The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G GSX Auto To Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drayvon

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2023
Lincoln Park, Michigan
I am currently figuring out all the parts I need to do a Auto to Manual swap on my GSX.

So far I know I need:
1. 5 speed transfer case
2. the one 5 speed tranny mount
3. 5 speed rear differential
4. shifter cables and shifter, brackets for cable, and matching shifter arms on the tranny
5. clutch/brake pedal assembly
6. Master and slave plus line
7. 5 speed engine/starter backplate
8. AWD 6bolt flywheel, bolts, clutch kit
9. 5 speed tranny

I currently bought a older 91-96 transfer case and I know my transmission will have to be also a 91-96 to match the ratio, would that matter for the other parts and is there any other parts I should get?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI the point was made you need a 95-96 trans. 1g trans does not have engine mounting bosses. 1g front and rear are on the engine. 2g front and rear are on the trans. That's why you can put a 1g motor in a 2g but not a 1g trans in a 2g. Although you can put a 2g trans in a 1g. There is also a slight bolt pattern change but if I recall you omit one bolt.

Last edited:
Just FYI the point was made you need a 95-96 trans. 1g trans does not have engine mounting bosses. 1g front and rear are on the engine. 2g front and rear are on the trans. That's why you can put a 1g motor in a 2g but not a 1g trans in a 2g. Although you can put a 2g trans in a 1g. There is also a slight bolt pattern change but if I recall you omit one bolt.
If you are crazy go nuts - you can take a 1G trans, and machine the internals of a 2G bell housing to match. That gives you the three motor mounts you need on the transaxle. Be sure to use the 2G output gear for the ratio match to the rear diff.

If you are crazy go nuts - you can take a 1G trans, and machine the internals of a 2G bell housing to match. That gives you the three motor mounts you need on the transaxle. Be sure to use the 2G output gear for the ratio match to the rear diff.
Elaborate please. 93,94 internal 1g is same as 2g. What are you suggesting?

Elaborate please. 93,94 internal 1g is same as 2g. What are you suggesting?
Oh? I didn't realize 93/94 had the same output ratio as 2G. The project I got 90% through was to adapt a "switchable" AWD/FWD transmission for a 2G. The internal bearings on the switchable trans uses a ball bearing non-tapered race on the input shaft, and we needed to change the output gear so that the "switchable" transfer case could be used with the stock 2G rear diff.

I never got it all the way done.. I'm actually looking for someone who would know what they are looking at to finish it.

I guess I wrongly assumed the 1G trans and the "switchable" trans were similar.

Last edited:
Oh? I didn't realize 93/94 had the same output ratio as 2G. The project I got 90% through was to adapt a "switchable" AWD/FWD transmission for a 2G. The internal bearings on the switchable trans uses a ball bearing non-tapered race on the input shaft, and we needed to change the output gear so that the "switchable" transfer case could be used with the stock 2G rear diff.
The gear ratio is the same for 90- 96, 97 up the final drive changed. and the input shaft bearing is an early 1990 thing only. After that they all had taper bearings.
I never got it all the way done.. I'm actually looking for someone who would know what they are looking at to finish it.

I guess I wrongly assumed the 1G trans and the "switchable" trans were similar.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back