The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G GS-T vs GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello my fellow DSM addicts.

I have a question that I have been pondering for a while. I want to start building and developing my first performance car and I decided to choose the DSM platform as it is one of my dream cars. I recently purchased my first DSM which is a 1997 Eclipse GS-T. It was just a clean rolling shell, but I have since dumped about 3k into it for all the wiring, engine, trans, and a bunch of new oem parts to get it back to its stock form. I'm debating if a fwd 2g would be a good platform or if I should just wait and buy a gsx to build. I would like this car to be a good track car and something I can just take around for some spiriting driving. I know the GS-T has an open diff, but that could be solved with installing an LSD, but even with an lsd it won't be putting power down as well as a GSX. Before I dump more money into a built engine, trans work, ecm, seats, harness, and other items, I want to know if a GS-T is a good platform or is I should just save my pennies and buy a GSX. Either way I will not be selling my GS-T, I can daily it and have fun in its stock form. Thank you, feel free to ask any questions!

What are your goals for the car? I have a Gs-T with Wavetrac LSD. I run Feal Coilovers Road Race spec with 255/40r17 Toyo R1R on 17x9 RPF1s. Fp Red 76HTZ running 28 lbs boost and I hold the road very well. Fwd is all about being setup properly.

What are your goals for the car? I have a Gs-T with Wavetrac LSD. I run Feal Coilovers Road Race spec with 255/40r17 Toyo R1R on 17x9 RPF1s. Fp Red 76HTZ running 28 lbs boost and I hold the road very well. Fwd is all about being setup properly.

Hp goals would be 400-600 (built engine) and as far as use I want something that I can just use at the track and still be fast from a dig.

For street fun a GST is cool. Although I wouldnt really go past the 350hp range as it becomes harder to get traction.
If you want a monster build go with a GSX.
The problem is that it's becoming harder to find a clean GSX which is why some people settle for a GST. Doing an AWD swap is very possible. But id prefer to just find a gsx than to swap a gst to awd.

Ultimately it's your choice, on where you decide to dump your money. Personally i wouldn't dump on a GST. To each their own tho.

Also keep in mind subtle differences, I don't have a list since I'm new to DSM but I know the GSX has shorter gear ratios, possibly better brakes, swaybars? Not sure.
It also has different exhaust too, so if you do an AWD swap be prepared to convert that also. The costs can add up when you try to clone performance models.
I think FWD is great for light cars like Hondas, but these seem like they would definitely be suited to AWD especially if you're wanting to run 400+whp

Do you want to set track records with the car/be constantly looking for hard to find awd parts or drive it? If you want to drive one then Gst otherwise Gsx, there are a lot of fast fwd cars out there Kiggly racing comes to mind, fwd can do single digits, you just need to want to do it bad enough, remember the fastest cars at the track are 2wd, if awd was all that great John Force would be using it.ROFL

For street fun a GST is cool. Although I wouldnt really go past the 350hp range as it becomes harder to get traction.
If you want a monster build go with a GSX.
The problem is that it's becoming harder to find a clean GSX which is why some people settle for a GST. Doing an AWD swap is very possible. But id prefer to just find a gsx than to swap a gst to awd.

Ultimately it's your choice, on where you decide to dump your money. Personally i wouldn't dump on a GST. To each their own tho.

I heard torque steer is a huge pain when passing 320-350hp...

Do you want to set track records with the car/be constantly looking for hard to find awd parts or drive it? If you want to drive one then Gst otherwise Gsx, there are a lot of fast fwd cars out there Kiggly racing comes to mind, fwd can do single digits, you just need to want to do it bad enough, remember the fastest cars at the track are 2wd, if awd was all that great John Force would be using it.ROFL

I'm not looking to set any records, but I want to have a respectable car that can compete with other cars of the same performance. I would like to have roughly 400hp with torque somewhere close to that. I know I would have to put in an lsd, but torque steer might happen regardless. I also know that power doesn't equal a fast car so alot of money will have to be spent in coilovers, braces ect. I would be fine with fwd I guess.....but a gsx swap does sound a bit more appealing and exciting.

Also keep in mind subtle differences, I don't have a list since I'm new to DSM but I know the GSX has shorter gear ratios, possibly better brakes, swaybars? Not sure.
It also has different exhaust too, so if you do an AWD swap be prepared to convert that also. The costs can add up when you try to clone performance models.
I think FWD is great for light cars like Hondas, but these seem like they would definitely be suited to AWD especially if you're wanting to run 400+whp

I actually want to build a fwd civic, but I currently want to build my dsm first. There are many brake options that can easily be swapped in and all suspension components can be swapped for stiffer or softer ones. Not sure on the gear ratio thing, I know DSM's aren't really for top speed mainly for more technical driving.

I heard torque steer is a huge pain when passing 320-350hp...

You can minimize torque steer but again, that comes with FWD territory.

I actually want to build a fwd civic, but I currently want to build my dsm first.

And if you want to do a civic as well, I'm telling you right now, don't even bother with a GST. The civic will be a far better car power/weight as a FWD build than a DSM.
I'm sure it sounds cool to do an AWD swap but it's a ton of work, and money. Thats if you're not careful with your finances. Thats why I believe you're better off getting a GSX instead of converting into one. But yeah, thats pretty much I have on the matter

I have a Fiesta ST as a daily, so I know FWD can be fun. I just wouldn't get a GST if I wanted more than a maxed out 14b turbo.

GSTs in the moderate/low power range can be fun as hell. Especially if you properly set it up. I know SRT4's that pull 1.7 60' times on street tires.

AWD can be SUPER fun too, tbh it's all in what you can find. Work with what you've got. Aiming for 400-600 right out the bat on an AWD or a FWD is gonna be a challenge if you've never done it on this platform before. I'd say find what you can find, and set some realistic goals at first so you can learn the car, learn what these PITA DSMs like and don't like, see how it reacts, then go from there. Take your time basically. #1 cause of part outs and give ups are people who want a billion horsepower right out of the gate because of youtube stars or "friends of a friend" who have "900awhp and run 8's on a stock block".

Baby steps. The car, and your future self, will thank you. Find a clean 2g GST, keep up with the maintenance and give it useable upgrades little by little, learn to TUNE THE CAR YOURSELF, then in the future if you decide FWD Sucks, you can AWD swap it, then go bigger and bigger. :)

There are many brake options that can easily be swapped in and all suspension components can be swapped for stiffer or softer ones. Not sure on the gear ratio thing, I know DSM's aren't really for top speed mainly for more technical driving.

yeah.. anything /can/ be swapped. But don't overlook the little frustrations and time spent. For me, I even consider things like cussing from dirt/rust falling in my eyes when I'm under the car. Crawling under/out, driving out to the junkyard, going to oreillys etc. It adds up a lot. God help me if I break a bolt or have to use all my bodyweight to break something loose LOL!!

Of course, GSX's are more expensive and getting so hard to find in decent shape or at all. So I definitely understand that, but > I'd rather focus my energy on actual fun mods instead of OEM mods <

They might have the same exact brakes/suspension for all I know. but I can say the GSX is shorter geared than GST for sure. that final drive tho
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Well picking a rust free chassi is key for me. I know I didn't want to chase rust around. With the after market support things like subframes, drive shafts , fuel tank can be bought , So you don't have to put in that carrier bearing support for the front and such. When it comes to cars and mods u need to set your goals high and have a back up when they can't be met. Research and plan, and find the best parts you can afford. Some times a little elbow grease and patience... 5 years since I tore my gst down to convert to awd. I know what I want and it will just take more time to get thier.

Well picking a rust free chassi is key for me. I know I didn't want to chase rust around. With the after market support things like subframes, drive shafts , fuel tank can be bought , So you don't have to put in that carrier bearing support for the front and such. When it comes to cars and mods u need to set your goals high and have a back up when they can't be met. Research and plan, and find the best parts you can afford. Some times a little elbow grease and patience... 5 years since I tore my gst down to convert to awd. I know what I want and it will just take more time to get thier.

My GS-T has no rust at all and that is hard to find given that I live in WI. I really want to AWD swap it, but I'm just wondering if it isn't worth it.

I just completed my GST - GSX swap and I documented the whole thing pretty thoroughly in my build thread if you want to check it out. I had my GST for almost 18 years before swapping it. It was fun, but I really wanted to put down more power reliably. I was doing a lot of spinning at the track and had to really feather the clutch. If you decide to do a GSX swap I would suggest getting a whole car. Having the whole car at your disposal is the way to go - every bolt, bracket, whatever ... is right there. I found a Talon that had been lightly hit and the owner chose not to repair. Someone else mentioned YouTube - Jason Drew, or jdxnc has done 2 GST - GSX swaps now and he documented his brothers through video which is pretty detailed. It'll give you a good idea of what all is involved. It's not easy, but it's not that hard either.

I've got to convert a gst spyder this winter but i also have 2 good awd cars and 2 wrecked awds to pull measurements and parts from. Im completely new to the 2g dsm scene, so like you its going to be a learning curver for me coming in with only 1g awd knowlwdge.
Id say keep your gst no question keep it and convert it. Starting with a clean shell is a huge step in the right direction. Like you I live in the rust belt, most awds are rotted out poorly modified and abused. 8 months ago i only had 3 1gb awds 2 turn key one needing and engine and tcase, now ive got 4 1gb awds and 6 2ga's gst and awd. They litterly just fell into my lap for free or for dirt cheap. My advise is like others have said build your current gst slowly mod it gradually. Maybe build your civic before you awd swap the gst. Use the time to wait for a deal on a awd 2g whether it be a wrecked one or rusty turn key unit. Gives you time to expand your knowledge base on the platform and whats required for the swap.
Just my 2cents

This is my 2 cents. Both cars are good. Obviously if you can get a GSX then why not. But if you owned a GST like me then I am not going to knock it either. I know tractions going to be a issue. So I run a 6 stage boost controller with a push button that I can add more boost anytime I want. LSD, Axles. Though in the future I would like to convert to GSX. So if you have a choice of course GSX is the way to go.

Though reading some of these comments I just don't know what some of you are talking about. It's all how you setup your car. My GST has no problem running a 20g. It launches really hard and the car is fun AF. Either one you pick, your going to have fun.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back