The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Greddy EGT gauge problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAWD

Retired
Supporting VIP
Jun 13, 2002
Hillsborough, North_Carolina
Okay, I know for a fact on my ride home from work that my EGT gauge was acting as it should.
When I started the car up to go bi*** at my wireless provider, I noticed the needle wasn't moving. I paid little attention, and assumed there was a wiring issue, and the probe harness had come loose. When I got to a lit area, I parked and took a closer look. I found that the needle, with power on, was sitting on the wrong side of the needle stop pin (sorry, I don't know what it would be called). When power is disconnected, the needle moves to a position near 5 o'clock (assuming the word "Greddy" is horizontal), and when power is reapplied, the needle pins itself against the back side of the needle stop.
Any ideas as to the problem? No wiring was loose or had changed since yesterday.

Well, in a drunken stupor...I think I fixed it. I was holding it, wishing it would fix itself...inadvertantly dropped it, caught it and the shock brought the needle around to 300c. :D :D

I'll plug it back in tommorrow.

Moving my n00bish thread to General.

Resurrecting for advice. Turns out the gauge maxes itself out when the car cuts off (whether by TT of manually). Ideas as to the problem? Busted gauge? :(

I double checked all connections a couple of minutes ago. All are secure and tapped correctly.

Drink some more and take another whack at it. So-to-speak.

Do they continue to read when the engine's shut off? I'd guess so, since it's a thermocouple driving the needle. If so, I wonder if heatsoak put enough into it to make the rack inside the gauge go so far that it jumped a tooth on the needle drive pinion.

Crank up Greddy on the phone, I'd about bet they'd send you a replacement.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back