The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G GSX O2 sensor connector

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi guys,

I just want to confirm if this connector is for the upstream O2 sensor? The car came with an o2 sensor installed but the wiring hacked off right at the sensor. I found this 4 pin connector coming off the harness near the alt/PS behind the driver's side headlight. It doesn't quite fit with the denso o2 sensor I bought though. It slides partially in but some of the tabs don't match up.

I just need to know if this is the correct connector (and I just have the wrong O2 sensor) or if the connector is someplace else?

For reference, the sensor is Denso 234-4026

Thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats the fan connector. The o2 sensor connector looks almost the same, but is black instead of gray. It is keyed slightly differently so that they are not compatible. And it should be closer to the passenger side of the head, somewhere around the coolant neck/lines.

Cool thank you so much! I'll have a look. So much of the wiring is hacked up on this car, I might just replace the whole harness eventually.

@brads is the link in your sig inactive? Doesn't pull up if I copy and paste, was hoping to bookmark it and wondered if you may have an updated link?

Good question, not sure where that classified post went. I will have to see if I can update it.

For what it's worth, when I got my car it had a missing O2 sensor altogether. What we did was we bought a universal O2 which didn't come with the correct plug, and we chopped off the gray AC fan plug and wired it in. The plugs are in fact identical and they clip in just fine. I haven't had any problems with it ever coming apart or giving wrong signals.

.........................., and we chopped off the gray AC fan plug and wired it in. The plugs are in fact identical and they clip in just fine.....................

they shouldn't be identical. the guide rails on the O2 sensor won't fit in the fan connector.
You would have to shave the rails to make it work.

This is the correct (harness side) connector for the front O2. It has the space on the sides of the release tab so the rails can fit.

Dusty, note that I said AC Fan connector, not the main fan. Those two are in fact different. The one you're showing is the main fan plug which doesn't match up, yes. But the AC fan (at least on my Talon) is identical to the standard O2 plug and clips in perfectly. Here's a few pictures of that plug going into the harness O2 wiring, then a picture of the AC plug itself, and then next to the Main Fan plug. You can see the differences. You can try plugging your O2 plug into your AC Fan if you still have it, it will go in nicely.

First let me say sorry to mcubed45 because were kinda getting off topic from his question. Hopefully since your question has been answered, you don't mind.

Kryndon, thats weird that your plug is like that. I had one in my hand and checked it vs the 96 FSM before i posted that. i have since checked the 98 FSM and the 97 FSM. They all have the same wire colors as the plug in my hand.

So I didn't find an O2 sensor connector yet.. but I did find these 4 hacked up wires in the area. Any idea what this was?

Attachments

• 20190610-101614.jpg
    20190610-101614.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20190610-101620.jpg
    20190610-101620.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 124
it may be for the cruise control vacuum pump.
are the wire colors:
(light green/ black)
(blue/ yellow)
(blue/ black)
(blue/ orange)

and your relay is missing the cap or cover or top or whatever its called.

it should look more like this

Ya those are the colors. Thank you so much!
I guess I should just individually cap off those wires?Previous owner did an AC delete. I guess they got rid of cruise control as well.. idk why you wouldn't just leave the plug..

Is that relay cap important?

Last edited:
But the AC fan (at least on my Talon) is identical to the standard O2 plug and clips in perfectly.

While this is continuing the off topic discussion, I think it is useful to clarify what this is.

Kryndon, have you owned this car since new? What that third pic looks like, is someone actually shaved off the index tabs. I see small marks where the tabs used to be, like someone cut them off, then cleaned it up.

As for why someone would do that, it may be because it was easier to get the replacement black connector. I know some of the 3S/stealth companies were selling just the black connector and telling people to cut off the index tabs, or swap both sides of the gray connector out for the black one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back