The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Got Spark, Got Fuel, Car Cranks But doesnt start... it did an hour ago... HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboFritz

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2010
Kewaskum, Wisconsin
Ok so i have had my car running for a few weeks now, no real problems running, no knock during pulls and always started with ease!!!

2G AWD with V3
7 bolt motor with 1G CAS and also running SD
Cars just cleaned up, no major harness cutting or parts mangling.
Only thing i have done to the harness is SD splicing in, 1G CAS wiring, and i had to solder up some wires by the ecu when i pulled the Apexi Neo out.
Once again car was running good for while!

Well the other night i pulled my car in the shop after sitting for a few days and well, it started great and pulled right in. All i was doing was interior work, carpet, panels, center counsel, and well after the night was about done i figured i would put it back outside... Well it wouldnt start anymore, figured it was just becuase the interior lights were on for a few hours and the battery was just to weak (it was cranking slow and i drained it out to dead pretty good trying to start it). Welll i decided to to throw it on a charge and come move it the next day. Guess what.... still nothing!!! It just cranks and cranks and it smells like fuel hard!!

Well i went into trouble shoot mode in anger! Ok at first i thought i had no spark because the fuel smell, well i pulled it all and checked it, i got spark. Then i figured it may be the CAS, so i pulled it and spun it with the plugs takin out and grounded. Guess what they all hit in intervals and the injectors were cracking away on the revolution.

Basically at this point i know my engine timing is right, have spark, have fuel, i have checked all my V3 setting with previous logs, config all matches. I need more ideas on whats going on!!

All i got is that maybe V3 went goofy with the battery dieing and even tho the settings display right i think its dumping fuel hard.I mean with around 5 seconds of cranking it reacks of gas around the car.

thanks for your time.

Also updates, i have tried a stock coil, no change. I checked to fuel pressure regulator for leaks... non. and At WOT, which should cut fuel, i will get a pop out the exhaust when i feather the throttle on and off WOT. So i know i have fuel and spark, just not the right mixture. have also tried changing settings on link for fuel, no luck either which way i went.

i dont know, it may be a stupid question but have you checked all the fuel lines and fuel pump. if it smells like gas bad inside the care maybe the fuel pump or fuel lines are messed up. also are the injectors tight, i once had an issue where the car would int start and the injectors spat fuel everywhere, the o rings had just poped out from being to loose. if its not a hardware fuel problem then it could be the v3 you have on the car. is there a way you can take the v3 out of the equation and run the car on just the ecu. if you can then that would at least eliminate the v3 from the problems if it runs right. or maybe barrow a buddy's v3? just trying to help, i know how it is when your car dont work right and your in uber mad trouble shooting mode.

No fuel leaks, its making it to the injectors and into the cylinders just fine. and im thinking of swapping ecus one of these days.

ya, do that. its handy to have another siting around. but it seems to me that the ecu link v3 wouldn't just poop out all of the sudden like it seems like it has. have you tried to go back to a stock setting, maybe the maps got messed up and you didn't notice. keep us up to date man, good luck

10 year old thread or not, I'm having the EXACT same issue on a '96 Civic EK4 1.6 I recently bought. Piece of shit car I thought it'd be half as nice as a DSM but nope, Hondas are definitely worse than our junk. Anyway the original poster posted on November 23rd, and it's Nov 25th now so it must be something related to ambient temp I reckon. Too bad he was last online 2015... We'll never know how he fixed it, if he did... :idontknow:

10 year old thread or not, I'm having the EXACT same issue on a '96 Civic EK4 1.6 I recently bought. Piece of shit car I thought it'd be half as nice as a DSM but nope, Hondas are definitely worse than our junk.
swap in a k20/k24 engine. put a nice turbo setup on it.
on e85, you can get 600-650hp on a stock k24a2 (tsx) bottom end

even NA (k20a2 or k20z1 head on tsx bottom) with the right cams, intake, race header, 3" exhaust, RBC intake manifold, RDX injectors and a good tune, will usually put down around 280-290hp.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:

even NA (k20a2 or k20z1 head on tsx bottom) with the right cams, intake, race header, 3" exhaust, RBC intake manifold, RDX injectors and a good tune, will usually put down around 280-290hp.

T

The best answer of all time LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back