The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

grinding into 3rd and fourth

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsemustang

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 15, 2005
suburbs, Minnesota
so i was driving the other day and decided to do a little WOT driving so i floored it through 1st and 2nd but as i tried to shift into 3rd gear all it would do is grind so i then tried to put it into 4th but that would just grind as well so as last resort i put it into 5th and it went in just fine, it will also go back into 2nd just fine. this doesnt happen all the time though its only happend to me twice but both were in the last month, i was wondering if anyone knew what was wrong? maybe the synchro's or clutch or transmission. althought a new clutch and transmission were just put in 10,000 miles ago. any help would be great

Well depends, were you trying to shift at high RPM's, like around 7000? if not and you were just casually driving your synchro's might be shitty or/and your shift fork might be bent

so i was driving the other day and decided to do a little WOT driving so i floored it
same thing happens to me with 3rd gear sometimes. im just gonna swap in some syncromesh and not worry too much about it b/c i hardly "get on it"

Clutch, trans, DRIVER? Try going all out through 1st, 2nd, then letting out the clutch in neutral, then putting it in 3rd. kinda like double clutching, but slowing down the trans, not speeding it up. be your own synchro. :thumb: then you can elimate that as a possible prob. Does this happen every time you rip through 1st and 2nd?

it doesnt happen all the time only two times in the past month, and it was shifting at high rpms but only like 5000 not 7000, and i wasnt trying to double clutch or anything i was just going stright through the gears

Thats going to be tough to pin-point if it onily happens some times, because then you dont know if it is what you are testing, or just it didnt do it that time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back