The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GSX runs hot with bumper on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizontalkev

Supporting VIP
Jun 28, 2010
great bend, Kansas
I've had issues h my car running hot all the time anywhere from 212f to 224f, hotter on the highway especially during the day. And I can't even use the a/c then the temps will shoot up. I solved the issue by removing my front bumper, and the car stayed near 185c to 190c maybe a tad higher on the highway and ran much better. I could even use my a/c during the day on the highway which was unheard of before.. I decided to cut my bumper some to allow more airflow, two slots on the top near the Mitsubishi logo, and cut the main opening to be taller. Once reinstalled, the car runs anywhere between how it was before and after removing the bumper. Better, but still running hotter than id like. Now what? Could my downpipe be the problem? Its not wrapped or anything. Thanks

This is what the bumper looks like now
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I only have one fan installed and whether its on or not, it should not run hot on the highway. I have a fmic and im sure that's the source of my problems. Underhood temps might be ridiculous too. Ill wrap the downpipe tomorrow and report back

Thats wired... Haven't heard/read this before but I've always got nervous about the problem too. My running a pretty big intercooler (on the market for a 16g) with the stock t25 and sometime wonder if its restricting the cool airflow to my radiator... my fmic does line up perfect with the fins of the rad so that might be a possibility? just an idea, hope you get it figured out soon

my motor does get pretty hot and pretty fast but I've replace the thermostat with an oem one and its staying perfectly where its suppose to. (not that it gave me any problems before)So I guess its comes to the setup you have and what you have to restrict the heat you have under the hood

Make sure there is ducting between FMIC, condenser and radiator. Otherwise air won't go through the cores. I once used really thick plumbing insulation to get me by for a month. Also might look into inspecting/flushing/replace an old radiator too...

Grab another thin oem AC fan and do the wire mod where both kick i. At the same time. They pull alot of air and are thin enough to fit with most radiators. Running them all the time is not always great but in your situation you can get away with it. To turn them on when you want to turn the interior fan on and oush the AC button and that turns them on together.

This is how i run mine at the moment

if you really want to spend a few dollars get a nice curved spal they are 100 on Amazon if it will fit. A Mishimoto Thermostat(50) at STM i think which will open around 143 instead of our factory 180 degree thermostat, and pour a cup or two of Royal Purple ice in the coolant and bring that temperature way down. Do you have a turbo sock or an exhaust manifold heat shield? Downpipe wrapping is a good place to start but there is a ton of heat in our engine bays. Bumper looks good though different look and more turbo airflow

Fans have nothing to do with cooling at speeds over 35ish. Highway forced airflow moves much more air than fans do. If fans are running on the highway, they actually restrict airflow.

By the way I see it in your uploaded picture, seems like you have a bar and plate intercooler, they tend to block air flow that is supposed to get to your radiator. An alternative is to use tube and fin, better airflow, or install better fans. My $ 0.02

I'm in agreeance with above. It looks to me that your bumper is funneling the air right into the FMIC which is great for performance, but if your FMIC is blocking too much air from passing through you're going to have overheating issues. Your best bet looks like some high CFM fans.

Ye. Just don't go with cheap fans because your OEM fans emit way more air then those cheapo fans.. Buy some reputable ones if you want even more air.. Another thing I did to my DSM is connected the two fans together (that is if you kept your A/C fan). So every time my main fan turns it, my A/C fan turns on as well. I also have some problem with over heating, but that's only when I'm constantly at WOT!! I think that would be normal I hope ))

OP (and others) see the following two threads:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/cooling-fan-question.428476/

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/front-bumper-cut-outs-cooling.427844/

The front bumper cutouts I did were larger than yours I think and made a huge difference. Airflow over the radiator is the single biggest thing needed to manage heat. The closed bumper and/or FMIC is a giant restriction to getting air in. Your then also need strong fans to help. As far as fans, SPAL brand is absolutely the way to go. I tried other brands and NOTHING came close to the SPALs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back