The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

good year timing belt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreddySpyder

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2002
Alabama
Before people start flaming me, read what I have to say please. I took my car to the shop recently to have the timing belt, water pump, and a broken motor mount bolt fixed. I've had a lot on my mind lately and the brand of belt that my mechanic would use was the last thing on my mind.
I just thought today to ask what brand belt he was using and he told me that he was using a good year timing belt. So I started thinking "great, i know that everybody says to not use anything but Mitsubishi timing belts". He has worked on a number of DSMs before and he assured me that good year and mitsubishi belts are the best ones to use on our cars.
I'm feeling pretty sick about the whole matter at this point as the whole reason I was having the timing belt changed was so that I wouldn't have to worry about it snapping, but now these posts have me worried all over again.
Anybody that has had personal experience with using a good year timing belt please respond and let me know if your experience has been a good or bad one. Thanks in advance.

I have a goodyear gatorback belt on mine... Supposedly its the only other belt safe to use.

Originally posted by sknydave
I have a goodyear gatorback belt on mine... Supposedly its the only other belt safe to use.

How many miles have you put on this belt so far? Did you use a Mitsubishi or aftermarket tensioner with it?

It cant be that bad. Ive seen the goodyear belt sold on many vendors timing belt kits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back