The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Got fired today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g spyder eclipse

Proven Member
Apr 30, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well, a month ago I got hired for a lube tech position at a chevy dealer. I really did love the job and the people I worked with. I busted my ass at this job because I love cars. I would like to think as my self as a hard worker. I never half ass stuff, unless it's on my own dime. When we take off tires, they get thrown into a scrap pile. I see everyone take from this scrap pile. So I asked the lube tech boss if I could snag some and he said sure. So I took two corvette tires. Well when I went into work today, the head manager called me and my boss into his office, I knew shit hit the fan. He asked me about the corvette tires, I fessed up right away and told him I took them and still have them. He told me they were warranty tires and shouldn't have been in that pile. I told him that I had no clue or I wouldn't have taken them. My boss even fessed up and said he told me I could take the tires. He asked me to put the tires back, so I did. Then when I came back he walked up and told me I was fired. He said that I stole and couldn't be trusted. I asked how it was stealing if I had permission? He denied a response. He pointed to a tiny sign behind the tires that said "Removing anything from this property is theft". I never saw the sign. It was behind a stack of tires, unless you looked really hard for it.

Was I wrongfully terminated? I feel horrible, and never want to be looked at as a thief. I just want someone to tell me I did nothing wrong.

You did NOTHING wrong, you sound like a hard worker. Someone had a burr up their arse is all. Go to another dealer where they are not crazy douche bags, I've worked in plenty of dealerships and some are great as far as being reasonable and some are idiots. They probably wanted rid of you because of winter coming up and things slow down this time of year, if they layed you off due to lack of work you could collect unemployment, if they fire you for good reason you cant collect (unless you are up to challenge them, which I definately would). Techs take tons of stuff home with them ALL day long bro, dont listen to any of their nonsense ramblings, you did the right thing and owned up to it and had permission to take the tires. Maybe go talk to the owner about things if you think the he is the type that is not on a power trip and is down to earth.

I always get scared with this type of stuff. I'd hate to go to the owner because what if he is an asshole and then tries to press charges for theft? It just seems like a lose lose to me. I really want to work at advance auto, but they never f***ing get back to me! LOL

Well I'm guessing your young? I say you should chalk this up as an experience working at a dealership.
Most dealer jobs are like this, politics, ass kissers, people on power trips. You being low man, service manager(?) had to play bad ass with you.
I'm sure they where looking for the tires to send back. Then went to SM. That caused him to have stop hitting on the chicks in the accounting office & actually do some work. So once it was all figured out he took it out on you.

I seen or went thru crap like this years ago with dealer jobs. They just suck. Now this is by no means a blanket statement about tech positions at dealers, but the decent places are rare.

What a load of bs. Sounds like your manager was just covering his own ass by firing you. That or it was a decision handed down by his superiors. Either way, forget them.

I really want to work at advance auto, but they never f***ing get back to me! LOL

No you don't. If you actually know something about cars you'll find yourself bored and surrounded by professional BS'ers.

Hell, the owner of my place fires CEOs to covers his ass with the customers. We've gone through five CEOs already with in the last year. ( I work at a automotive manufacturing company)

Stay with dealerships if you want any type of future. Go out and apply to all of them within an hour of where you live.

Stay with dealerships if you want any type of future. Go out and apply to all of them within an hour of where you live.
Not true i worked for a chevy dealer for a little over 5 yrs, and ive been at small family owned places, i am currently the a tech at a precision tune for the last 4 years and its about the best place ive found so far as far as treating its employees good, i have 5 kids, my wife is currently inbetween jobs and we are doing just fine[DOUBLEPOST=1414637273][/DOUBLEPOST]I saw crap just like this when i was at the dealer too but nowhere else

Well, a month ago I got hired for a lube tech position at a chevy dealer. I really did love the job and the people I worked with. I busted my ass at this job because I love cars. I would like to think as my self as a hard worker. I never half ass stuff, unless it's on my own dime. When we take off tires, they get thrown into a scrap pile. I see everyone take from this scrap pile. So I asked the lube tech boss if I could snag some and he said sure. So I took two corvette tires. Well when I went into work today, the head manager called me and my boss into his office, I knew sh** hit the fan. He asked me about the corvette tires, I fessed up right away and told him I took them and still have them. He told me they were warranty tires and shouldn't have been in that pile. I told him that I had no clue or I wouldn't have taken them. My boss even fessed up and said he told me I could take the tires. He asked me to put the tires back, so I did. Then when I came back he walked up and told me I was fired. He said that I stole and couldn't be trusted. I asked how it was stealing if I had permission? He denied a response. He pointed to a tiny sign behind the tires that said "Removing anything from this property is theft". I never saw the sign. It was behind a stack of tires, unless you looked really hard for it.

Was I wrongfully terminated? I feel horrible, and never want to be looked at as a thief. I just want someone to tell me I did nothing wrong.
CALL his boss and tell him the story if thats the case you and other guy should be fired dont back down call his boss then tell him your calling local news

I called the guy above my service manager. What a f***ing dick! Here is how the conversation went - "Hello, my name is *** and I was a lube tech for Holz. I was fired last week by Kevin Drury. I believe it was a little over the top. I was given permission by the lube tech manager that I could take a set of tires home from the scrap pile. A few day's later Mr. Drury asked me if I took them and I admitted so. He said they were warranty tires and that he needed them back, so I gladly handed them over. When I arrived back with the tires, he let me know I was being let go for theft. I was pretty surprised to be called a thief when I had permission to take the tires. I was had no clue they were warranty tires, or why they were in the scrap pile if they were. I am not begging for my job back if you believe this is proper procedure, I am just asking if this was called for?"... He only gave me a few "hmmss... and Ok's.."Throughout me saying all that. Then he said "Listen, you took the tires, and the lube tech manager had no power to give you permission. It was basically theft and we do not tolerate that at all." So I asked why everyone turned their head when all the service writers and mechanics took tires? He told me "No one takes tires".. That really pissed me off but I bit my tongue. I just responded - "Thank you for your time, sorry for any inconvenience."

What a bag of dicks. I wonder how much cum they had to guzzle to become "big wigs"..

There is a lot of rule-bending and looking the other way that happens at most jobs (at least the one's I've had). As a new person, you're not going to know what they are or who you can trust. Basically, if someone else is doing it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's okay, regardless of who they are. I get that you asked first before taking the tires, but seems like you got caught up in an unfortunate situation. The "lube manager" doesn't sound like he's that far up the chain and doesn't seem to be viewed with any regard by upper management based on what you've said. Would the outcome be different if you took tires that weren't warranty tires? Maybe, but you might have happened to take warranty tires at another point and ended up in the same situation. I would just use it as a learning experience. At your next job I would just stick to the rules and see how everything works for a few months. After that, you'll have a good idea of what is and isn't tolerated and who you can trust.

Trust no one, especially middle management. All I would have said to this last guy right before hanging up is "If that is what you believe, you really need to take a good look around." *click*

There is a lot of rule-bending and looking the other way that happens at most jobs (at least the one's I've had). As a new person, you're not going to know what they are or who you can trust. Basically, if someone else is doing it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's okay, regardless of who they are. I get that you asked first before taking the tires, but seems like you got caught up in an unfortunate situation. The "lube manager" doesn't sound like he's that far up the chain and doesn't seem to be viewed with any regard by upper management based on what you've said. Would the outcome be different if you took tires that weren't warranty tires? Maybe, but you might have happened to take warranty tires at another point and ended up in the same situation. I would just use it as a learning experience. At your next job I would just stick to the rules and see how everything works for a few months. After that, you'll have a good idea of what is and isn't tolerated and who you can trust.
Thank you so much for this advice. I guess I just expected to be treated like the old timers. I defenitly over stepped my bounds, I agree. And should have just stuck to the rules.

Forget them dude! They are the ones that lost out. What goes around comes around. You have the right attitude and you'll do good anywhere. Apply with the big companys, even out of state if you have to. Go for the big fish. It pay off in retirement. They need people with integrity. That place didn't have any or know what it is. Good luck! You'll do good.:hellyeah:

Why would you want to work there if they are going to treat you like this anyway?
Agreed! I know this is an old thread and all but I've been in a similar situation before.
I was a tech for Bobcat for 2 years and they treated me like crap all the time.....dont know if it was because I was the new guy or what but even the higher up managers were total dick bags. 2 years was all I could take of that crap before I gave a polite F U to them all and left, they were crying to have me back 2 months later tho hahah suckers.
If you cant get a job at a dealership try either a big fleet company or performance shops, those will be the only places before long. Small time shops are on the downward spiral with all these new vehicles needing special tools only dealerships have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back