The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G greddy profec boost controller install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit___01

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2022
Murphysboro, Illinois
So I'm installing my new turbo soon (68hta v3 from forced performance, with the wastegate off the O2 housing), I'm currently removing everything I need to remove to get them out of the way so I can get to the old turbo, and I'm curious.

Because I'm obviously deleting the bcs restrictor, can I plug my boost controller into the hole the bcs restrictor plugs into on my intake? Or does it need to be somewhere else? It's an electronic boost controller and to be more specific it's a greddy profec.

I kind of understand what youre asking,

Your boost controller goes from the boost line source on the cold side piping to the wastegate actuator.

You will need to cap the vacuum port on the intake
Ok, so cap the intake vacuum line port, got it

However you just lost me at cold side piping to the wastegate actuator

I'm gonna be running a TiAL and it's going to hooked into the ic pipe for vacuum, would that be what I tee the bc into?

If that's what you referring to then I apologize for the confusion, it's late here and I'm tired 🤣

I can’t speak on specifics of the Greddy Profec as I’ve never used one. Unless your profile isn’t up to date installing the 68hta v3 and profec with no means of tuning the car is pretty much pointless. With ECMlink or ECUflash or any of the standalones out there the boost can be controlled with the ECU using the same type of solenoid electronic controller’s like the Greddy Profec and Apex’i avcr use (I believe they utilize the Mac solenoid). In situations where you’re using the ECU to control boost the solenoid does use the cars factory wiring if desired and all your boost settings are controlled via your laptop, plus it gives you the option of things like boost by gear these external controllers sometimes offered but never executed well.

I’m not usually one to say this, but my advice is sell the Profec to some Nissan guy on eBay for $250+, buy a Mac solenoid for $45, and let the ECU control it if you’re set on electronic boost control assuming you’ve obtained something of the sort being you’re installing the 68hta. Much simpler to install, much simpler to use, and gives you overall much better control. I know your question was in regards to the Greddy Profec hence why I hate giving that answer, but being your new to it that will give you much less headache in the long run.

I can’t speak on specifics of the Greddy Profec as I’ve never used one. Unless your profile isn’t up to date installing the 68hta v3 and profec with no means of tuning the car is pretty much pointless. With ECMlink or ECUflash or any of the standalones out there the boost can be controlled with the ECU using the same type of solenoid electronic controller’s like the Greddy Profec and Apex’i avcr use (I believe they utilize the Mac solenoid). In situations where you’re using the ECU to control boost the solenoid does use the cars factory wiring if desired and all your boost settings are controlled via your laptop, plus it gives you the option of things like boost by gear these external controllers sometimes offered but never executed well.

I’m not usually one to say this, but my advice is sell the Profec to some Nissan guy on eBay for $250+, buy a Mac solenoid for $45, and let the ECU control it if you’re set on electronic boost control assuming you’ve obtained something of the sort being you’re installing the 68hta. Much simpler to install, much simpler to use, and gives you overall much better control. I know your question was in regards to the Greddy Profec hence why I hate giving that answer, but being your new to it that will give you much less headache in the long run.
I have ECMLink v3 for tuning and it's currently installed

I haven't updated my cars profile yet as I've been busy pulling parts that I'm replacing

I was going to use the profec to up or lower my boost on the fly if or when I need to, I wasn't planning to use the ECU to control boost

I haven't updated my cars profile yet as I've been busy pulling parts that I'm replacing

I was going to use the profec to up or lower my boost on the fly if or when I need to, I wasn't planning to use the ECU to control boost
As long as you’ve done your research and you know that’s what you want there’s no harm in that. For some making changes on the fly with a laptop is no big deal, which really it’s not, but I’m with you there it’s nice to click a button and be done opposed to carrying around a lap top at all times, getting it out and booting it up, etc. When I was still on a “big turbo” I considered the AEM tru boost for this reason as ECMlink’s flex fuel capabilities don’t include changing boost per ethanol content, would’ve made it so a click of a button I would’ve been on my “pump gas boost setting”, though I passed as the cost of the Tru boost by itself with the price ECMlink was bringing used I could simply sell ECMlink and buy an ECU that has that capability built in for the difference the AEM tru boost costs. I’ve only ever played with the Apex’i AVCR and it’s a royal pain in the ass, while I’ve never messed with a Greddy Profec I’ve heard the same in regards to it so that’s the only reason I made that suggestion, but again it seems you’ve done your research and something along the lines of the Greddy might better fit what you’re trying to do

I can't say I've ever come across a situation where I needed to turn the boost up or down on the fly. Make your life easier and just go with an ingersol-rand solenoid.

That's why I have a "Scramble" button on my steering wheel, hooked up to a Mac valve. I have never had to use mine either but it is either wastegate boost or ALL OF THE BOOST! :cool:

If you google "boost controller diagram" you will see a better description of what im talking about

Basically they wastegate needs to receive a certain psi before it opens the wastegate to reduce boost pressure.

so basically what I gathered from searching that, it can be any vacuum point before the throttle body

the only one I will have is the point where my wastegate is hooked up to my j-pipe right off the turbo, so I'm guessing that would be an ideal spot to tap in, which was what I had originally thought you meant LOL

so basically what I gathered from searching that, it can be any vacuum point before the throttle body

the only one I will have is the point where my wastegate is hooked up to my j-pipe right off the turbo, so I'm guessing that would be an ideal spot to tap in, which was what I had originally thought you meant LOL

It can be before or after the throttle body. The boost line from the intake manifold to the blow off valve equalizes the pressures before and after the throttle body closes

Usually for the sensors with wiring it is much easier to have them at the back of the engine bay at the fuel pressure regulator so you can run just a single vacuum hose across the engine bay to the wastegate.

If you put the solenoid up by the turbo you would have to run a bunch of wires from the battery to the front of the engine bay, then run wires from the solenoid to the back of the motor and back into the passengers compartment

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back