The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Got the Carbon fiber bug!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spector5

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 31, 2011
holland, Michigan
Well A friend and I have had some success working with fiberglass. He works on expensive race boats and I've done some misc. work with it.

So Today we ordered all the stuff to start making some carbon fiber parts. Obviously nothing on a big scale, but just to test the waters and see what comes of it.

We may start with some interior pieces. However, I would really like to make more advance things such as valve covers, then tackle a hood. Seeing how the 1GA guys including myself are limited on CB hoods:p.

^ Does that hood have the pop-ups eliminated? That's be pretty cool for those who have fixed headlights on their 1ga.

I've never been too excited about the idea of a CF valve cover though. If cast aluminum can barely handle it, I can't imagine bonded layers of fiberglass and CF lasting long either.

The center console looks like a great idea.

I may try making some if the interior trim (a-pillar)just for the pure practice and I don't feel like digging through junk yards for it all.

I think the center console is a great idea, maybe even a step further do all three of those pieces that go from center console up to gauges.... I've always wanted to do that!

I agree that a carbon fiber valve cover may not be a very good piece, instead maybe make a spark plug cover. I don't think a cf valve cover would last as long.

Doing different variations of interior pieces would be cool. I have done different pieces as well, from pillars-center console pieces. Just take your time when making the molds and it will turn out.

I had the carbon bug a while back. Fixed the pitting in the resin of the plug cover since that was taken. Fun project though. Did a cup holder cover as well.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I honestly dont remember. I did that stuff years ago.

We got it all pretty dirt cheap through my friends custom boat racing shop.

We priced it out through other company's and it was just gets outrageous.

We got everything for about $900, but it was like a 1500 value. If I remember after breaking it down we payed about 20-22 a yard just for the carbon fiber itself and got about 200, plus other materials for the bonding process and the whole shibang.

I'm going to try making some pieces using aluminum as the mold. Is caranuba based wax and PVA good enough to make it easy to release afterwards?

I'd be down for one of those pop-up elim hoods.

I want to buy in the next 40 days, so please let me know if it can happen.

For what it's worth, I did a test piece using only a single coat of caranuba based car wax, and that was enough to easily release the part from the mold.

Make the 1ga head light pop up covers. And a 1ga hood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back