1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GSC R2 cams

Posted by TSiBOLO, Jan 19, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TSiBOLO

TSiBOLO Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2016
    Milford, Michigan
    Any DSMs running the R2’s in a 2.0? I know they are advertised for a stroker. But duration stays the same as S2 with higher lift at 12mm.

Street Build 469  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  2. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    You can't compare cams with only the advertised duration numbers. The R2 has 6 degrees more duration at .040" than the S2.
    It's just they would fit better with a stroker engine but it doesn't mean you can't use them in a 2.0. Compare to the S2 in a 2.0, it would be a bit more peaky, narrower power band. you would have less low/mid power but more on top.

Drag Race Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. BlackGSXEclipse

BlackGSXEclipse Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2007
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Listen to the manufacturer. Call GSC and they will tell you the r2s are for a stroker.
    I doubt your going to find anyone running them in a 2.0.

Street Build 1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. TSiBOLO

TSiBOLO Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2016
    Milford, Michigan
    I only found Evos running them and a couple were 2.0s. Headgames recommended for me to use them. So just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.

Street Build 469  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  5. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    I have no experience with the R2 in a 2.0L. I don't know if this will be of any help, but just speaking of my experience. I was using the Kelford 276/272 12.5mm lift in a 2.0L which is supposed to be their 272 range cams that fit better in a stroker. It was definitely fine in a 2.0L. Just the power band was obviously higher than their 272, so I liked it in the track more than on the street. if it's mainly for streets then maybe you should go with the S2 if you want GSC's cams.

Drag Race Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. TSiBOLO

TSiBOLO Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2016
    Milford, Michigan
    Right on, they seem to be a nice middle ground between 272 and 280. Hopefully the perfect pairing on an auto car with a 67mm turbo.

Street Build 469  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM