1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GST Wing Removal

Posted by The Great White, Aug 17, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    So this is sounds stupid of me. I've been searching and can't find an easy answer. I'm in the process of repairing some rust around the rear hatch window. And as I'm sanding i'm thinking to myself how much easier it would be with the spoiler off. I removed four bolts that I thought were holding the spoiler on. But upon removal of those bolts, low and behold, didn't just come right off. Did I remove not enough, too many, or the right bolts? And if so, is there an adhesive that is holding it on, and I just need to yank harder, or does the spoiler slide off in a certain direction? I'm not trying to break it. Sorry, for some this is so simple, but I'm a newb, and can't find the answer.

451  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  2. johng96gst

johng96gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2011
    Westport, Massachusetts
    Im not sure how many bolts there are bud there is a rubber double sided tape between them. Try a little prybar with a rag around it and see if you get any movement if not there may be more bolts.

262  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  3. Quicksilver1695

Quicksilver1695 Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2009
    McKeesport, Pennsylvania
    there is also two plastic pins that help hold it. just pull up on the wing.

326  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. miguelmcv

miguelmcv Proven Member

Joined May 3, 2009
    Fresno, California
    It looks like you have the 3 peace wing.

It has a bolt at the middle of the wing, where the light locations is.

You have to remove the inner Panel to get to it.

If you have the 1 peace wing, then there are only 4 bolts.

I hope this helps.

Street Build 172  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. 98gsxTX

98gsxTX Proven Member

Joined Aug 10, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    OP: this guy with the double sided rubber tape, the person with the middle bolt and the other with the clips are right, but PLEASE DO NOT use a pry bar! it probably WILL dent your trunk...go to any auto hobby shop or maybe even walmart or something and get a paint safe solvent to remove the tape. then pull a little harder. that should work fine.

224  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  6. johng96gst

johng96gst Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2011
    Westport, Massachusetts
    I'm not saying to use a 3ft. crow bar and jump on it. Just see if you get movement. You can use tools gently sometimes. They sell poly prybars that are used for such applications as this and interior panel removal.

262  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  7. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    I have the one piece wing. So I don't have to deal with all those side pieces and middle bolt. But I just wanted to make sure there weren't any more bolts than those four I removed before I start tugging away. I have a heat gun from work I'll use to try and loosen that glue/adhesive up. So I guess we'll see. Hope I don't F*** it up. :D

451  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  8. crash89

crash89 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    A heat gun should work just fine. But all of these guys have pretty decent advice. I personally would probably use a razor blade or something to cut the tape under the wing.. Thats just me though.

4K  4

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  10

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    11.043 @ 125.92 · 2G DSM