The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GST ECU reset

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceezdsm99

Proven Member
Mar 11, 2022
California
This is the long ecu reset method.To reset your ecu, first you have to move your key to the On position, but don’t start it. Keep it there for 2 minutes. Then start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes, you might hear two clicking noises coming from your battery or ecu.

After this, turn off your car and put it on the ON position for 2 minutes. Then start it back up and begin driving from anywhere from 15-30 minutes, Don't drive aggressively, Take it easy. You should notice it running and idling better.

Then turn it off and leave it on the On position for two minutes. Start her back up and give it gas , boost it, drive however you desire.

This method will fix idling issues after modifications or just idle surges in general, If this dosen't work you most likely have a boost leak or installed something incorrectly.

Also I’ve seen other people use this method but they disconnect the battery for 10 minutes First Then reconnect and start the process. For me it’s worked without disconnecting the battery.. go figure

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't see anything in the code that would make me believe this (as described) works.

Disconnecting the power from the ECU either by disconnecting the battery or unplugging the ECU will clear/reset all the stored data and driving as described after will usually finish the drive cycle and set the readyness monitors on the OBD2 ECU's or give the fuel trims on a 1G time to settle.

But I try to learn new things everyday so maybe this is more than the snake oil it seems.

I’ve actually known of this method from the 420as this works on them aswell , My gst would have a low idle when I first bought it . I had to turn on the condenser fans to keep the car from stalling out . Looked for boost leaked but there wasn’t any . My last resort was a new BISS screw . Bought one and when I went to go warm up my car to start the process , I let it idle for 10 min and then I turned it off and turned it back on . I went for a drive and noticed it ran better , and when I came to a stop it didn’t stall and I didn’t need the condenser fans to be on anymore 🙂 Did some research and this is the long way to reset your ecu , without having to disconnect your ecu . It works if you disconnect your battery as-well but I never had to do that step . This method is also posted on YouTube . Recently it happened to me again After I removed my radio/roomhabitacle fuses to keep the light from turning on . Turned on the gst and it idles and starting stalling just like before . Followed these steps and it fixed the low idle and stalling

Recently it happened to me again After I removed my radio/roomhabitacle fuses to keep the light from turning on

The Room fuse is where the ECU gets it's backup power to retain it's settings just like the radio. So if you don't have it installed and working the ECU is reset every time you turn it off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back