The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

GreenMachineGSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So as my 2g gsx clicked over 211,000 miles today on the stock engine. I decided on my lunch break id do a compression test. I knew it couldnt be to bad since it runs great. But i wanted to know what the health of the old girl was. Never had any issues out of it, i dd it everyday 15 miles to work On 15lbs with a 14b. But heres the result.
1 2 3 4
130-127-130-130
Im pretty impressed with how consistent the numbers are.:D

Attachments

• 20190122_141218.jpg
    20190122_141218.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190122_141413.jpg
    20190122_141413.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190122_141549.jpg
    20190122_141549.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190122_141753.jpg
    20190122_141753.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 86
Alrighty update time, ive been meaning to get on here to update but life has been busy. So in march the tranny started giving me issues in 3rd gear. It would just not stay in so i thought well ill just go find another and build this one on the side. Well then the search began and i found on local for 300$. I was kinda skeptical because 300$ seems a bit cheap to me. But figured well i paid through paypal so if it doesnt work and the guy lied im coverd.
Then one day when i was about to put the trans in i thought, hmm this motor is really nasty and the compression is kinda low. And this is where it went down hill.ROFL
Next thing i know i was ripping the engine out to do a stock rebuilt with arp headstuds and a balance shaft delete. I also installed a act 2100 clutch that i had laying around. The longest part of this was waiting on the machine shop to bore the block and swap the new pistons onto the rods. But i was in a hurry because i had taken over the dining room table Haha. The misses was not happy with me. I told her i dont know why your mad it will only be for a second.. :idontknow:ROFLLuckly she wasnt upset for long. Ha
So after i got the block and the pistons back i did my own balance shaft delete and blueprinted the engine. Then did the assymbely. So by may i had it all put back together and running good. Oh and since i hate dealing with old hoses i went ahead and replaced all of thos also. Its now got 8k miles on it still rocking the 14b. But i want to rebuild the old transmission and get ecmlink befor i install a bigger turbo. But thats about it for now. Not much going on after the rebuild just fixing the little things. Like the oil cap i kept buying oem oil caps but never stopped leaking until i got a evo 9 cap. So thats it for now if i remember anything else ill give a update. See ya!!
Message_1566001435311.jpg

So i havent updated in a while. Ive gotten some things done since and will have a few more updates this week.
First my transmission went out again after fixing the 3/4 shift rail.
20191211_194009_Burst01.jpg
So i bought a rebuild kit from cobra which i was kinda upset about because it did not include the 5th and reverse sychro even though it says it includes all of them. But everything else was right and went together smoothly. Also while i was in there i upgraded the roll pins with the double roll pin from jacks along with shifter mount washers. And luckly between the trans i pulled out of the car and another parts trans i had the perfect shims for the car besides 2. And i rebuilt the trans to these specs so I am hoping it will last awhile with some redline fluid. And a .608 step height on the flywheel.
Input Shaft --> 0.005" - 0.007" PRELOAD
Intermediate Shaft --> 0.007" - 0.009" PRELOAD
Center Differential --> 0.005" - 0.007" PRELOAD
Output Shaft --> 0.003" - 0.005" PRELOAD
Front Differential --> 0.002" - .0067" ENDPLAY
Unfortunately this is the only pic that i took of the trans back together.
20200416_163439.jpg
Its back in the car now so whoohoo Lol. I also bought new seals on the transfer case as well so hopefully no more leaks since the motor and everything else has been rebuilt.
So while everything was apart i bought a new manifold from A1auto. Trust me when i say DO NOT BUY IT. Everything looked great until i flipped it over to see this. Very poor quality control And poor casting.
20200429_201003.jpg

So i sent that one straight back and picked up a dorman. Which i highly recommend because it looks exactly like the oem 2g manifold and with a 15$ carbide burr set can be a nice cheap setup after opening it up to 7cm.
That leads me to my next adventure of porting/ gasket matching the manifold, o2 housing and the wastegate hole on the ebay 7cm hot side. Also opened up the wastegate hole in the o2 flowing out Maybe it will help:idontknow:. Dont worry i took the hot side off befor i did it. ROFL
20200510_015618.jpg
20200509_232036_Burst01.jpg
20200509_232105.jpg
20200509_232119.jpg

After i got all that done i had my old 14b chra machine out for a big 16g since i already had to rebuild it and had the compressor cover from a blown ebay 16g. Also found that the turbine fins was chewed up and luckly @ThunderChild had one for a great deal. So the only thing I had to buy to convert this 14b was the 16g wheel which was from turbo lab of america for 37$.
20200510_003349.jpg

Then i scored ecmlink for 500$ woohoo!! And already had brand new fic 650cc injectors and a new innovate wideband just waiting to be used. So since im pretty much doing full bolt ons at this point i went ahead and ordered a megan racing downpipe from extremepsi to finish up the exhaust to a full megan racing 3". Then i did a little routine maintenance and replaced the fuel filter along with the k&n air filter then a oil change. And cleaned all the ic pipes and core since the 14b was seals were bad. Thats where its stops for now. I still have to install all this and replace all the front ball joints. I will report back with another update soon!!

Last edited:
I finally got everything put back together and running great! Then I got a deal on a ingersoll boost controller to hook up with ecmlink. And installed the innovate wideband that came with the car when I bought it. Best spot i found to install it was in the rear o2 sensor spot, so I could keep the front o2 sensor for easier tuning. And if the wideband sensor ever goes bad then it will still run right. I tried to be cheap for once on a 3 bar map sensoe from ebay and it came back to bite me in the ass but oh well not a big deal.
Since the car now has 225k on the chassis I did not feel comfortable with the ball joints in the front end that has probably never been changed. So I replaced everything with stock oem stuff including sway bar bushings. Only thing not replaced at this point is wheel bearings and struts.
I rebuilt the shifter assembly and also found out where most of the play was coming from. It was so much the bushings as it was the cage pictured here get bent out of shape causing foward and back play. So carefully squish it back closer together that way it will get rid of the play.
IMG_0327_feb6bfb6-1198-46b8-ac5a-fb6e1c64ba99~2.jpeg

I finally got around to getting everything buttoned up and ready to tune. I have been battling hot intake air temps around 100° plus or minus 5°. But eventually i got it straightened out with 0-1 degree of knock and a estimated 41Lbsmin on 11.1 afr. Pulls super hard for my first ever tune.
Now my biggest problem I've had this summer is cooling issues. Especially with the ac on which is very much needed for the family. My coolant temps would reach 215° and higher if sitting in town. And with the ac off it would only cool down to 206°. I decided to buy some better fans I spent literally days trying to decide what to go with. I finally decided to go with a mishimoto high flow fan 10" on the ac condensor which is huge! I had to trim some of center bumper support just to make it fit and placed it on the driver side. Then I went with a 12" for the radiator side and placed it on the passenger side, I'll tell you that was a tight fit as well.
20200718_125647.jpg
It almost hits the j pipe which kind of concerns me because im getting a two row radiator next week, And making a shroud. But I guess I'll cross that road when it gets here Lol. I also thought of doing some ducting work between the radiator and ac condensor. I bought some 1" window seal foam which worked great! Now it when the ac is off it will cool down quickly to 180° and with the ac on it stay at 196°. So I'm super stoked and so is the wife. ROFL
20200717_202047.jpg
Out of no where my rear main seal started leaking really bad. So I ordered a new oem one and going to start on that this week while I wait on the new radiator. I also had to order a new clutch disc because the oil is making the clutch slip from the rear main seal. And I bought two new front wheel bearings since the passenger side is making a horrible grinding noise on decel.
20200718_131254.jpg
But thats it for now I think. Ill post more soon, keep on boosting dsm fam!

I'm back with more updates! so I got the wheel bearings and rear main installed as well as the radiator. And I still have the grinding noise on decel while in gear. I might try to Jack the whole car up and run it in gear to find where its coming from. I know its not the tranny because it made this noise before I rebuilt it. I've been thinking about pulling the transfer case and rebuild it because it sounds like it coming from the front in the middle of the car.
So I got bored of the 16g and and the turbine shaft got bent. So I bought a new 9 blade turbine and a 20g wheel with a tdo6 cover. Then bought a 20g wastegate off of ebay.so far I love it, It doesn't fall off like the 16g did and I haven't noticed much more lag.
20200915_191352.jpg

But that's it for now, I'll be back soon with more updates no worries, LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back