The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Got in a accident and need some help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver bullit

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2006
martinsburg, West_Virginia
I was pulling up to the light at sheetz and their was a 06 Ford Freestyle in front. While stoped at the light he threw the Suv in reverse and parked it on the hood of my Talon. :mad: He addmitted fault and i called the cops after he bribed me not to report it because it was a rental from hertz and did not have optional insurance. After exchange of info i am stumpt on what to do. He offered not to report it and he would pay for a new hood.

I dont know what to do any info with similar experience or thoughts on what to do is appreciated.

1. Should i sue him + Hertz for letting him not drive with out insurance for the Ford?
2. Report it to insurance?
3. Should i get a price for a hood and to install and bill him to pay or else i will report the accident?

What would you think is a resonable price to replace the hood and paint it silver and install it on the car?

When people sue for something like this I feel it is unneeded, It was an accident after all, let him pay for it and move on.

I wouldnt report it to insurance unless totally necessary (sp?) for the maybe raising of prices.

I would do that and see how he reacts, if not a good reaction go to option 2

When dealing with something like this, your safest route would be to report it. Because basiclly all you have is his word that he is going to pay, and well, thats just not good enough if you were ever to take him to court. For all the judge would know you told him not to worry about it and that was it.

If you're not going to report it to the insurance I would at least have him write it on paper stating that he will pay for the new hood and the paint, have him sign it, and have a friend of YOURS be there and sign it as well as a "witness". That way if he tries to stiff you, you have something in writing signed by him you could use in court. If he is willing to sign that, thats how I would handle it. But if he wont, beware because his intentions was probablly to stiff you anyway.

The cop said to my in front of him that if he trys to stiff me or does not pay or settle with/without insurance they will issue a search warrant. What is a price to start at for the hood?

Id keep it under the table and ask for cash...

My friend got hit from behind and the guy didnt have insurance. The guy wrote him a $500 dollar check on the spot and the thing is....my friends bumper "damage" was rubbed off. For you, Id go around and get an average on hoods, then bump it up a bit. But hey...your listening to a 17 year old right now...so I dont know the "RIGHT" thing to do. Just an idea.

TooFastTooG said:
When dealing with something like this, your safest route would be to report it. Because basiclly all you have is his word that he is going to pay, and well, thats just not good enough if you were ever to take him to court. For all the judge would know you told him not to worry about it and that was it.

I agree. When my sister first started driving, she got into an accident in a parking lot. Some lady backed up into her driver's side door or something. According to my sister, the lady appeared to be nice and honest, and was extremely apologetic also. She pleaded with my sister not to call the police or report it, but said that she would pay for the damage. The nice lady even gave my sister her name, phone number, and address. My sister came home and told my parents, and they were furious. They call the lady, no answer. They drive to the address and knock on the door, no answer. They didn't do this once or twice, but EVERY DAY for 2 weeks. Needless to say, the door had that huge dent in it until we got rid of it a few years later. Remember, unless it's in writing, it didn't happen.

Hoods from Mitsu dealer are $609 us dollars. Paint can pe anywhere from 50 bucks to 350 depending on where and quality. Also make sure there is nothing else wrong, like a bent radiator support and other misc. things. Id say start with a thousand bucks.

ILLiCliPSE said:
Id keep it under the table and ask for cash...

My friend got hit from behind and the guy didnt have insurance. The guy wrote him a $500 dollar check on the spot and the thing is....my friends bumper "damage" was rubbed off. For you, Id go around and get an average on hoods, then bump it up a bit. But hey...your listening to a 17 year old right now...so I dont know the "RIGHT" thing to do. Just an idea.

Most people learn the hard way not to trust checks from people they don't know.

4BangR-x said:
Hoods from Mitsu dealer are $609 us dollars. Paint can pe anywhere from 50 bucks to 350 depending on where and quality. Also make sure there is nothing else wrong, like a bent radiator support and other misc. things. Id say start with a thousand bucks.

I would just get an estimate from a shop. Depending on the damage, you might be better off replacing hinges and latch as well.

If you do get an estimate tell them that an insurance company is going to pay for it.

1. Should i sue him + Hertz for letting him not drive with out insurance for the Ford?

You can't sue Hertz for letting him drive without insurance as he has to have his own insurance in order to rent the vehicle. He just did not opt to get the insurance that rental agencies offer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back