The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Grinding Starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleonda

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2021
Waco, Texas
I just bought a 97 GSX, with a 6 bolt and a 98 auto transmission swap with the auto flex plate from Kiggly. When trying to turn over the car it sounds like the starter is grinding horribly for about a second then sounds like its just spinning and doesn't turn over. Im having no luck finding info. I have bought a new starter thinking this could of been the issue and it does the same thing.
Thanks!

Some times when you use an aftermarket part (Kiggly flex plate ) you may need to shim the starter.. If this was working fine before and just came out of now where I would think you have some teeth missing off the starter bendix or flywheel .. ?
Ill see if shimming the starter helps. I bought a new starter and the flywheel seems fine. It would turn over sometimes but takes a while to catch sometimes.

I do not recall the mention of a new starter but a flex plate .. Installing that flex plate you would definitely need to remount the starter .. It sounds like the bendix is not engaging the flywheel correctly....Try a starter shim ( what size I haven't a clue ) but it could be an easy fix .

I do not recall the mention of a new starter but a flex plate .. Installing that flex plate you would definitely need to remount the starter .. It sounds like the bendix is not engaging the flywheel correctly....Try a starter shim ( what size I haven't a clue ) but it could be an easy fix .
Ok thank you very much! Ill give that a try.

As I reread this thread there was mention of a new starter .. Try the shim or possibly the Bendix is not even engaging and in that case it would be the wrong starter .. If you have your old starter just compare the nose cones and see if they mount the same.. If not .. take the original and change it over to the new one...

As I reread this thread there was mention of a new starter .. Try the shim or possibly the Bendix is not even engaging and in that case it would be the wrong starter .. If you have your old starter just compare the nose cones and see if they mount the same.. If not .. take the original and change it over to the new one...
The shim didnt work, after putting the shim in the starter just sounded like it was spinning not even making the grinding sound at the point. Could it be a bad flywheel?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back