The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GridLife 2023 rules released

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxitement

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2002
DOBBS FERRY, New_York
GridLife released its updated 2023 rules packages for the different styles and classes of racing. We need to get more DSMs out to these events to showcase what these cars can do and just how capable they are. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can click on options you want to learn about. Having raced at and won a GridLife event this past season, I can tell you it’s a well run event that’s a ton of fun.

I attended their event at PRI 2021 when they announced this year's schedule. I should have followed up with it more. This year certainly wouldn't have happened but I'm thinking about it. Just a little more tuning and the Eclipse will be more ready than it has ever been...

I attended their event at PRI 2021 when they announced this year's schedule. I should have followed up with it more. This year certainly wouldn't have happened but I'm thinking about it. Just a little more tuning and the Eclipse will be more ready than it has ever been...
Hell yeah!! Get out there! We need more DSMs on track!

I currently have my Talon being refreshed with the sole purpose of building it for GLTC. It won't be completely ready for that until 2024, but I intend on attending at least one of the Gingerman events and potentially Mid-Ohio also. I've been to both tracks many times in other cars, but I want to use those events to get used to the organization and format for TT, and sort the suspension of the car before caging it.

It still surprises how there are NO all-wheel drive cars running in GLTC. Granted, this series has historically been focused on lightweight FWD vehicles, the GLTC rule set can certainly favor an AWD DSM that is properly setup.

I currently have my Talon being refreshed with the sole purpose of building it for GLTC. It won't be completely ready for that until 2024, but I intend on attending at least one of the Gingerman events and potentially Mid-Ohio also. I've been to both tracks many times in other cars, but I want to use those events to get used to the organization and format for TT, and sort the suspension of the car before caging it.

It still surprises how there are NO all-wheel drive cars running in GLTC. Granted, this series has historically been focused on lightweight FWD vehicles, the GLTC rule set can certainly favor an AWD DSM that is properly setup.
Excellent!!! I got a buddy building his for StreetMod hopefully. Gotta get these cars out there!! Gonna surprise some people. And yeah, going over the rules, there’s no “no AWD” anywhere. Just power to weight. So if you can get the car light, you could almost run a pretty close to stock setup and it’ll be reliable as hell. I’m all for it.

That is basically my plan! I am hoping I can get it below 3100lbs race weight (all fluids + driver) which I know will be a challenge. If I can do that though, it should have a good chance at being competitive, so long as the driver can actually use that potential.
I initially planned to run a small MHI 16g on low boost, but I am considering changing that plan to just a 14b for the slightly faster spool time.
These cars should shine mid-corner to exit apex, so I want to make sure I can have a good amount of throttle response and torque. Then I'll just have to figure out how to make it turn properly.

That is basically my plan! I am hoping I can get it below 3100lbs race weight (all fluids + driver) which I know will be a challenge. If I can do that though, it should have a good chance at being competitive, so long as the driver can actually use that potential.
I initially planned to run a small MHI 16g on low boost, but I am considering changing that plan to just a 14b for the slightly faster spool time.
These cars should shine mid-corner to exit apex, so I want to make sure I can have a good amount of throttle response and torque. Then I'll just have to figure out how to make it turn properly.
3100 pounds shouldn’t be that big a task honestly. My car was 3100 pounds when I just had a gutted back half and a 4 point roll bar. You get it down to 2900 before the cage you should be right like 3000 pounds. As far as handling, Evo rear diff. A good front diff. I’ll actually be announcing something soon that will also help with handling. Get all of Pauls and Bobbys arms. And figure out a hood braking package. I like the 14B idea just to see where the car is competitively. At 3100 lbs, what’s your max HP?

You're exactly correct, maybe I wasn't clear.
My goal for the car itself - with all safety items, ready to go - would be 2950lbs.
I should be at 3200lbs race weight, which I have to include myself and all the fuel.

If I can get to 3200lbs race weight, that would be 249HP.
3100lbs I would have to be down to 242HP.

In my calculation, I am also including front and rear aero, ABS delete, and the turbo modifiers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You're exactly correct, maybe I wasn't clear.
My goal for the car itself - with all safety items, ready to go - would be 2950lbs.
I should be at 3200lbs race weight, which I have to include myself and all the fuel.

If I can get to 3200lbs race weight, that would be 249HP.
3100lbs I would have to be down to 242HP.

In my calculation, I am also including front and rear aero, ABS delete, and the turbo modifiers.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Ahhh copy that. That’s awesome man. Can’t wait to see this thing out there! Are you going to make any GridLife events in 23? Even just in Track Battle?

My tentative plan is to run Gingerman in May for shake down - probably just in HPDE.
If that goes well, then go to Mid-Ohio in August. I'll run it in track battle in the StreetMod class to test competitiveness.

My tentative plan is to run Gingerman in May for shake down - probably just in HPDE.
If that goes well, then go to Mid-Ohio in August. I'll run it in track battle in the StreetMod class to test competitiveness.
Yeah it won’t be competitive in street mod. Those are big power guys. Jackie Ding is in Street mod and is usually fastest car at the track all weekend. But if your car fits into street mod and not like street GT or Street, then I guess you have no choice LOL. If anything, just run wherever the car fits and compare lap times to the GLTC guys.

Unfortunately with the GLTC aero, I would not be able to run in the Street Class.
And Club TR is restricted to 1.6L Turbo or 2.5L N/A.
It's certainly possible I could run Street just for the experience in Track Battle, but the aero should be a big performance modifier once I get to GLTC spec.

Unfortunately with the GLTC aero, I would not be able to run in the Street Class.
And Club TR is restricted to 1.6L Turbo or 2.5L N/A.
It's certainly possible I could run Street just for the experience in Track Battle, but the aero should be a big performance modifier once I get to GLTC spec.
What are you doing for aero?

CUrrent plan will be a basic front splitter - probably plywood - and 9Lives Racing wing with custom mounts.
If I am feeling fancy, I'll make may own swan mount, but I want to do my own aero analysis before deciding how/where to mount it.

CUrrent plan will be a basic front splitter - probably plywood - and 9Lives Racing wing with custom mounts.
If I am feeling fancy, I'll make may own swan mount, but I want to do my own aero analysis before deciding how/where to mount it.
Nine lives make mounts for us. I sent them a trunk in 2020, and got the first one made that year. So you’re good in that respect. I mounted the proawe quick release kit to the frame rails up front through custom mounts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back