The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Grinding/scraping noise in right rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_and_case

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Monticello, New_York
I have torn down my rear brakes 3 times now trying to figure out what this grinding/scraping noise is. No luck and everything is fine or looks fine. New pads, the rotors were cut within specs and my calipers are working(or at least they compress easily with a C-clamp). I checked the adjustment on the E-brake, the anti rattle clips aren't rubbing.... I can hear the noise when I am slowing down or pushing on the brakes.
I have read the other threads that seem to have the same problem, everyone has done what I have but no solution posted.... Did anyone figure it out?

I was thinking maybe the wheel bearing in the rear ( but last time I had a bad wheel bearing it was more of a humming sound) OR maybe the rear axle? (I'm familiar with bad axles being a clicking sound) Any suggestions here would be great. :banghead:

check the backing plate that the parking brake shoes are attatched to. If it is bent it can be rubbing on the rotor. some times this only happens around corners as the hub will flex slightly..

Thanks for the reply, we are going to go through it again tomorrow. I have a wheel bearing just in case it is bad. I'll update tomorrow if i find the solution.

ok update.... The constant noise is actually my hub in the front. The grinding in the rear..... I broke down and took it to a shop. It ended up being my rotors were cut "rough" ... So new rotors were put on the car and my noise went away. So lesson learned.... I will never have my rear rotors cut again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back