The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Going to see a 4G63T Motor for sale tomorrow. Tips please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon55

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Miami, Florida
Well as some of you know, my motor has severe rod knock and a rebuild is out of the question (it will cost more than a swap). So I spoke on the phone with a guy my friend knows that sells motors and eclipses. I mentioned if there was any sludge and he said "Nah, none of that." But then again, you never know and i'll still check for it. We arranged to meet up tomorrow so I can check out the motor. If I decide to buy it, it will go to me for $700, which isn't bad. :D

Now any tips besides opening the valve cover to check for sludge, because that's about all I know how to do, LOL. :coy: I would also assume to check the crankshaft for any scoring and try to turn it, but I don't know how to do that.

Anything else I need to know and how to do it? I would appreciate it because I need to know what i'm going to get myself into with this used motor.

Thanks! :thumb:

AIIGHT AIIGHT!!! :cool: Good, and i'm looking to do this test on about 5 rod bearings beneath the crankshaft, correct? If so, then i'm spot on and know exactly what your talking about, thanks to Justin's first crankwalk video above.

I think I just had some dejavou (sp?) or something, I could have sworn you were in one of my previous engine knocking threads one night before I got banned. I still remember because of your username and avatar click together, I have a great sense of photographic memory. :D

no theres only four rods that conect to your pistons. the other are the main caps that is what hold your crankshaft

Ah ok, gotcha! :thumb:

Sorry to bother you but one last question about what was mentioned earlier with the cam sensors being different on the 95 and 96 models from the 97-99 models.... Let's say the motor is clean and there are no problems with it, so I buy it. I'm having a mechanic do the full swap for me and i'm paying him for it. Will this cam sensor issue be obvious and easy for my mechanic to notice this difference right off the bat, then properly adjust for it himself, making my car run great?

its not a big thing. so when you get the motor just look up a thread about it you will find somthing about it. im just not sure about the cam angle and crank angle sensors. good luck man hope it works out for you

Thanks bro, appreciate it! :thumb:

I might be back tomorrow with some more info/updates on how it went. :cool:

Also $400? LOL, he would laugh tho. If someone can pull that off, then it's an excellent hustle no doubt. But then again, I got him to drop it from $1,000 to $700 and now, trying to get it to $600. I'm trying to have him drop the price 40%, which isn't bad at all. Even a 30% price drop isn't bad. Now $400, I doubt anybody will drop anything more than half off nowadays unless if someone works as a negotiator for the FBI or something.
You'd be surprised how low someone will sell something for that they fear they'll be stuck with. If the same guy sold a '99 motor with 68k a few weeks ago for $600, he'll sell this one for $400....just bring up the points I described before:

- You cannot hear the engine run.
- The engine has over 100k on it, as most would nowadays. Less miles would make it worth more.
- The '95-'96 motors are supposed to be the least reliable. Make that point very apparent.
- If he doesn't let you remove the valve cover or oil pan, you can't inspect for damage. This lowers the value drastically.

All of this goes out the window if he's willing to give you a written guarantee of the engine's condition. If he can guarantee it's a good engine, it's worth $600. If all is well, he should have nothing to worry about.

hey falcon, let me know how the engine looks, and make sure carlos gives you some type of waranty...at least a 30 say, so if u get it and the mechanic puts it in, and it knocks or doesnt run right you can get another one or at least your money back!

you can always buy a motor form jdm of miami, just like your brother did with his 240...

DSM's are not Honda's. The "JDM" rule doesn't apply to cars that are built in the US market only.

At best you'll pay three times as much for a Japanese engine from a Galant or Evo III which will have the same performance as the engine it's replacing. You can do a nice, mild-build on your engine for what you'd have in a JDM 4G63.

hey falcon, let me know how the engine looks, and make sure carlos gives you some type of waranty...at least a 30 say, so if u get it and the mechanic puts it in, and it knocks or doesnt run right you can get another one or at least your money back!

Oh snap, wazzup man!? I didn't know you post on here still, LOL! I knew u had an account on here but I never thought you used it! OMG I'll keep you updated man, how's your GST Spyder holding up? I know your Yamaha R6 doesn't have any problems and is running tough. It's one of the cleanest crotch rockets i've seen, bro! :p Also how's your sister and her eclipse spyder going?

:thumb:

you can always buy a motor form jdm of miami, just like your brother did with his 240...

Yea, my bro's 240sx is holding up strong! No joke, so whatever he did was right. I'll keep you posted and updated on this, i'll be sure to drop a call on your phone after I check out the motor. :cool:

Oh and Justin, i'll be sure to try some of those hustle tactics! I'll let you know how it goes today (I couldn't see the motor yesterday because of college, so i'm going to look at it today after I get out of class at 3:30pm).

Your car looks familiar... when you bought it did it have a turboXs bov ?

Here is a thread I first posted when I created an account on this site, there are a hella lot of pics about my car, previous bov (now I have a Greddy Type S) and the rest of the engine bay, etc.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/new...-do-i-have-compressor-surge-turbo-damage.html

Check out both pages on the thread and let me know if it's the car you think it is. :cool:

Pull the head if you can and check the pistons for valve contact/condition, check the head/valves too. Local guy just got screwed out of $$$ because he didn't want to bother pulling the head, now he has to sell it off and buy another motor.

Carlos sold me a tranny for my 95 420A a few years ago, he's a good dude to deal with but I hear now he's a little shady. He's probably on his 8th Ebay account now and got alot of negative feedbacks on the previous ones. He used to partner with this guy Jason who contacted me several months ago to inform they weren't doing business anymore because of Carlos's lack of customer service skills. Lol Very strange. It is good that he's local though so you can find him if he tries to scam you with a bad motor I guess. Lol

Hope everything goes well. Post back and let us know.

Well that's messed up, he sold the motor today for $700 so when I got out of college, I didn't even get to go see it because when I called him, he told me he sold it today in the morning. Kinda messed up tho and I even mentioned it to him saying "But I told you yesterday that I was going to see it today after I got out of college..." Then he said sorry because had to sell it this morning. I don't blame him tho, in this world there is the first come first serve rule and I respect that. But then again, i'm kinda glad it's sold because I wasn't too sure about buying a 96 engine and putting it into my 97, I just don't like doing that.

Now he told me he has a 1997 short block, just the bottom half of the motor. He's letting it go for $350. Afterwards, I called my mechanic to ask if a short block would work and he suggested that he wouldn't do it. Even if we swap the short block, the top half of the engine (cams) may have gotten damaged in the process because I basically ran my car until it couldn't run no more (right before it seized). If I shut it off quickly and caught it in time, then never drove it, I probably could have just swapped the short block out.

Carlos sold me a tranny for my 95 420A a few years ago, he's a good dude to deal with but I hear now he's a little shady. He's probably on his 8th Ebay account now and got alot of negative feedbacks on the previous ones. He used to partner with this guy Jason who contacted me several months ago to inform they weren't doing business anymore because of Carlos's lack of customer service skills. Lol Very strange. It is good that he's local though so you can find him if he tries to scam you with a bad motor I guess. Lol

Hope everything goes well. Post back and let us know.

DAMN, LOL. It's a small world! Jason? Does he own a 1G DSM? If so, then I just may know who your talking about, LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back