The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Grinding from front passenger side?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigzag_gsx

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2017
Baker, Montana
I have a problem with my 98 GSX. I’ve heard a grinding noise from my front passenger wheel. I tried wiggling everything but it’s all tight and good. The grinding would go away after about 20 mph. Now it doesn’t go away and I slow down a lot faster. I’m thinking my brakes on that wheel are locking up?

Have you checked your rotors on the inside? Sometimes the outside area although it looks ok, the inside is bad. Possibly due to bad brakes or caliper. worth a check.
Pulled the wheel today. Great advice, absolutely right. Nothing left of the pad. New pads and rotors will be ordered tomorrow. Thanks

You need to find out why it was only the inner pad if that is what happened? It appears so.

Very likely improperly maintained calipers/brake hardware. I've seen this too many times if the hardware is old/worn out and the calipers are improperly lubricated only one pad will make contact.

@Zigzag_gsx Make sure you take the time to clean everything up with a wire brush, grease everything, and replace the brake hardware to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Very likely improperly maintained calipers/brake hardware. I've seen this too many times if the hardware is old/worn out and the calipers are improperly lubricated only one pad will make contact.

@Zigzag_gsx Make sure you take the time to clean everything up with a wire brush, grease everything, and replace the brake hardware to make sure this doesn't happen again.
I agree. The OP needs to verify the above statement.

Replacing all of it. The caliper gave out and locked the inner pad against the rotor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back