The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G GSX to Sebring LX Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laiden

Probationary Member
Mar 2, 2019
Berea, Kentucky
Long time reader, finally joining as pieces are coming into play.

I'm sure many are going to give me a hard time over doing what I want to do, swapping a GSX into a Sebring LX. But I do have a reason behind it.

The Sebring is my wife's first car and wanting to have a car project that didn't involve needing it fixed yesterday, I wanted to be nice to the wife and restore her Sebring. She is very sentimental about it but it has been sitting for awhile now. Naturally my first instinct is to look up how to upgrade the car a bit. That is when the can of worms flew open and it is just all over the floor now.

If I'm doing to do it, I may as well go big I suppose. The first thing I wanted, besides the turbo of course, was converting her car into an AWD. This is the part that I feel will be most problematic, if not really impossible. The front end swap shouldn't be too big of a deal, I'm fine with wiring as well. I already know I'll have to deal with the length of the driveshaft but that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Does anyone have any helpful tips, hints, suggestions about dropping the rear subframe of a GSX and putting it into a Sebring(or even Avenger)? What will be the most difficult part of it?

Thanks for any advice, advice other than "don't do it" that is I suppose. Again, this is a passion project for my wife. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that enjoys cars, especially fast cars. This is my golden ticket to be able to spend money on a car project and actually have the wife approve, so please, bare with me.

Thanks

I know u have to shorten the driveshaft. I wonder if an AWD rear swap is semi straight forward like AWD swapping a spyder. So my suggestion is to research a few AWD swapped spiders first before attempting.

My wife had an avenger. I was gonna 4g and AWD swap that. Then the car kinda started falling apart, and I didnt get to attempt the 4g AWD swap.
I did tho have a 2g AWD thermal catback I put on for the sh××s and giggles. That was straight forward.

So good luck, and I hope you put your build up so we all can watch the process in ahhh. :thumb: :mrt:

Its going to be easier and way cheaper to get a new wife.:hellyeah::idontknow:

A wife that actually wants me to spend money and garage time on any sort of build is one that I doubt many would want to pass on.

I'm not afraid of the hard work. I want this to be my build, not slapping a few parts on a car and calling it mine. I was already fully set on off frame restoring her car. Besides the rear end, I doubt swapping would be much harder.

I've got the FP Red turbo on the way. I'm trying to decide on what size camshaft, 272 likely, 9.0:1 compression ratio. Will pull the trigger on that as soon as I make up my mind. Any input from anyone would be awesome in that regard.

I'm excited about the difficulty involved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back