The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GSC R2 cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any DSMs running the R2’s in a 2.0? I know they are advertised for a stroker. But duration stays the same as S2 with higher lift at 12mm.
You can't compare cams with only the advertised duration numbers. The R2 has 6 degrees more duration at .040" than the S2.
It's just they would fit better with a stroker engine but it doesn't mean you can't use them in a 2.0. Compare to the S2 in a 2.0, it would be a bit more peaky, narrower power band. you would have less low/mid power but more on top.

I only found Evos running them and a couple were 2.0s. Headgames recommended for me to use them. So just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.

I only found Evos running them and a couple were 2.0s. Headgames recommended for me to use them. So just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.
I have no experience with the R2 in a 2.0L. I don't know if this will be of any help, but just speaking of my experience. I was using the Kelford 276/272 12.5mm lift in a 2.0L which is supposed to be their 272 range cams that fit better in a stroker. It was definitely fine in a 2.0L. Just the power band was obviously higher than their 272, so I liked it in the track more than on the street. if it's mainly for streets then maybe you should go with the S2 if you want GSC's cams.

Right on, they seem to be a nice middle ground between 272 and 280. Hopefully the perfect pairing on an auto car with a 67mm turbo.

Just checking in to see if any dsmer's have tried the GSC R2's since this thread was created back in January 2020. Firstly, I want to admit that I'm not that knowledgeable on cams. I have a modest build going with a 2.3L that I just had freshly built and am considering these as a cam option, but I can't find a single DSMer (particularly with a 2.3 or 2.4L) with actual experience with these. I was considering using this cam with an old FP3052 on moderate boost (no more than 23 psi, probably reving no higher than 7.3k) and possibly either a new JMF Race or Street for 85% roadcourse use and maybe 15% autocross. I've found a handful of guys on the evo websites with experience, but no one with dsm.

The gist I'm getting from the evo guys with the R2s and stroker is that it supposedly has the benefit of zero to minimal low end loss compared to S2, but has the top end flow of the S3.

According to GSC, these cams require the GSC Beehive springs and their titanium retainers and paying particular attention to the seal to retainer clearance because of the 12mm peak lift. The cost of these cams with springs/retainers would be comparable to a GSC S2 or Kelford 272 with springs/retainers, so I am keeping these open as an option. However, I kinda don't wanna be the guinea pig on this...

Anyone have any personal experience on R2s they wanna share?

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back