The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

GS/RS vs. GST/GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivet0r

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2002
Riverside_CA
Is getting a 2G GS completely not even worth it? I want a GST/GSX, but crankwalk isn't worth the risk. So it's either a GS, or a completely different car. I plan on modding my car, racing etc. So honestly, would getting a GS just be stupid?

Everyone makes crankwalk to be a huge deal, i've heard about tons of people that have gotten it, and i honestly don't want to be spending 10-15 grand for something that is just going to break.

Let me start off by saying. Crankwalk can happen to any car. 2G turbo DSMs have gotten a black out from this. The amount of 2G's that crankwalk is so minimum that it would not keep me from buying another 2G DSM. And if it does walk. Buy a 6 bolt engine for less then $1800. Problem solved.

Like dannyboy said, 4g63 is the way to go. So is AWD if you want some good times. I am not saying a 420a cant make power, but its so much cheaper and easier on a 4g63.

IMHO, a 2G N/A DSM is not the way to go. If you are too worried about CW then get a 1st gen AWD DSM. $1000 into that and you have a mid 13 sec car.

Originally posted by boostineklipz
Let me start off by saying. Crankwalk can happen to any car. 2G turbo DSMs have gotten a black out from this. The amount of 2G's that crankwalk is so minimum that it would not keep me from buying another 2G DSM. And if it does walk. Buy a 6 bolt engine for less then $1800. Problem solved.

Like dannyboy said, 4g63 is the way to go. So is AWD if you want some good times. I am not saying a 420a cant make power, but its so much cheaper and easier on a 4g63.

IMHO, a 2G N/A DSM is not the way to go. If you are too worried about CW then get a 1st gen AWD DSM. $1000 into that and you have a mid 13 sec car.

Ok, thanks dude. I was going to type that in my first reply, but I was like "what the hell?" people are still going to ignore what I say. Boostineklipz is right, the amount of 2G's that crankwalk is so minimum that it would not keep me from buying another 2G DSM either.

I figure that the argument to come now is the insurance one...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rivet0r

so you're saying i shouldn't get a 2G?

I am saying a 420a (non-turbo) DSM is not a wise decision if you want to go fast. IF you are happy with looks, then by all means get a n/a( naturally aspirated) DSM.

1G DSMs with the 6 bolt motors tend not to get Crankwalk and the 1G DSM has some more advantages over a 2G DSM. Bigger turbo, stronger rods, better blow off valve, intake manifold and so on.

If you want styling with speed go with a 1995 or 1999 GSX. They have the lowest rate of walking.

Originally posted by boostineklipz

I am saying a 420a (non-turbo) DSM is not a wise decision if you want to go fast. IF you are happy with looks, then by all means get a n/a( naturally aspirated) DSM.

1G DSMs with the 6 bolt motors tend not to get Crankwalk and the 1G DSM has some more advantages over a 2G DSM. Bigger turbo, stronger rods, better blow off valve, intake manifold and so on.

If you want styling with speed go with a 1995 or 1999 GSX. They have the lowest rate of walking.

I thought 95 was the highest crankwalk numbers?

And for the record Dodge Neons have much better suspension mods and an aftermarket for the slightly different 420A. I know of a guy who managed a 13 second 1/4 mile ALL MOTOR neon.

If you want a 2g NA then just get a Dodge Neon. It is the same thing only with a bigger aftermarket and a lighter weight.

imo, if you plan on building a race car, it's definetly not worth it to buy a n/a. now if you just wanted a car to do a couple mods to, nothing major, mainly just a daily driver for transportation...the n/a would be a fine car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back