The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

grinding noise when letting off gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgmtboarder

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 17, 2008
Bozeman, Montana
hey everyone. ive recently begun this problem that when im gasing it pretty hard and then let off of the gas to coast down to speed, something makes a rattling or grinding noise under the car. but it doesnt do it all the time. sometimes its lound other times i dont hear it. ive notice if i push in the clutch it goes away. anything ideas?

I have the same problem on my 91 after market clutch and flywheel although you don't have a after market flywheel I think it's the T.O.B thats the only that make sense for it to go away when the clutch is pushed in.

Did you ever find what was making the noise? My car is doing the same thing. Ill try to upload a video/sound clip and see if its the same noise you're hearing.

i havent. it sounds like the transfer case but it got fluid and everything, or the drive shaft or bearings. idk. just weird how it goes away with throttle or pushing in clutch. i just try and ignore it.

I stopped by Deep Stage here in Killeen, TX and let one of their guys drive my car, he said it was just something loose. Downpipe or something else metal rattling around. I couldnt find anything loose and it doesnt seem to me like it would only do it when decelerating/clutch out.

well I can't be sure on the noise and when it started because my car didn't run when I bought it, but I have been told that it is the carrier bearing by various shops. Just haven't looked into it.

I've been dealing with this issue as well.. went so far as to take the tranny off and replace the throwout bearing (put the one that came with my Spec clutch instead of OEM). While that made my clutch feel much better and function properly, it didn't get rid of that awful grinding. No leaks either.

I've also been hearing this noise. I too have a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch, I'd be happy to find out that it's just this...unless it's causing damage of course...is it causing damage?

Anyone else got anything to add to this? I have the same noise with an ACT clutch. I hope it's just that, because I've been thinking it was my transfer case or rear diff this whole time but the gst guys have the same noise so maybe just a clutch.

LOL ROFL I also have an upgraded clutch and an aluminum flywheel, Rebuilt transmission and transfer-case and and engine with no balance shafts. The noise is a HEAVY metallic grinding sound. As far as I can hear from inside and out the noise is coming from the rear, but I'm not certain. I vanishes when I press the clutch in, or push on the gas pedal. I mainly hear it above 50km when I'm engaged in a gear and my foot off the gas pedal. I will upload a video next time I have the car out. I hope the snow stays off the ground for a couple more days :pray:.

Ps- It's not the carrier bearings either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back