The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

greddy or hks bov, which is louder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinh766

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2003
SoCal - ATL - PHX, California
i know this is a non performance subject, that's why i put it in the "non-performance" section. well anyways, i really like the sound of the hks vented, and i am running the greddy type S vented right now, and yes i do have a gm maf w/ translator in a blow-thru set-up, so don't bash me. what my question is, how much louder is the hks compared to the greddy. like how many times louder. and can you guys tell me which one you like better? thanks.

I've had both installed in my car, and can say that the HKS is a bit louder than Greddy's BOV. But not exactly in the way you think or might like, HKS's sounded a bit more like a seal being beaten to death, while the Type-S is more of a high-pitched electronic blow-off sound. I think it was Street..or maybe import tuner magazine, or maybe even Turbo mag that called HKS the "catcall" of all BOV's, and personally I agree with them.

Oh..on a somewhat related note, a week after installed HKS's BOV on my car, the CEL came on, heh. Was told it was the TPS and because HKS doesn't have any right to be putting their BOV's near our cars. Anyways! Done with today's rant. Good luck.

4SpeedGSTee said:
I've had both installed in my car, and can say that the HKS is a bit louder than Greddy's BOV. But not exactly in the way you think or might like, HKS's sounded a bit more like a seal being beaten to death, while the Type-S is more of a high-pitched electronic blow-off sound. I think it was Street..or maybe import tuner magazine, or maybe even Turbo mag that called HKS the "catcall" of all BOV's, and personally I agree with them.

Oh..on a somewhat related note, a week after installed HKS's BOV on my car, the CEL came on, heh. Was told it was the TPS and because HKS doesn't have any right to be putting their BOV's near our cars. Anyways! Done with today's rant. Good luck.

Would you happen to know how the Greddy Type-R compares to their S-Type sound wise? I'm looking at getting on of those... Thanks :)

On the type-R's? Sorry, no dice..I've never seen someone with 'em. But if you find out how it performs/sounds/etc, let us know!

i think the type r was made for people running big turbos and a lot of boost..

ive had both.. the hks ssqv and greddy type s.. both at one time or the other beign vented.. the hks is louder..

as the for the tps.. yes its wierd.. ive had it too. as wel as someone else i know.. but only wen being vented.. recirculate and everything is koo..

id go wit either hks or type s. SEARCH.. thers a lot of bov choice threads.. and a lot of which is louder threads..

TURBO-XS type RFL(Real F*^ing Loud), honesly has to be the loudest and scariest blow off valve i have ever heard. people complain about it not holding enough boost but thats because they dont have enough spacers in it, hell it sez on their website it can hold up to 32 psi

boostdevil said:
TURBO-XS type RFL(Real F*^ing Loud), honesly has to be the loudest and scariest blow off valve i have ever heard. people complain about it not holding enough boost but thats because they dont have enough spacers in it, hell it sez on their website it can hold up to 32 psi

So you take a commercial website's word over someone's non-paid opinion? :rolleyes:

Turbo XS has made nothing but hit or miss blow off valves that leak due to a piss-poor design.

dude piss off i think you have tried to argue with me before over blow off valves, im not just believing what they say on their website, i run a rfl on my car and it holds boost fine, no leaking, maybe some due, but thats probably because they are not set up properly

cait sith said:
So you take a commercial website's word over someone's non-paid opinion? :rolleyes:

Turbo XS has made nothing but hit or miss blow off valves that leak due to a piss-poor design.

yea.. i hear a fair amount of negatives and leaking problems.. i thinkt hats why a majority of dsm owners use greddy type s/hks ssqv/1g crushed.. or tial.. the turbo xs is just really loud.. i dont like how it sounds like just a big gush of air.. like a bus.. not to my liking.. but just imo..

im sure the turboxs valves are ok.. but i havnt seen a lot of dsms running big turbos and lots of boost running them..

I had the hks ssqv on my car and now I have the greddy type s so I will put my input in on this one. The hks when vented is just stupid loud. It just screams attention, drive through a parking lot with car people in it and blow off and everyone's neck snaps, I kid you not. it is considerably louder than the greddy vented or recirculated. But I feel that the hks attracts to much attention. And from the wrong people, THE COPS, their necks snap just like the ricers but instead of envy they have for you its a big dollar sign in their eye cause they are about to give your ass a ticket. So watch yourself if you do decide to get an hks ssqv. And to think I still had the stock intercooler piping with hard pipes it would be even more obscene.

I have the old stlye HKS racing BOV, and it holds 25psi right now, and sounds good. I have a gm mass so I can vent, I assume since your asking about loadness you are going to vent and run like shit...

are you guys all recirclating the BOVs or venting them. I know theres lots of prob with venting and junk. but if u buy an intake pipe it will sound louder than stock right?

the 1g bov sound awesome in car's other than DSM's, a guy i know has one on his SRT-4 and it sounds incredible, i'll try and get some sound clips

The HKS SSQ is definitely louder than the Greddy-S. The HKS screams like a banshee even recirculated with the recirc kit. Freaked the hell out of a kid with a lowered Camry with coffee can exhaust the other day as I passed him on the highway. Shifted from 4th to 5th right by his window.

eclipse90gsxt said:
I have the old stlye HKS racing BOV, and it holds 25psi right now, and sounds good. I have a gm mass so I can vent, I assume since your asking about loadness you are going to vent and run like shit...

im actually running a gm maf and trans. in blow thru setup.

I have Hks on my car and yes it's def loud. Now there is a couple different inserts u can put in there. The purple one ( seal beater sound) then there is the silver one that i have its nice and loud still but not high pitched. Hks is a pull design no push like others. If I were u go with hks greddy or tial. They wont leak. Now for The RFL it stands for really ####in lame. Doesnt hold boost the design of it sucks with little screws that strip and doesnt hold together. Now if you are a whimp and like to only run 16 or 18lbs of boost im sure u will be fine but heres another thing Compressor surge it isnt good and ive heard TURBO XS ####ing up pretty bad on that. Go with Two greddy's or HKS's or a tial if you are like me and run over 25lbs on a big turbo other wise one should hold u man.

I've been through three diffrent BOV, HKS, Blitz, Greddy.

1. HKS - loudest since its got a high fq. noise and can be heard about block away under full boost and with the right back screw setting.

2. Blitz - ITs the deepest blow valve I have heard. its like the stock 1gen x 3 and low fq. noise.

3. Greddy - Its a bit louder then Blitz higher fq noise. In not sure if they have change the design, but i bought one in 99 and the bov leaked the seals blew on it.

HKS>Blitz>Greddy

Also for the T-RX bovs.. I think its not worth the time to install washers everytime you want to adjust your boost. Also a few people have told me my HKS sounds louder then any RFL.. its about placement and the adjustment.. Also have you heard a HKS with rec- fitting and vented? god its soo hott.. the perfect sound to me..

has anyone heard the greddy type-h BOV... i was told that with a decent amount of boost it could be around 110 decibel's. does it sound like a type-s on steriods? or somethin else?

this is an old post, im the thread starter, so just letting you know, i went w/ the hks SSQV and i vent it, cuz i have the GM Maf in blow-thru setup. as for loudness, the HKS is much louder then the GREddy typeS. like posted about, the blitz sounds like the 1g's but 3x louder. well the HKS sounds like 2 stages. at first, it blows off like the greddy, then shifts into the blitz's mode. but when ur boosting and u let off half throttle, then it will sound like a semi greddy squeel. but when u boost 20psi and u fully let off, gosh daym, it makes me enjoey driving a turbo ever more. and yeah, u can snap ppl's necks w/ the attention from the HKS. there's times that i wish it wasn't so loud, when im trying to pick up a good race or something :) knoww hat i mean? just my .02

the greddy type-r is for bigger turbo's but they came out with the rs that is between the s and r. There is a thread with a video on here somewhere, but i don't feel like finding it. I like the way it sounds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back