The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G GST Catback Exhaust (1gb)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrc_wkr

Probationary Member
Jun 26, 2018
Columbia, South_Carolina
I have been searching for a catback exhaust for my new (to me) '94 Tsi (FWD) but the pickings seem to be very slim. So far all I have found is Thermal Research & Development 3" Catback and CXRacing 3" catback. My car only came with a stainless downpipe so i know i will also need to get the test pipe/cat delete. I looked in the classifieds as well but there seems to be a shortage of 1G(b) exhausts for FWD. Is anyone aware of any other options? I found megan racing, hks, apexi, and a few others for either 1G AWD or 2G FWD but only these two options for 1G FWD. I pasted the links below for the two that i have found so far.

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=19866

http://www1.cxracing.com/mm5/mercha...t_Code=CB-ECLIPSE-1G&Category_Code=Eclipse-1G

I ran into the same issue with my 1GA. Really those are the only two options you have from what I have found. I ended up going with the Thermal and really like it. However, you could always source your own muffler and have an exhaust shop fab the rest of it up. Unfortunately, the profit margins in supporting a platform this old is not really tempting for companies anymore.

Yep those 2 are your best options. Other than that...youd be better off buying a few 3in mandrel bends and having a muffler shop weld it up. If not, itll have to be press bent. From what I remember, the bend over the rear suspension is what makes it tough for muffler shops with a press bend

any idea how much a fabbed exhaust would weigh? i mean i suppose i could chose my own material (i.e. stainless piping or titanium if i want to go crazy). that CXRacing is just so stupid heavy (estimated shipping weight of 85lbs) so even though it's cheaper it is not an attractive purchase to me. i searched for awhile but could not find the weight of the stock 1gb exhaust. i do like the thermal research & development option, i am considering it as well. i will talk to some exhaust shops this weekend, thank you @SouthIndy_Talon and @streetraceboi !

If you can't find fwd, I'd look for a used awd. Fwd doesn't fit awd but awd will fit fwd.
As far as the test pipe, you really just need the two flanges, the length of pipe and it welded up. Beware tho I had to cock my test pipe sum degrees because the angle from my Megan dp to Megan catback wasn't as straight forward as it should have been.

@Bud92gsx thanks for the suggestion, there are a lot more options for the AWD exhaust so i have a feeling i should be able to find something much easier now. i have a stainless downpipe but i will need to weld in a bung for a wideband sensor, or i may just try to find a complete used turbo back exhaust.

I always thought the gas tank and rear bracing was in the way of the AWD exhaust. I would double check before you buy anything. I am pretty sure you will have to hack up an AWD to fit. However, I have never looked to doing that myself, just speaking from what I have read...

@SouthIndy_Talon that is what i was reading too. although it seemed to only have an impact due to the saddle tank which is only gsx i believe. so it seems plausible that the the FWD exhaust would not work with AWD due to the tank location. but bc the FWD doesnt have the saddle tank the AWD muffler will still work and just be routed around a non existent barrier (i.e no saddle tank). can anyone confirm?

I am not sure. Here is a picture of the exhaust on my car. I would think the exhaust has to route around the gas tank and around the bracing. I think the exhaust would be too low if you went under everything.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back