The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

got a couple questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathew82284

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2006
sacramento, California
Thought it would be easyer to put it in one thread instead of multilple.

1. CA smog question, I have someone who is going to over look the visual but needs it to pass the test its self. i have a dejon upper intake and intake pipe with K&N fipk and a mbc on the car as of now. If i turned the boost down would that help at all like 6-8 psi or should i keep it at 12psi? Also i heard i should get it down the the E mark then fill 2 gal with 87 oct and put some rubbing alcohol in the tank to help it pass smog is this true? Does the octane make a difference when it comes to smog?

2. I need to clean out my stock smic and i was told to run gas throught the intercooler. Can i just take the upper and lower pipes off and do it wile its in the car instead to removing the bumper to get the smic out? I know water is dangerious to the engine but could i flush it with water at like 8pm and then let it dry overnight so by 12pm the next day i can drive it again or is this a no no? What else could i use to clean it with other than gas?

mathew82284 said:
got a couple questions
How odd. So few have questions here. USE DESCRIPTIVE THREAD TITLES.
1. CA smog question, I have someone who is going to over look the visual but needs it to pass the test its self. i have a dejon upper intake and intake pipe with K&N fipk and a mbc on the car as of now. If i turned the boost down would that help at all like 6-8 psi or should i keep it at 12psi?
The test for AWD doesn't get into boost. It will make no difference.
Also i heard i should get it down the the E mark then fill 2 gal with 87 oct and put some rubbing alcohol in the tank to help it pass smog is this true? Does the octane make a difference when it comes to smog?
Probably not beyond theoretically. High-octane gas contains more additives and burns "dirtier", but I seriously doubt the defference is enough to matter to the smog machine. And I strongly suspect the alcohol myth is just that.
2. I need to clean out my stock smic and i was told to run gas throught the intercooler. Can i just take the upper and lower pipes off and do it wile its in the car instead to removing the bumper to get the smic out?
Remove the bumper? I'd not use gas to clean it while it was still on the car. Maybe kerosene through a few times, with an alcohol or acetone chaser.
I know water is dangerious to the engine but could i flush it with water at like 8pm and then let it dry overnight so by 12pm the next day i can drive it again or is this a no no? What else could i use to clean it with other than gas?
Don't be concerned with drying it. The air going into it is over 200°F and will completely dry the IC within three miles. The volume of air going through will assure that there won't be enough of anything left in it to be concerned about.

Defiant said:
How odd. So few have questions here. USE DESCRIPTIVE THREAD TITLES.
The test for AWD doesn't get into boost. It will make no difference.
Probably not beyond theoretically. High-octane gas contains more additives and burns "dirtier", but I seriously doubt the defference is enough to matter to the smog machine. And I strongly suspect the alcohol myth is just that.
Remove the bumper? I'd not use gas to clean it while it was still on the car. Maybe kerosene through a few times, with an alcohol or acetone chaser.Don't be concerned with drying it. The air going into it is over 200°F and will completely dry the IC within three miles. The volume of air going through will assure that there won't be enough of anything left in it to be concerned about.

kerosene? Where can i puchase this at? Thanks for all your help.

Defiant said:
Any hardware store.

Thanks.

1 more question. Since the turbo has no effect on the engine would that mean that i can pass with a evo3 16g? Assuming the rest is stock, airbox, exhaust, pipes, injectors. Would a 190lbs fuel pump make it harder to pass smog too or should i put the stocker back in? I have to resmog it in the next year for dmv again and i dont want to have to remove it all so im just trying to see what i can remove and what i can leave. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back