The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

greengoblin's AWD Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin

Supporting Vendor
Mar 10, 2006
McKinney, Texas
INDEX

Post 1: Eagle captured
Post 2: Cage built
Post 3: Fuel cell
Post 5: Hording parts
Post 6: Hording parts
Post 7: Sound deadener removal
Post 8: Sun roof ( roof skin removal)
Post 10: Cleaning of the wells
Post 11 : Racked (a poor mans lift)
Post 12: Undercoating and seam sealer removal
Post 17: Rear knuckles cleaned and coated. 3G UCA beefed up and coated.
Post 18: Start of upper spring hats and reinforcing rear cross member.
Post 20: Rear cross member solid bushing built and installed. Dampener forks coated. Upper hats done.
Post 23: Bearings in SCP front UCA and front LCA
Post 29: K&W coil overs Dg and Robi Spec style
Post 32: Rear UCA and knuckles loaded with bearings
Post 33: Front Cross member bushings greengoblin and black_gst style.
Post 34 Comp Works Rear Trailing arm, lateral arm and toe arm.
Post 35 Front cross member reinforced and powder coated.
Post 36: Front knuckles shaved and coated. Power steering rack rebuild.
Post 37: Stitch welding
Post 38: Rear diff mount welded on to cross member and cross member powder coated.
Post 39: AMB Aero wide body kit arrives
Post 42: Quick look at kit
Post 44: Comp Works splinded rear sway bar
Post 45: Eagle has landed( for now)
Post 46: & 47: Body kit fitting.
Post 48: Body/fiberglass work
Post 64: fiberglass work

History

So after building my GST and making enough power to do burn outs on the highway at 80 I decided AWD was in order. So I sold my GST to my little brother and started this build. It's a 95 Eagle Talon AWD. These are the pics right after picking it up and the start of my journey. My plans have changed many times during the build already and I'm sure more will come. It still will be a mixed use car with a Very heavy road race? hill climb theme. I hope you enjoy reading about what I have done and I'll try to bring the build thread up to where I'm current as quick as I can. So here we go.

Date 11/29/07
red.jpg

red.jpg

Car8.jpg

Car12.jpg

Car5.jpg

Car6.jpg

Car20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While the car was Dennis's I figured I should go ahead and figure out the fuel cell setup. After talking to Dennis and drawing a few different plans this is what we came up with.

Fuelcellinstall014.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Three Door Slosh box. The cell has foam too.

IMG_2732.jpg

Since I want to keep the factory gage cluster we came up with this to mount the fule level senders.
IMG_2734.jpg

I also want to be able to fill the tank up with out opening the hatch. So here is how we did it.
IMG_2739.jpg

Mount for fuel pump. Aeromotive eliminator
IMG_2736.jpg

Fire sheild for cell.

Fuelcellinstall011.jpg

Fuelcellinstall005.jpg

Since I plan on running some for of alchole based fuel I had the cells anodized.
fuelcellano001.jpg

Last edited:
I love this build. I have looked at almost every page of it on mitsu-media I believe and it is phenomenal. Props on building one of the most amazing 2Gs ever! I can't wait to see this thing finished.

I have been hording parts as I go along. When I find a good prices I pick things up here and there.
Here is what I have hidden away.

Since I do powder coating I shot a few parts for fun.

buildparts007.jpg

buildparts006.jpg

I ported my oil filter housing. Hope it helps keep the pressure down.

portandclutch002.jpg

portandclutch007.jpg

portandclutch016.jpg

Picked up this head for a good price. I'm going to have it gone through and put pack togther.
buildparts039.jpg

buildparts042.jpg

Did I mention it is CNC ported.
buildparts041.jpg

Cams
buildparts011.jpg

buildparts013.jpg

God's gift of valve springs for the 4G63.
buildparts021.jpg

Cam gears.
buildparts034.jpg

My favorite bolt. LOL

ARP crank bolt.
ARPCRANK013.jpg

ARPCRANK015.jpg

Jay racing saturn alt relocation kit.

Jayracingalt.jpg

Kiggly 6bolt girdle.
buildparts026.jpg

Oil pan
buildparts048.jpg

buildparts047.jpg

buildparts046.jpg

More of the hording!

buildparts045.jpg

Fuel stuff : Magnus -10 fuel rail, aeromotive AFP and Eliminator Fuel Pump
buildparts023.jpg

JM fab intake
buildparts029.jpg

AEM will be contolling everything this time.
buildparts038.jpg

Need to stop. EVO calipers with JDM galant knuckles.
JDMGalantknuckleforbrembos001.jpg

CDI for COP
buildparts010.jpg

Sparco harnness
buildparts032.jpg

Soild rear diff bushings: Theo
buildparts024.jpg

Scatter sheild
buildparts050.jpg

seats
buildparts005.jpg

buildparts001.jpg

FFtec throttle body.
fftec002.jpg

fftec001.jpg

newstuff048.jpg

I pickde up a pretty rare Taboo Speed Billet clutch fork. This thing is beefy.

BuildLog015.jpg

BuildLog014-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time in 2009

I'm taking the sunroof out of the car and putting a non sun roof skin on. After all we are trying to light this car up right?
I had not seen this documented in many places so I took a lot of pics.

newstuff041.jpg

newstuff040.jpg

newstuff043.jpg

newstuff045.jpg

newstuff046.jpg

I used a Dremmel with a cut off wheel to cut the brazing out. That gave me more control than using my angle grinder. I don't want to cut any deeper or more than needed. Not the best pics. Sorry.

bodywork002.jpg

bodywork005.jpg

bodywork008.jpg

I used a spot weld cutter to get the roof skin off.

bodywork023.jpg

bodywork031.jpg

bodywork028.jpg

bodywork040.jpg

bodywork035.jpg

The roof skin is off! Woot. Now it will sit for a bit. I have to work on getting my powder oven up and running again.

In case you wanted to know what a spot weld cutter looks like.

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

Roof skin

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

No roof skin

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

Last edited:
01-18-2009

Since I sold Austin(northendtrooper) pretty much my complete OEM driver side suspension after his Ken Block drift episode. A little bit of cleaning on the shell was in order. I figured since the the suspension is out of the way why not. I have to say it was a mess. There is quite a bit of work left. My car is now 2lbs lighter. No really that is how much crude I pulled off just one wheel well.

BuildLog010.jpg

BuildLog011.jpg

BuildLog016.jpg

BuildLog020.jpg

BuildLog021.jpg

BuildLog023.jpg

BuildLog025.jpg

Sometime in 2008

So I built a rack a little while ago and finally have the pig up in the air. This will make cleaning and working on the underside so much less of a pain.

Racked006.jpg

For those who want to know how the hell I got it up there.

I used four factory jacks, four jack stands, 24 cinder blocks, 2x6 pieces to spread the load on the bocks and a lot of time. I went up very slowly. I'm gong to build a retaining wall in my basment/very large crawl space so I had the cinder blocks on hand. Here is a pic that kinda shows how I did it. The block in this pics have been moved around already since the car was on the rack. Still you get the idea.
Yes, I'm a bit crazy.

Racked003.jpg

01-20-2009 to 01-23-2009

I'm starting to remove the undercoating. It really wasn't that bad. Seam sealer on the other hand sucks to remove. I found it easiest to take my Halogen lights and place them on the back side of the sheet metal. This really softed up the under coating and it comes right off with a painters tool.

Here are a few pics.

Lights on the back side.
bodywork003.jpg

You can see that the under coating softened up.
bodywork009.jpg

Like buttter
bodywork008-1.jpg

Not even one side and I still need to remove the seam sealer.
bodywork011-1.jpg

Here is what 1hr, angle grinder and twisted wire cup brush can do for you. I have to say this is the only way I could see removing the seam sealer. It worked very well but makes a hell of a mess.

bodywork015-1.jpg

bodywork013.jpg

I now have all the wheel wells pretty much clean and the entire under side. I'm going to have to take the rest of the paint off the seams before I start welding and burn out what is left of the seam sealer. That can wait until right before I start to weld though. I went through one twist wire wheel and one disk. There is almost nothing left of them. I still have to do the inside.:screwy

The pass side rear wheel well
bodywork031.jpg

bodywork032.jpg

Pass side front well
bodywork029.jpg

bodywork030.jpg

I now have all the wheel wells pretty much clean and the entire under side. I'm going to have to take the rest of the paint off the seams before I start welding and burn out what is left of the seam sealer. That can wait until right before I start to weld though. I went through one twist wire wheel and one disk. There is almost nothing left of them. I still have to do the inside.:screwy

So what made you choose AEM for engine management?

Do still have the engine out? I was wondering if u could post a pick of the front suspension crossmember? I can see it in one of your pics but its blocked buy other things. It would help me with my build and thanks. Great build buy the way...

So what made you choose AEM for engine management?
At the time of that post I chose AEM because dsmlink was only on V2 and I was still learning about engine mangament. At this point I dont know if I'll use AEM. I have been looking at Motec al ot latley. So IDK what I will use in the end.

Subbed for awesomeness!! One day ill go crazy like you on the gsx.

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the galant knuckles cost?

Around 500 from mitu-missile(sp) here on tuners. That was several year back though.

Do still have the engine out? I was wondering if u could post a pick of the front suspension crossmember? I can see it in one of your pics but its blocked buy other things. It would help me with my build and thanks. Great build buy the way...

I have TONS of suspension pics that I'll be posting up as I bring this build up to speed on this site. If your in a big hurry you can go here: Goblins AWD project - Mitsu-Media

That is where my most uptodate build thread is.

I love this build. I have looked at almost every page of it on mitsu-media I believe and it is phenomenal. Props on building one of the most amazing 2Gs ever! I can't wait to see this thing finished.

Thanks you sir! Post like this keep me going!

Thanks again everyone,

KEvin

04-18-2009 to 05-28-2009

I did a little bit of prep work on the other rear knuckle. Figured I show some before and after shots.

Here what mine looked like at the start.
realcoatings075.jpg

Here you can see where I removed the casting flash.
realcoatings079.jpg

Next will be media blasting and treating with iron phosphate before I powder coat them.:)

I just finshed up powder coating one of the rear suspension knuckles in black semi gloss to freshen it up. It looks much better I think. Not much of and update but at least I did something to the car. :)

realcoatings072.jpg

I picked up some 3g upper rear control arms today to see how well they will work. They look to be very stout. I'm going to still beef up the ends where the knuckle bolt on since I plan on running sphereical bearing there and that is going to make my peak loads go up.

You can find some of what I've have found out here:3g rear control arms in 2g - Mitsu-Media

Here are a few pic of the rear upper arms. I'm going to blast them and powder coat them. At the moment they are ditry. You can see more in the link above.

BuildLog007.jpg

BuildLog012.jpg

Final had a chance to get the rear upper arms beefed up and coated. Yeah!

upperreararm001.jpg

upperreararm003.jpg

upperreararm004.jpg

upperreararm006.jpg

upperreararm007.jpg

upperreararm011.jpg

upperreararm010.jpg

06-09-2009-07-19-2009

My neighbor and I (mostly Jake) started machining my upper shock mounts. These are based of the units that DG made public. It's really awsome that DG did that and a BIG BIG thanks to Jake for milling them for me. More to come soon.
uppershockmount-1.jpg

uppershockmount1.jpg

uppershockmount1-1.jpg

I removed the stock rear diff bushing out f the rear crossmember a few days ago. Now I hav to decided if i'm going to use the soild ones I have or pick up a set of poly. HHMMM I'll have to tin about it more. I can't wait to get the up graded diff cover that's being made. It's looks sweet. I'll post pics when I get it.

rearcrossmemberdiffbushingremoval.jpg

Let it be known that these bushing are fluid filled with a nasty black goo. You have been warned!
reardiffbushing.jpg

My father and I beefed up the rear crossmember. I'm really happy how it turned out. I should be getting my dampners and will beef up the front crossmember soon. More to come very soon!

Holes cut for the plug welds.

RearCrossmemberfabwork001.jpg

My father welding the plugs.
RearCrossmemberfabwork003.jpg

Plate fully plug weled in place.
RearCrossmemberfabwork005.jpg

RearCrossmemberfabwork008.jpg

Added a gusset here for fun.
RearCrossmemberfabwork006.jpg

We stitched up the sides.
RearCrossmemberfabwork007.jpg

I need to do a bit of clean up then on to coating it.

Kevin

07-28-2009 to 08-07-2009

These came in today. They are the spherical bearings for my upper shock mounts that I'm building off DG plans.

buildlogbearings003.jpg

I should have for more for my front lower control arms tomorrow. It's strange how some times the littlest parts make you the most excited. These bearing are just neat. IMO

Just finished making the soild crossmember bushings. I hope to install them and finish my upper shock plates tomorrow. I also managed to get my dampner forks blasted and coated today too. Slowly but surely as they say.....

Dampnerfork2-1.jpg

Dampnerfork.jpg

SoildCrossmemberbushings1.jpg

SoildCrossmemberbushings.jpg

SoildCrossmemberbushings2.jpg

Here are the installed pics.

solidcrossmemberbushings003.jpg

solidcrossmemberbushings004.jpg

solidcrossmemberbushings005.jpg

solidcrossmemberbushings006.jpg

We also finished up my upper shock mounting plates!!!!
Now the question is do I hard anodize them or shoot them in powder. If do powder them what color? Hmmm
solidcrossmemberbushings008.jpg

solidcrossmemberbushings009.jpg

Last edited:
08-27-2009 to 09-17-2009

My brother just sent me a pic of my front lower lateral arm (lower control arm) with the new spherical bearings installed. You can also see the standoffs in the pic too. I decided to do this after reading DG's website info.

Far North Racing - The Car - Modified A-Arm and Other Stuff

I don't normally post crappy cell pics but this is one of those thing I'm excited about. Can't wait for them to get to me so I can really look them over.

If you really want to learn about our suspension then do yourself a favor and check it out.

Far North Racing - Home

Enjoy the crappy pic. I'll post good ones when I have the arms in my hands.
loadedarms.jpg

Had some free time so I made marks on my upper control arms to make changing the camber a bit easier. I got this idea off dsmtuners. I just used a scribe, t-square and patient. I'm happy with how it turned out. The marks are in 8th inch increments. I will most likely put a line through the center plan of the hole on the upper washer too as an alignment mark.

realcoatings125-1.jpg

realcoatings126-1.jpg

Here a up close look at my front lower lateral arms loaded up with the spherical bearings and standoffs. good stuff!

buildlogbearings002.jpg

Here you can see the groove I had cut for the retaining clips

buildlogbearings003-1.jpg

buildlogbearings004.jpg

buildlogbearings005.jpg

The SPC front upper control arms have crappy vulcanized rubber bushings in them that are not going to cut it. So I went ahead and load the inboard pickups with spherical bearings. To do this I had sleeves built for the bearings and cut grooves for the retaining ring. The circle clips had to have a bit of the edge ground down where the pliers engage them but the dremel made short work of that,

They turned out killer! Here is a peek.

upperarmsMazda5005.jpg

upperarmsMazda5.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back