbo will spool faster on the street? Correct? You contridicted yourself. Or just worded it confusing.

And I am a little concerned with spool, I might venture to a road racing track here and there.

nope. you lose 500rpm spool. you are just reading it wrong. you don't "gain" spool by going from 5500 to 5000, you "lose" it. grndsm, i know has autox'ed, or road raced his car with good success on a larger turbo.

Shawn

bluegs-t said:
nope. you lose 500rpm spool. you are just reading it wrong. you don't "gain" spool by going from 5500 to 5000, you "lose" it. grndsm, i know has autox'ed, or road raced his car with good success on a larger turbo.

Shawn

ok, yea, I was just reading it wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back