The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Ground for the block or body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qbecicka

Probationary Member
Nov 20, 2021
Oxford, Iowa
Hi I have a 97 eclipse gst and the car won’t crank at all and also the fuel pump isn’t working idk if it is because of my ground or what or wiring but it was all working before I rebuilt it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Assuming the battery is good make sure you have 2 large cables on battery negative. One to the body firewall and the other to a starter mounting bolt. On the 2g turbo, the fuel pump won't run until the engine is cranking or running (getting CAS pulses). It does not go on with the key in Start position if engine is not turning (like the 2g NT model does).

Hi I have a 97 eclipse gst and the car won’t crank at all and also the fuel pump isn’t working idk if it is because of my ground or what or wiring but it was all working before I rebuilt it.

If this pic is supposed to show a ground it isn't. That's your knock sensor.

I wonder if it will screw into a side terminal...........:hmm:

Assuming the battery is good make sure you have 2 large cables on battery negative. One to the body firewall and the other to a starter mounting bolt. On the 2g turbo, the fuel pump won't run until the engine is cranking or running (getting CAS pulses). It does not go on with the key in Start position if engine is not turning (like the 2g NT model does).
One is going to the fire wall and the other is going to the starter and the starter is all hooked up. Does that ground go there?

If this pic is supposed to show a ground it isn't. That's your knock sensor.
Thank you I was under the wrong impression I figured out where that goes

@Qbecicka

These are the locations of the grounds, straight from the factory service manual. All of the service manuals are online for you to access here.

This manual specifically is where the below image is from. Scroll down to page 16.

Hope that helps.

Ok thanks I got the grounds figured out. The starter still won’t do anything when I turn the key over the starter was good when I took the engine apart do you think it could be a relay

I assume you've verified the battery is good and you've got full power when you turn the key (headlights work, door chime makes noise, etc.).

You say the starter doesn't do anything. Do you mean literally nothing, as in completely lifeless, or it just doesn't start the car? For example, when you turn the key to start, does the starter solenoid click? Does it just spin the flywheel? Not engage the teeth of the flywheel?

No the starter literally does nothing doesn’t click spin engage or anything.

If it were me, I'd double check the wiring to the starter really quick. Make sure no wiring got pinched or torn during the removal and replacement of the motor. Verify it's all connected and plugged in where its supposed to be. On my car (I have a 1992 model) the starter has a ground wire with an eyelet that one of the bolts goes through. It's easy to miss in the dark down there.
If all that looked good, I'd move on to the relay. On a 1g DSM, the relay is in the cab by the pedals. Not sure where it is on your 2g car. Maybe someone else can pinpoint it for you. Anyway, you can use a multimeter to test the relay. The exact testing procedure for the relay is in the manuals I linked you to.

Also, go over this guide. It'll probably help you troubleshoot the no-start problem faster than asking questions and waiting on our answers. How to diagnose a no-start

Hey, no problem! Let us know how it goes.

And check back into this thread in case some of the other more experienced members add some more info.

And just for fun do you still have an active clutch switch. If so rule that out too and unplug it. I'm assuming you are 5speed.

Check that the "spade" terminal is hooked up on the starter. It may have been mentioned and I missed it but it is the signal wire to activate the solenoid.
Usually that or NO GROUND is the culprit if it doesn't even "click".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back