The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

gst vs 420a exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubedmayhem

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2003
kirtland, OhioUS
Hey I thought that gst"s dont share the same catback as the 420a. Latly I have heard differently, but I dont consider them reliable sources. Can anyone clear this up?

Anyone else please reply i need more to throw back at my friends

No_Skillz said:
If you look at the two cars in their stock form, the turbo model will have twin exhaust tips, the naturally aspirated will have a single.

The tips are on the muffler and have nothing at all to do with the path the exhast takes to get from the motor to out the back. As all I have been exposed to is the turbo, I could not say what the difference is between the two, except that a 3" exhaust on a N/A would not fly.

Jim

The 2G GST and 420A exhausts are routed the same, and the use they same hangers. That's how so many 420A guys use GST exhausts as a cheap upgrade.

The only differences between the two exhaust systems are at the cat, and obviously the downpipes are much different.

I don't think the performance gains are that appreciable though (unless you're talking about buying an aftermarket GST exhaust). If I remember correctly, the GST has a 2.25" exhaust, thus, the only difference between the two is a better flowing muffler.

No_Skillz said:
You guys are missing the point of his question. He wants to prove to friends that the catback on the 2 cars are different.

Ok... then they're not, except for the mufflers.

actually i just may have been proved wrong. I kinda was talking about the piping, I really word that wrong. I knew the diameters would be different, but i thought that the piping was different. So in reality you COULD take a gst catback to the 420a and it WOULD have proper fitment?

cubedmayhem said:
actually i just may have been proved wrong. I kinda was talking about the piping, I really word that wrong. I knew the diameters would be different, but i thought that the piping was different. So in reality you COULD take a gst catback to the 420a and it WOULD have proper fitment?
Yes, many NT's use it for a cheap and effective upgrade. A 50$ stock exhaust is very effective and since it is NT anyways, does plenty for the motor.

cubedmayhem said:

Yep. Everything will match up exactly. Even the pipe diameters; as far as I know, all models (except the GSX maybe???) had 2.25" pipes. The only major difference between the GST and RS/GS is the muffler.

Don't know if the GSX had different diameters, but I know it was routed differently. Since both engines were the same setup basically, I would assume the size was the same for GST / GSX models, but I am not positive.

The cat-backs are routed the same between the turbo and n/t models. The actual design of the exhausts are different with the turbo exhaust having a larger diameter. The two exhausts are interchangeable.

The downpipes are obviously different.

The diameter on the GST/GSX are the same but the path is different due to driveshafts and the rearend. As for the 420a, the body molds for all the models are the same so other than the dp/muffler and i think the diameter, the path is the same from the cat-back.

Turbocharged said:
The actual design of the exhausts are different with the turbo exhaust having a larger diameter.

They have the same size diameter from the factory.

So I think we all came to the conclusion that...Yes...the Gs-t and 420A have the same diameter piping and take the same route as far as piping goes...with exception of a dual tip muffler? RIGHT? OK cubedmayhem... I think that is your answer unless you mean something else? Go and tell your friends off now. Good luck. :thumb:

i HAD BEEN MUCH INFORM!!!!!! I geuse that i lost that but a 12 pack each should make them HOPPFULLY forget bout it and not remind me. Hearing all different aspect of how they differ was relly goood feeback,but the question was piping. if it was the same. aslo should have made commit aftermarket wise would a catback for 420a fit corectly on
gst [ ex. cat].so this could be a;ll that is need needed:dsm: :dsm:

cubedmayhem said:
but the question was piping. if it was the same. aslo should have made commit aftermarket wise would a catback for 420a fit corectly on
gst [ ex. cat].

Yes... they're identical...

An Apex'i N1 catback for the GS-T Eclipse will bolt right up to an RS. Similarly, a Tsudo catback for the GS will fit on the GS-T. It doesn't matter what model you have, so long as it's not the GSX - other than that, all exhaust components from the catalytic converter back are interchangeable.

Thank guy the should be enogh, I was prove wrong, thank for all off the reply

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back