The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Greddy type s vs NGR type s BOV review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I found my Greddy type s had a diaphragm leak so I went and bought a new NGR unit with an extra diaphragm for my Greddy and I did the single spring mod on the NGR so as it was open I thought I would review the parts of both and compare them!

First we have the genuine Greddy type s bov main cast body and diaphragm center cartridge,

This pic shows the casing and inside it was nice and alot was smoothed away to help with flow and make sure there was not any way of air being blocked coming out

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This pic shows the central shaft it goes through and I found mine to be a bit dry so I added some grease and it now seems alot better so could slow down the air leak that this is so common for having on the shaft. while on the same part the center cartridge seems well built and its all smoothed edges on the top and the pieces that hold the diaphragm in its place.

Now we move on to the NGR type s bov it would not let me upload the cast body but where you see the smoothed parts in the genuine type s its the complete opposite in the NGR and it is not smoothed at all!!!

This pic shows the center cartridge and remember this is brand new! it already has a crack in it where the shaft runs through! but I cannot send it back as im not allowed to open it as it voids warranty (so its upto you if you open yours, I take no responsibility for loss of warranty) Ive not had any issues with this since its been in the car so I will keep it until something goes wrong like the shaft gets eaten up by gauging it or something, also the other items holding the diaphragm together are not smoothed and have little rough edges on it so it could aid in the ripping of the diaphragm over time!

NOW the greddy is on the left on all these pics following NGR on the right

notice the extra lip on the Greddy hat and the extra cover for the seal of the diaphragm! when this seals the hat sits flush with the casing where the NGR does not and you have a very small gap on the NGR (ive been told this still seals it and its a bit better at sealing then the
Greddy) mine does seem fine so far so its just a design change thats all! I also think if its not touching I guess it could lead to the bolt holes to crack the area around it as its not got any surface/support underneath but that might not be the case.

Also the screw on the Greddy is rounded on the bottom and the NGR is not so its not going to really affect the compression on the spring top but it still could have been smoothed to help the spring top make better contact with the bolt.

NOW to the springs! again Greddy on left and the NGR on the right

not really alot of info hear as i dont have a spring compression tool to measure spring rates etc so i will do just visual reviews!

the Greddy is shorter and thinner then the NGR which is taller and thicker and I dont know why that is nor could I really feel any difference in my hand. but as its just visual this might not be any help but its there for you to look at

final outcome was that the NGR had a low build quality and felt like a possible knockoff bov's from ebay or elsewhere but with there diaphragm so it was disappointing about the quality. but it works none the less

after my review all went back together like normal and the NGR seems to work fine so im just going to keep an eye on that crack over the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got a pm from a member on here that im bashing this company for there item and im not NOR am I saying don't buy them either, im adding these pictures to show why I think there product is low quality in my personal opinion!

He had a few concerns with my review as to being false and im misleading people on there product! THIS IS NOT THE CASE im just stating my own view on what I think of the product only!

This pic shows my NEW casting which you can see its clearly not NEW but used and just cleaned up and not even at a good job at that! every other pic ive seen of these its been super clean unlike mine!

In these pics I'm showing you the sharp edges on the items I was describing on the first part of the review, as you can see its not very clean and smooth UNLIKE the Greddy (sorry no pics) which is very smooth and well finished. These are the concerns I have as there pretty sharp and could possibly cut into the diaphragm COULD being it might not but the risk is there, I can scrape my nail on it and pull some off so its clearly to sharp, now a quick sand and file would work but it should not have been sent out like this

And that hair line crack in the first part apparently is normal so ive been told??? NO crack is normal and its clearly too tight for the copper sleeve and needs to be amended.

It does what it is ment to do and works fine, mine could be different to the next one made so if your looking for a new type s bov then I do suggest getting it for the performance as it still works fine and ive not had any running issues with it so far, and its good but I was expecting a bit more quality for the price im paying

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back