The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

greddy intercooler question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotEclipseD

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
San Jose/Bay Area, California
well..i went to my cousins house to check out the intercooler im goin to buy..i jes have some question to make sure of some stuff...
1. are the fins on the intercooler surpose to be so flexible and fragile..(i touched it and it kinda bent)
2. are u surpose to be able to kinda, sorta see through the intercooler..jes slightly?

My fins on my Greddy are very bendable. Not so sure about with the naked hand, but with a screwdriver, they bend really easy.

bent fins on an IC is normal... just make sure the core isn't punctured

Originally posted by gotEclipseD
yea..my cousin is sellin me a fmic for $700 brand new...he is hookin me up since he didnt want to turbo his gs. the turbo for the 420a is for sale too...

Is your cousin still selling the turbo kit?

If he is e-mail at [email protected]

Yes, you should be able to see thru the I/C. The air needs to go thru to cool down the air from turbo, and that's why there's space between the fins.

I bent the fins on the day i got my fmic, i was just playing wit it... hate bending them back from all the rocks tho...

I have this installed on my car to prevent the Greddy fins from bending.

Don't mind the bottle of NAAWWSS it was put there by some photo editing by a friend.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is that a do-it-yourself grill from home depot?

nice! :D

Yeah the greddy fmic is clearly visible if you like stick a flashlight up against it its clearly seen from the back of the intercooler, yeah fins bend like no other i try to keep myself from other people on the freeway, and ive hit some monstrous bugs that bend them, ive got a soft brush that takes all those out though, it doesent bend the fins either, and it routes back to the stock fmic positionl.....

I bought this chicken wire/mess thing from home depot... it was PITA to find it tho... i'm only using it instead of the dirt cover thing in the wheel well... so i can get air to my brakes...

Originally posted by KenTSIII
Greddy FMICs are extremely fragile!!!

I notice you didn't say they don't work well.

I guess nobody can really say what IC works
better until they are tested... but how do you
test an intercooler, besides on the track?:confused:

He never asked how they work... just if the bent fins & being able to see through them was normal. I personally think that the greddy FMICs are undersized & horribly over rated due to the "greddy" name. The core is too thin & the piping is too small & too long. And nobody that's fast runs one... for a reason.

wow..thanx a lot guys...im am not considering gettin a greddy intercooler anymore. im actually going for my first choice. Apexi Gt intercooler. its looks great and iv heard its does very well in performance...

Originally posted by KenTSIII
He never asked how they work... just if the bent fins & being able to see through them was normal. I personally think that the greddy FMICs are undersized & horribly over rated due to the "greddy" name. The core is too thin & the piping is too small & too long. And nobody that's fast runs one... for a reason.

Depends on your definition of "FAST" Nobody who is "fast" runs a 20G turbo, either. Whatever. Penty of people have run deep into the 11s with the Big Greddy intercooler. It works.

Unless you have some numbers to back up your claims, you should probably stop posting in threads like this. Your kind of biased.

Greddy cores might bend fins easily and be thinner, but how do you know the thin fins don't result in more efficient cooling? You DON'T know, so stop casting aspersions.

When are DSM vendors going to learn that talking negative about other products just makes them look bad? I'm a Forced Performance customer, and I really like the turbo they made for me. However, when they started posting crap about AGP, it really annoyed me.

As for that review of the Greddy on dsmreviews.com... was it done by a 12 year old? :rolleyes:

Depends on your definition of "FAST" Nobody who is "fast" runs a 20G turbo, either. Whatever. Penty of people have run deep into the 11s with the Big Greddy intercooler. It works.

Unless you have some numbers to back up your claims, you should probably stop posting in threads like this. Your kind of biased.

Greddy cores might bend fins easily and be thinner, but how do you know the thin fins don't result in more efficient cooling? You DON'T know, so stop casting aspersions.

When are DSM vendors going to learn that talking negative about other products just makes them look bad? I'm a Forced Performance customer, and I really like the turbo they made for me. However, when they started posting crap about AGP, it really annoyed me.

As for that review of the Greddy on dsmreviews.com... was it done by a 12 year old? :rolleyes:

Thanks for this post, as I really agree with it :thumb: I myself am going for the Greddy Intercooler, http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16225&cat=409&page=1 and I found it really hard to try and find an unbiased opinion on it, and people were even, "why do you want that one" well here goes my explanation for it:

Back when i first got my car, i had NO idea i had a "4g63t" LOL. So i did my research and i happend to "hear that Greddy made some pretty good exhaust systems, they were street legal, and they had a deep sound to them." So I did some research and decided to give it a try. It was my first modification for my car and man do I love it. I ended up getting the SP Full Cat Back System and loved it ever since. I was one satisified customer. Then I found out they made Turbo kits and accessories as well!! So from there I decided to get their turbo kit and various other modifications based soley on my experience from Greddy.

Heck, when my Greddy exhaust didn't come with that 'cool' Greddy badge i called Greddy and they hooked it up free:) so again I was a satisified customer. So when finally I was looking into intercoolers I asked here where I can get a Greddy IC and people were like, "Greddy sucks blah blah" and I wondered why?? I asked people why they didnt like it and the main reason was price. I couldnt get no concrete info on it's performance. The closest I got was, "x IC does it better" and I would ask why and how, and no answer. So again to the original poster I say to you: I MYSELF have had NO problems with the Greddy Products I own which are:

Greddy TDO5H/18g Turbo upgrade kit
Greddy Upper IC pipes
Greddy Autotimer
Greddy SP Full Catback Exhaust System
and my nifty Greddy Badge LOL<--a lil joke

Are there going to be people that are "faster" than me? Of course, in this hobby, there is ALWAYS someone faster than you. Do they have "better" setups than me?? MAYBE. That depends on who is looking and if you care what "other" people think. Me, I'm happy with the route I'm going regardless if people think my setup stinks, or if they think they are "faster" and "better", that really come down to the eye of the beholder.

So IMO I would recommend their Intercooler based on MY experience with their products. They were easy to install, have not messed up on me and I, to this day enjoy them. I cant wait to get my intercooler real soon. I have hit some bumps that are preventing me from picking it up namely I need new motor mounts and new axles.

Again, thank you Maine for your post, I totally agree with your statement:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back