The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

good mods for lightweight

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaHunter2002

20+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2002
Windsor_Ontario
what are somethings i can change on my car to make it lighter.. i have done all the mods i can afford up to now.. only thing really left is turbo.. but first i want to make it lightweight cuz i can't affrod turbo right now.. what are some things i could change to make my car lighter... list them and where to get the parts...

WEIGHT REDUCTION LIST FOR A FIRST-GEN....

Stock Weight Measured on State Certified CAT Scale 3,070
(Loaded 1990GSX without sunroof and 1/8 tank gas)

Items Taken Away
Rear Seats (upper and lower, leather) 40
Drivers Seat (Leather Adj lumbar) 50
Pass Seat 45
Spare Tire and Jack 35
Various Materials (Spare tire cover, privacy cover etc) 20
Front Seat Belt Assembly (Complete) 30
Rear Seat Belt Assemblies, Speakers and mounting 18
Sound Material Inside Car 25
Stock Radio/CD Player/Amp 10
Front Bumper Support (Completely Removed) 35
Rear Bumper Support (Completely Removed) 32
Fog Lights 5
AC (Everything Removed) 45
Charcol Canister and Battery Tray 6
Driver Side Fan 6
Cruise 6
Various Brackets (Fire wall brackets, Intake, air can, heat shields etc) 10
Rear Wiper Assemby 5

is this for the steet or for the strip? cause if its for the street i dont think its all that neccessary. ive heard that 100lbs taken off takes about .1 seconds off your 1/4 but i dont think youd really notice it. if anything, id think youd be hearing a lot more noise with all that stuff removed, could get annoyin aftera while. jsut my .02

umm...

-lightweight flywheel
-remove ac
-replace stock exhaust components with titanium (BLING BLING!!)
-lighter rims (less than 18 lbs. per wheel)

I'm all out of ideas right now...but if I think of some more, I'll let ya know.

Originally posted by eclipsinemcee
is this for the steet or for the strip? cause if its for the street i dont think its all that neccessary. ive heard that 100lbs taken off takes about .1 seconds off your 1/4 but i dont think youd really notice it. if anything, id think youd be hearing a lot more noise with all that stuff removed, could get annoyin aftera while. jsut my .02

Ok, here's my $0.02, and pleeze, don't get offended Eclipsinemcee, this isn't a personal attack, just a response to your comment about .1 sec in a quarter.

I kinda like math, so this may get boring, but here are the numbers you need to know if you want to really examine 1/4 mile racing.

1 Mile = 5280 Feet (1609.36 Meters)
1/4 Mile = 1320 Feet (402.34 Meters)

100 Mph = 528,000 Feet per hour
528,000 FPH = 8,800 Feet per minute
8,800 FPM = 146.66 Feet per second
146.66 FPS = 14.66 Feet per 1/10th of a second

How long is your car? Even if you're only going 80Mph at the end of the quarter you're still going 11.73 feet per 1/10 second. I've seen races lost by much less than 11 feet. If you're serious about racing, the 100Lbs is worthwile. I perfer to be comfortable in my car and 99.9% of the time I'm just crusing, so I take the .1 sec as an even trade...not that I race this car anyway, but my '69 H/O has nothing in it that is not required for me to drive it to a track. I refuse to trailer it so it still has lights and blinkers and a horn, but not extra seats, though I left the carpet and dash trim...but I'm just kinda weird that way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back